Oz/Kiwi KTM 640 ADV riders sign in here please.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by overlandr, May 10, 2006.

1. rowie

rowie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks @braaap! but no need for that now. The ultrasonic cleaner did a great job on it

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Only problem is the paint didn't handle it very well

4.jpg

So I'll have to strip and repaint the head and barrel. Bugger! But at least I know the cooling system will be spotlessly clean
  2. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Choice! Ultrasonic cleaners are amazing! Great work, repainting is a hassle but will be worth it!
    Looking fwd to when you hit the starter button :)
    OzRider64 likes this.
  3. OzRider64

OzRider64 Friggen slow Adventurer.

Oddometer:
    Fellas I had a 05 640 Adventure which I loved but due financial reasons I had to sell it back in 2011.
    I’ve been looking at used versions, what is parts availability like these days, body panels, fairings etc.
  4. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @OzRider64 it’s easy enough to search dealer parts finder listing for price and availability... I have a stash of used fairings, tanks and plastics :-)
    twqqis and OzRider64 like this.
  5. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I've got my own stash, but I can't speak for the spares availability.
    Try Boltons website, and as suggested above by @braaap! just look the parts up and check availability status - eg in stock, out of stock (backorder), or unavailable.
  6. tracka

tracka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had an issue with the nuetral switch in front of the counter shaft sprocket. Ive got to play with the gear shifter to get the nuetral light on so I can start the bike. I can't seem to find that part on the ktm website. The bike is the 04 enduro. Cheers Steve
    GodSilla likes this.
  7. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Not on this bike, but a previous Japanese bike had the neutral sensor give up so I just replaced it.

I just looked online for the part, same as you, I can't find it listed.
  8. hoorang

hoorang .

Oddometer:
  9. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Aaaah, "contact screw", an odd description for a neutral switch? No wonder the search function didn't work.
    That same part appears in the EPC system on a shitload of bikes too (3 of them per EPC), it seems to serve multiple areas.
  10. tracka

tracka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your help guys. Would you have to replace the three of them. Cheers Steve
  11. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    Only one of them is the neutral switch. The other 2 are to do with the EPC system (to detect if in 2nd/3rd gear so you cannot wheelie the bike :-)).

You could probably just switch one of the other 2 into the neutral to test it.

I'm sure I've had issues in the past with the neutral switch, but I've never replaced it. I'm guessing wire related (loose connector, covered in chain lube, broken), but cannot remember.
  12. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Dirty connection was an issue with my second 640, Ratty, but a dose of degreaser and a good spray, dry and tighten and they are good.

The gear sensor isn't required for it to run. I suspect they make sod-all difference on the BST equipped bikes, apart from making first gear go gutless. The BST is pretty average performance-wise anyway until it gets the mods.

I disconnected all that shit on mine, but if I ever get my hands on an SXC ignition I'd re-attach the TPS wires so a pumper carby I'd be fitting works properly.
  13. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    This. I swapped the N switch for one of the disconnected epc switches a while back IIRC. Blank off the hole with a ground down M10 cap screw. It should still start with the clutch in though so also check clutch switch if it don't.

If you haven't junked the epc already look it up.

Cheers
    Clint
  14. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I looked up the price of the needle bearings for the cam followers/rocker arms a coupla days ago. $111.something each. They are tiny.

Just wondering have they always been this pricey? Or is this the new, "improved" KTM corporate price list?
  15. rowie

rowie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently got one of each from the USA, along with some other parts. Exhaust was $27.98 US; Inlet was $25.26 US. Mind you, those were the cheapest prices I could find. I think they retail for around $40US each over there. Still doesn't explain the high price that is charged here.

I see some reports of premature wear with these bearings. Because the top end is only lubricated by oil from the cam chain, maybe it was caused by running the bike with a low oil level?
    GodSilla likes this.
  16. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I get the idea they are mainly affected by 2 things, the type of oil and the duration of its' usage. Having said that, some early failures seem random, and replacement around 50k seems prudent. 5k oil changes is a big ask for a single when you are using the average 4 litre bike oil, and even the expensive full-ester synthetic is watery and shit-looking by the 5 k mark, so my intuition tells me that worn oil does them no favours. Especially if you are accessing the top-end, fresh oil is always recommended for that. I can clearly hear the difference in my own motors when I change used oil for fresh oil, the motor is much quieter.
    I now use a (surprisingly cheap) diesel oil that meets all the specs and more and change it at 2.5k intervals, and it is high in the trace metals that protect those little suckers from accelerated wear and is formulated for high-compression diesel combustion so it is highly resistant to shear (gearbox-friendly) and has excellent properties for holding contaminants in suspension (as opposed to deposits). The oil comes out not too bad at all at 2.5 k, to be replaced with fresh oil again. These motors just love it, and it's cheap insurance.
    braaap! likes this.
  17. twqqis

twqqis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also had a very recent quote, worked out to around US$30 each
    GodSilla likes this.
  18. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Some of you may already know, I lost 2 2003 KTM640 Adventures in the fires on New Years Eve. They are basically irreplaceable.

I also lost a rather large stash of parts for them, including a full set of bodywork (much of it still new in the packets), a complete spare front end, wheel sets, pumper carbies, the list of spares was quite extensive.

I hope to be back on a 640 Adventure as soon as I have a shed to put one in. An inmate has made an extremely generous offer to me and I am truly moved by it, more on that later.

So keep your valuable and special motorcycles safe, as these bikes are becoming rarer and harder to get. The loss of the Japanese bikes is something I can shrug off, but losing those 2 magnificent KTM's really hurts.
    meat popsicle, braaap! and GSDane like this.
  19. mcguyver

mcguyver Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is gut wrenching to read. I would cry a lot if I lost mine like that.
  20. mcguyver

mcguyver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there anything we can do? I would rather help someone like you out directly rather than give to some charity that retains 30%