1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Oz/Kiwi KTM 640 ADV riders sign in here please.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by overlandr, May 10, 2006.

1. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    @enookway

Sure! zing me a post address :)
  2. enookway

enookway Are we having fun yet?

Oddometer:
    PM Sent. The photo highlights a bit if a gap in my question. I also need the frame brackets that the pegs mount to.
  3. rvt

rvt Big Fat Trail Bikes

Oddometer:
    @enookway you can have these for postage, if no luck with @braaap! Will be from Perth way, not sure of $
    No rubber grips unfortunately. [​IMG]
  4. rvt

rvt Big Fat Trail Bikes

Oddometer:
    I managed to get hold of a standard ktm hgs4 muffler locally, thanks to Jabba600 and Dave (not sure if Dave is on here).

It seems a bit quieter than the staintune, so the mission is sort of accomplished

Bit confused now though. Being me, I pulled the large end cap off to look inside. After much researching, I expected it to contain a few sections of perforated pipe, with the flow taking a path backward and forward to the outlet.

What I could see was a pipe projecting into the front end, a void in the middle, and a perforated pipe surrounded by packing at the rear. The packing goes all the way to the end cap. No discs that I could see. This is all by peering into the end so may not be completely accurate. I could poke a plastic strip all the way through.

It also has a removable tailpipe insert thingy, like the staintune.

Is this what the Australian hgs4 is like? Or has mine been modified somehow?
    The markings are KTM HGS 4 e1 0272

It seems a bit quieter than the staintune, so the mission is sort of accomplished.
  5. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Not sure, will go look at mine which is the EU/AU spec likely the same as yours. This is a completely different beast to the USA-spec muffler which is a SuperTrapp with their signature end-discs under the end cap. The USA-spec item is 1 kg heavier, too. I'm running a USA-spec with more discs than standard so it is a bit more open than the EU/AU one. Probably should chase up an SXC one to shave some weight.
    rvt likes this.
  6. rvt

rvt Big Fat Trail Bikes

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bikemoto.
    I found the claw hammer was the best tool for working the end cap out, after removing the three screws. If you go that far.
  7. rvt

rvt Big Fat Trail Bikes

Oddometer:
    With the end cap removed, lit up inside with a telescopic torch.
    [​IMG]
  8. Aussie Steve

Aussie Steve Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just had a look at my stock muffler, looks to be a baffled job as can see an end cap though the tip with cutouts around the outside for exhaust flow, also no insert in mine.
    rvt likes this.
  9. rvt

rvt Big Fat Trail Bikes

Oddometer:
    Thanks Aussie Steve. Is the end cap on a perforated tube? Which end? Or am I picturing it wrong?
  10. Aussie Steve

Aussie Steve Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haven't been real thorough with inspection but end cap appears to be welded to outer housing at three points with exhaust flow between the cap and outer section. This is looking in the exhaust outlet with the end cap still in place.

I am disorganised at the moment and have broken my phone so cant send you pictures this week, can follow up later if you like.
    rvt likes this.
  11. Aussie Steve

Aussie Steve Long timer

Oddometer:
    Question for those with non cush drive hubs, have you done much road biased riding on them without failure?

Just gave the bike a look over before next weekends 1500ish km ride which will have plenty of road, my rear cush drive rim is stuffed. Thinking if time beats me will just chuck a good non cush drive wheel on as that many ks on a 10 year old wheel shouldn't be asking for too much trouble. Anyone with any experience??
  12. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I run a non-cush hub on my '95 XR600R. It's seen lots of tar kilometres, but I always run full knobbies as I figure the knob flex is as good as a cush hub.
  13. Aussie Steve

Aussie Steve Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gods, think the old xr hubs were built with a little less consideration given to weight. Know the 625s were prone to cracking hubs at the drive flange but wasn't sure how long it was taking.
  14. motolab

motolab Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd be more concerned about the transmission (that's what the cush drive is meant to protect).

Regards,

Derek
  15. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Exactly.
  16. Toe - Cutter

Toe - Cutter 666

Oddometer:

Trashed a hub , @ krawarree

3500k trip,

During ,,,,Did,nt bother to check touque on sprocket bolts ,

Came Loose from lotsa transport sections ,

Old bloke in a kingswood stopped and we fished out a few odd bolts rolling around in the recesses of his boot, bunch ah zip ties ,

Got me top speed off 30 k ph

Now I carry a spare set of bolts .....

Luckily it happened about 100 k from home ,
  17. enookway

Oddometer:
    All good, @braaap! had the brackets as well.
    Many thinks to @braaap! for his generous donation to the greater motorcycledom.

Did anyone on here pick up this bargain:
    625SXC Ebay Tamworth.JPG

Sounds like it wasn't a basket case either:
    I brought it about 6 months ago to get on the road but the same old story haven't got time. I have cleaned the carburetor out and had it running for about five minutes. The motor turn over free on starter motor with the decompression lever on but only just turn over with it off. Kicking its hard with the left hand kicker. Seems to have good compression. Have books........

5776km
  18. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    Time to kick this thready back into action. Q. I wonder if anyone has come across one of these fairings in oz, top half from a 660 rr tall fairing and bottom "as you were" from a 640A. They seem to be popular on pre-2007 640A dakar entrants' bikes.

[​IMG]

The rider above has a bit of a long story on his own Paris-Dakar race. Anyone whom can handle french, its all here. Actually, it sounds exciting stuff, eg "Je m’arrête à nouveau sur le bord de la piste, un contrôleur me crie qu’il ne faut pas rester là, les voitures arrivent ! Je me range un peu mieux pour une nouvelle réparation… « TRIIIT-TRIIIT-TRIIIT…TRIIIT-TRIIIT-TRIIIT ! ! ! » hurle le buzzer de mon SENTINEL. Voilà la première voiture."

PS He's got the right bike for the rallye but what about the rider? Guessing one should have a skillset that includez dis 'ere !

19. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    The guy in the red gear must be huge.......he makes the 640 look small!

Cheers
  20. enookway

Oddometer: