Oz/Kiwi KTM 640 ADV riders sign in here please.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by overlandr, May 10, 2006.

1. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    New rubbers is tight. :nod (wait until you try and remove it soon after fitting .....:knary)

Some rubber grease may assist if you have any. Otherwise, try talc?
  2. rowie

rowie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate. I have both. Will try talc first. If that doesn't work, then grease it is :D
  3. rowie

rowie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Noticed a couple of weeps from the left radiator. Gave them a poke and this happened

Rads.jpg

The only options seem to be the Chinese versions from Ebay. Has anyone fitted them to a 625? If so, did they fit okay and is there any clearance issues with the fan and 27L Safari tank cross brace?

The bike has been sitting for about 8 years and there is a lot of rust in the bottom tanks. Not sure where the rust would have come from because I thought everything the coolant touched was alloy. Planning to put new seal and bearings in the water pump, and I'll check the thermostat while I'm at it.
  4. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I'd stay away from Chinese ebay stuff.
    Look for a decent radiator repairer/fabricator and get them redone or remade, with an extra core maybe for the Queensland heat eh. That's an option if you have bucks to spare. I seem to recall a couple of businesses used to advertise in the Australian Motor Ccycle News a few years ago for that service, so I'd suppose there's still folks around who do it.
    Locally, I use a bloke in Canberra who can fix anything made of any metal, basically. He didn't even take money for the last job (a split KTM bashplate, almost split in half..). He did the best repair job on the crankcase of my old TY250 twinshock too, without splitting the cases either, and it was better than original when he was done. He's done my XR a couple of times too. He'd fix a radiator, probably put a new bottom on the tank eh and weld it in, that would be the easiest/cheapest repair and you could inspect the guts while the bottom was off.
  5. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    I got some of the cheap Rads for the 640, off NZ trademe site but ex Oz 'alloyworks' They were pretty much identical to stock, apart from the thermoswitch fitting which was too small a thread. I drilled & tapped it to the correct M18 x 1.5, there was plenty of meat in the boss to do that, & they have been running happily for 3 years+.

Cheers
    Clint
    GodSilla likes this.
  6. enookway

enookway Are we having fun yet?

Oddometer:
    GodSilla likes this.
  7. rowie

rowie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate. I cut the bottom tank off and found the tube headers are just about shagged as well. So it went into the recycle bin. I have a new right side radiator which I picked up dirt cheap from ebay. Not having much luck finding a suitable left side companion for it, so it looks like the Chinese versions are the best option at this stage. I've done a lot of searching and haven't seen any negative comments about them when fitted to LC4s.
    GodSilla likes this.
  8. rowie

rowie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Clint. Found the alloyworks versions on ebay and have ordered a set.
  9. rowie

rowie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GodSilla likes this.
  10. rowie

rowie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Checked the rest of the cooling system after finding the forked radiators.

Oh dear

IMG_20190914_175359946.jpg

IMG_20190914_221052593.jpg

IMG_20190915_080436357.jpg

IMG_20190915_101521694.jpg

IMG_20190915_101747726.jpg

IMG_20190915_101635688.jpg

So it looks like I'll be removing the head and cylinder so they can be thoroughly cleaned and checked. Bike has done 12000km, but I'll replace the rings because they won't go back in the exact position. Anything else I should check or replace while it's apart? Obviously the water pump housing is one thing :-)
    Sigh.....
  11. enookway

enookway Are we having fun yet?

Oddometer:
    Starter sprague clutch spring
    Water pump bearings and seals
    Camshaft bearings
    Rocker needle bearings

There was a bit of discussion about this around page 278 of this thread
  12. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    :fpalm That bike looks to have been run on straight water @rowie. A good pressure clean of the coolant galleries will be required to get all the rust slime out eh.
  13. OzCRU

OzCRU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How about a soda blast?
  14. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Or seawater maybe? :eekers The coolant circuit in mine has always been quite clean when I've had things apart.

12000km is bugger all really, apart from the obviously rooted bits I wouldn't get too carried away replacing stuff unless it definitely needs it, but I would give it all a good check.

Cheers
    Clint
  15. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I'm with you, the rocker arm bearings I'd replace because they do randomly fail in some low-k bikes, but otherwise just seals and damaged bits.
  16. rowie

rowie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks blokes. Going to pull it apart today and hopefully there wont be any more expensive surprises. It has been sitting for about 8 years now so I guess the fluid that was in the radiators was the remains of the factory coolant. Still a bit worried about the rust though. Hopefully the cylinder bolts are not in the coolant galleries. So far the only steel touching the coolant I've found is the 2 bolts holding the thermostat housing, which were corroded on the end.

An engine builder here has a big ultrasonic cleaner now, so I'll take the parts to him and ask if it will get all the shite out of the galleries.

The new radiators arrived yesterday

IMG_20190920_175115243 (1).jpg

FFS :fpalm

I'll post some photos once I have it apart.
    mcguyver and braaap! like this.
  17. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    These things and their parts are becoming a bit like 'hens teeth'... Let's look after them!
    mcguyver likes this.
  18. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would anyone have a late good clutch master for sale?
  19. rowie

rowie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is what it looked like inside the water jacket.

IMG_20190922_140258657.jpg

IMG_20190922_140607688.jpg

IMG_20190922_140652473.jpg

IMG_20190922_140857883.jpg

Luckily it looked much worse than it actually was. Gave it a blast with the Gerni and most of it cleaned out.

IMG_20190922_181254663.jpg

Just have to wait for parts now
    mcguyver and GodSilla like this.
  20. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey @rowie grab some of this gear from Supercheap Auto... Brilliant rust remover! Will clean out the water jacket galleries like new.
    Non toxic, bio-degradable... Will not affect aluminium etc!

254-4a.jpg
    Cheers!
    mcguyver, GodSilla and 1coolbanana like this.