Oz Honda CRF450L's sign in here..

Discussion in 'Australia' started by trekxr, Feb 12, 2020.

1. trekxr

trekxr 888

Oddometer:
    Show us your ADV setup! image1_orig - Copy.jpg
  2. bigredroosta

bigredroosta Long timer

Oddometer:
    The bike that hasn't exactly been the hit for Honda they were hoping for.
    I have one.

They nearly got it right, but that 7.6L tank, what were they thinking? And most aftermarket tank manufacturers haven't felt it warrants a look. Also I find the touchy throttle response a pain in the arse, especially off idle, even with the G2 throttle tamer its jerky and aggressive, not smooth . Vortec have an aftermarket ECU (for too much $$$$) which is claimed to "fix" it, but only in combination with an aftermarket power pipe, also +$$$$.
    trekxr how do you find the bike? How do you carry extra fuel?
    Aside from that, the engine power on the gas is good, the suspension and handling seem pretty good too, brakes, and has a very solid subframe.

So, throw $1500 more at it, or sell the bitch.....
    Think I'll go read some more pirate jokes!
    Dukehunt likes this.
  3. trekxr

trekxr 888

Oddometer:
    Hey mate Ive been thinking of getting one for a while, after riding one i agree with you, just looking for the all in one rig to do it all. As you have said Honda just haven't sold it well to us in Oz. I started this thread to get real life opinions and experiences on this potential "Unicorn". cheers for you input!
  4. Redrider67

Redrider67 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In regards to the larger fuel tank supply, I think Nomad Tanks are currently developing a 20 litre fuel tank for the CRF450L.
    I have seen a photo of the owners bike with one on and it looks good.
    Get in contact with them and get an idea of production supply etc.
  5. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    This fixed the same throttle on/off that my 650Xchallenge had, without any other changes to exhaust or air cleaner etc. Fit and forget!
    IMG_20200213_144647.jpg

The BoosterPlug tuning module requires no programming or additional parts, and it's easy and fast to install. Plug and play.

Release the full potential in your motorcycle:
    - Improved and softer throttle response
    - Improved acceleration performance
    - Say goodbye to the low speed surge issue
    - Takeoff made easy by the stronger idle
    - Reduced popping in your aftermarket exhaust

This version of the BoosterPlug covers the Honda CRF450L from 2018 and newer.
    Blakduk, GodSilla and Hoots like this.
  6. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Every seond XChallenge was running one of these
    Ducksbane, Cruz and bigredroosta like this.
  7. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    The throttle thing is a bit individual

I had a decent ride on one, and didn't mind the throttle - bike felt quite playful

These bikes are dirt cheap at the moment - incredibly cheap really - very good value

Brand new $11K ride away
    bigredroosta likes this.
  8. benzo

benzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I liked the throttle when I test rode it - it was quite fun. As times gone on it's become a bit irritating at low speed, and i'm just not getting used to it. I can forgive it this fault however for how it starts to behave over 80. Most of my riding is solo and remote so i'm a bit cautious about dicking around with ecu's and the like. Even with the twitchy throttle it shits all over my old husky 610 as a do it all bike, and it felt better on the road to me than the new 690 I test rode(I wanted to like it but it just felt all wrong for some reason).
    Looked at getting a custom seat but got a seat concepts seat as I figured having a complete second seat could be handy and it was only about $100 more than a custom job. Riding from Sunny coast to lakes entrance in a couple of weeks so hopefully it's worth the money!
    Blakduk, Hoots and GodSilla like this.
  9. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Keep us posted on the KM's you are doing and oil chnage frequencies, still thinkinf these things are a nice choice, I have been watching some oveeseas bikes closely and they are going well
    Hoots likes this.
  10. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    Mind you, what other manufactures enduro option you want to set up for light adventure/trail doesnt have the same/simialair things addressed by owners ?

you only have to look at them to see the money spent, not that I have a problem with that, I do it too
  11. bigredroosta

bigredroosta Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I think that hard riding kms are twice? as tough on sump and tranny oil as cruisy kms, therefore I don't see a problem extending the service frequency, as well as keeping an eye on how it looks on the dipstick, depends on your own personal consideration. Sure, religious adhesion to the recommended oil changes is the safest option though.
    BygDaddee likes this.
  12. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    i agree, Ive alway done same with my WRF’s, anywhere from 1000km to 2500km just fitting in with rides and convenience, the only time i ever saw oil come out that looked bad, was this one time I binned it in a creek, but i changed that same day :D
    trekxr and bigredroosta like this.
  13. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tom (@GodSilla), if you're reading this thread, reckon you could consider one of these to go forward with post bushfire cleanout ...

I know a local bloke with one - probably be happy to give you a ride

Like a cross between your old TTR and XR 600 - but with very good suspension ...
    Cruz likes this.
  14. benzo

benzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've kept pretty close to the oil change schedules just because the oil always smells of fuel. Its always clean and its not really increasing in volume though.
  15. bigredroosta

bigredroosta Long timer

Oddometer:
    20 litre tank on CRF450L.jpg Good news Red, confirmed that Nomad has a 20L coming soon, here is a sneaky spy shot...looks just the business for a 400+ kms between fills CRF450L 20 litre tank.jpg
    trekxr, GSXR, LivingdeadCamo and 2 others like this.
  16. bigredroosta

bigredroosta Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now Mr Honda, fix the fueling problem causing the defective throttle operation! With a service bulletin...
  17. PomInAus

PomInAus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve got one. Looking to make it a light adventure bike. The 20L Nomad tank was meant to be out now. He’s also said to be working on a 15L tank which I think would be the sweet spot on this bike, has said this will be available at Easter. However, I’m not holding my breath! Might go the IMS. seat is a shocker, I went the Seat Concepts comfort XL.
    The throttle is an emissions thing, basically the ECU cuts fuel off completely when the bike is warm and the throttle goes to off, this causes the back fires and the stalling, plus the snatchiness. Only the Vortex completely fixes it, although there is a fellow Aussie with a fix using a resistor to trick the ECU into thinking the bike is cold and keeping the fuelling on.
    Fuel wise, ive just got a B&B rack and the 1.75 gallon rotopax to try for extra fuel.
    Also got the Adventure Spec mini fairing, got a plug for the accessory socket, Barkbusters and fat bars with a higher bend. I’ve also got a low fender I want to try, to help with stability at high road speeds.
    maintenance wise, I figure the small amount of oil the bike takes and how easy it is to change that it’s not an issue and cheap insurance. There’s a guy in the USA just clocked 14,000 miles, he does the oil every 600, adjusted the valves to top of spec on first service and they haven’t needed touching since.
  18. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    Yeah 15 is a great size for that sort of bike
    trekxr, GodSilla and PomInAus like this.
  19. PomInAus

PomInAus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One good thing is the bike records fuel used, so even if you swap the tank you don’t need a clear one to see how fuel there is as you can see burn
  20. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    :scratch Is it just me and my browser, or is that photo of the Honda posted 4 times in a row? I got dizzy reading that post....:dic