1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

Oxley speed limit update + info on the save Oxley ride

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Russ, Sep 28, 2016.

1. RowBust

RowBust Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really 200, there aren't any spots on that part of the Oxley where even the best riders could get near that
  2. CJL00

CJL00 Who said top boxes are useless?

Oddometer:
    A. I didn't say 200 on a particular piece of road anywhere B. I would think there are a few spots it would be possible on the best modern machinery but it means nothing. My original post was to point out if some of us ride like idiots on these roads unfortunately we will all be treated as such. If we don't want that to happen we need to call out the idiot and tell them to take it somewhere else.
    DOT likes this.
  3. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    @RowBust you're just trying to validate anti social behaviour.
    I have had plenty of quick road rides and all well within my ability but the fact remains the faster you travel, the less room there is for error.
    The error doesn't have to be yours but as the speed rises, room for correction reduces.
    You can say I have been "brainwashed" but the reality is I grew up and stopped being a selfish prat.
    Like already been said, there is a time an a place and the road isn't the place to exploit your crotch rocket.
    It's no different for people who ride off road, if you don't ride like there's something coming towards you around that blind corner, then it's time you woke up to yourself.
    If you want to test your ability and or machine, put it on a trailer, go to the track and pit yourself against other like minded individuals.
    OzRider64 and DOT like this.
  4. RowBust

RowBust Long timer

Oddometer:
    I said I know the blokes, I never said I ride with them so don't assume that, don't lecture me,I've been riding since I was 12,I'm now 76, I've ridden and seen more than probably most of you, I've never lost my licence which is clean.As for racing I've lined up for many races when younger. So stop being a holier than thou prat and enjoy and let others also
    crazy cat and Blakduk like this.
  5. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is what Ninja 300s, R3s and KTM 390s are for.
    RowBust likes this.
  6. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    @RowBust you seem a little insecure for a 76 year old who's been riding since they were 12.
    You first tell me I've been brainwashed, you then accuse me of giving lectures and assuming that you ride with these chaps who trailer their bikes.
    All because I have expressed my opinion formed from only 50 years of riding, sorry I can't boast at being 76 as I'm only 57.
    Enjoy your riding in whatever form that takes.
  7. RowBust

RowBust Long timer

Oddometer:
    You forgot to mention that you were doing about 120 and had just passed a car over the double lines
    Blakduk likes this.
  8. RowBust

RowBust Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't know what your point is but I'm as secure as anyone
    Blakduk likes this.
  9. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:

Mate.... not once did I exceed the limit on THAT road. Never ben on it before so took my time.

You never know where Smokey Bear will be.
  10. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:
    And mate... you took me to Ginger's Creek and the bloody place was closed.

Not happy Jan!
    BygDaddee likes this.
  11. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    I was told they had good pies, so its worth another trip once they open :D

Happy Snapper likes this.
  12. CJL00

Oddometer:
    Wow, were you there? You appear to know more than you are letting on it seems. Yes, I had just overtaken a 4wd ute with a camper trailer. I had followed him for half a dozen or more corners, we came to a longer straight section with good visibility the ute slowed and waved me past. Did you see or were told that part? A few k's after that I came up behind another ute who, after another half a dozen or so corners also slowed in a section and put his blinker on for me to overtake. As it was a left hand bend and I could not see past him on how long to the next tight corner I didn't go. A few more corners and he pulled into a parking area to let me past. The same happened again near Gingers Creek. If the vehicle in front waves you past or pulls over to let you go that is considerate driving and has even happened to me when driving a truck.

Your point? The vehicles I overtook knew I was there and prepared and help me overtake them, I didn't come out of nowhere at warp speed and scare or intimidate them, hence there will be no complaints to anyone. Nor did I put anyone, myself included, in any position of harm. Let your mate know he seemed to be able to handle the bike well but all he is doing riding like that is giving the rest of us a bad name and bringing unwanted police attention to a road we can all currently enjoy. Currently, due to blokes like him, you cannot travel the Waterfall Way from Bellingen to Armidale without seeing at least 2 highway patrols, sometimes more. The Oxley too gets plenty of attention which will only increase if he and his mates keep riding like that. Personally, I would rather see those police resources directed towards catching thieving bastards and drug pushers. AND, for the record, I have chastised many a mate/friend/acquaintance for riding like a dickhead (them, not your mate), particularly when they are putting their and other's lives at risk. On road and off road.
    Ducksbane and Wodger63 like this.
  13. GTinAus

GTinAus nutsplitter

Oddometer:
    Once or twice a year we tow our 25ft. caravan from Uralla to Port, and back (yeah, yeah, I know, bloody caravanners, but if somebody is behind me, I will pull off, where I can to let them past), but we have got to the stage of trying to not travel on the Oxley on weekends, due to the number of complete idiots riding, who seem to believe they are the only ones on the road. The worst are the ones that ride in a pack.
    The front runners are trying to stay in front, and the back riders are trying to keep up, and it is quite possible both are riding beyond their limits.

I am not claiming to be a saint when I ride, but I always try to ride within my limits.

Just another old blokes rant.
  14. OldDog

OldDog non impediti ratione cogitationis

Oddometer:
    Went up those windy bits for the first time the other day. On the 1290 SAR, scarcley a soul to be seen and had a glorious time of it
    RowBust and Oxleyrider like this.
  15. Oxleyrider

Oxleyrider n00b

Oddometer:
    If you were so worried maybe you should have went and talked to the guys yourself, your story is the same as the guys who ride the hill every week, riding within your abilities and having fun doing it. Im sure there were guys up there who got rounded up by you doing your 100-120 just as you were, maybe you shouldn't throw stones in glass houses.
    RowBust and Andrew2 like this.
  16. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
  17. CJL00

Oddometer:
    If they were stopped i probably would have stopped for a chat but was not going to chase or backtrack to find them. I also did not round anyone up at all. My comment was not to say don't enjoy yourself, just don't treat a public road like a race track and then whine like a schoolgirl when they drop speed limits and deploy speed cameras and highway patrol squads. Anyway, I have said my piece enough, take it on board or ignore it, your choice.
  18. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    There are “Like” buttons. But where are the “Don’t Like” buttons? I’d be dishing those babies out.
    CJL00 likes this.
  19. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    you can borrow mine.
    I have 2 that I use from time to time.. :D
    edit. Just so there’s no confusion, mine is not about your post.
    I’m a pro we should have a dislike button.:thumb

I’m not jumping into this thread.
    I of course think I’m one of those “safe” speeders, that travels safely above the speed limit.. :fpalm

Here ya go. :thumb

5D9AE4B3-E42F-4FDD-8754-40D44F182089.jpeg Nogoodnamesleft dislikes this

Or

5D9AE4B3-E42F-4FDD-8754-40D44F182089.jpeg Nogoodnamesleft dislikes this and thinks you're really, really, extra really, then add a little bit more... EXTRA REALLY FUCKING STUPID !!!!
    Blakduk likes this.
  20. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:
    And Cruz has a good book of all the local rides.. so we had better bring him too.