Oz/Kiwi KTM 640 ADV riders sign in here please.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by overlandr, May 10, 2006.

1. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the well-wishes and support, it does help at times like this.

I have just had to take a pragmatic view of things. They are gone, all 9 bikes, and no amount of wailing or hand-wringing is going to bring them back.

So I have accepted it, it is what it is, and I am looking forward and planning for the future, which I can still influence.

I don't deny it is a huge personal loss, but I survived and got my dogs out alive so things could have been a lot worse, and are a lot worse for many others. It has literally wiped my slate clean, out of all the stuff I had, including the first toolbox and toolkit my late father gave me when I started work as an apprentice, a full adult lifetime of gathering "stuff" that was valuable or useful to me, all that I have left is a $20 pair of dri-rider gloves I left in the kitchen by accident. All tools gone too.

So I guess this is an opportunity to gather minimal "stuff" and travel lighter for a while.

The insurance assessor will give me an idea if spares and clothing are covered, I lost at least $20,000 of riding gear, a lot of high-end stuff. Even more dollar value in spares, I don't know if I can actually quantify the dollar value of the extensive spares collection I had for those 9 bikes. Many years of saving/spending, gone in 30 minutes.

Here they are :

Ratty. I had a lot of fun with this one.
    IMG_3362.JPG

This one I bought from the late, great @Gwilli. It ate deserts for breakfast.
    I will miss it as much as I miss @Gwilli, it was a memento of him and it is lost to me now. His loss is still raw with me.:cry
    P3110089.JPG

Sad days indeed.
    mcguyver, meat popsicle and braaap! like this.
  2. enookway

enookway Are we having fun yet?

Oddometer:
    There was an 05 625SXC with 99 rallye tank and fairing (purple/orange) on ebay for $4k.
    Owner had just ridden it from Darwin to Melbourne.
    I kept getting emails about it for months but now I cant find it.
  3. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^ If still for sale might be a good buy for someone... But it's not and never will be a 640Adv. As Tom says, the 640's are irreplaceable and certain spares are getting very much harder to find.
    GodSilla likes this.
  4. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    To my knowledge KTM are the only factory to produce a proper factory-integrated rally bike as a production model. Others do look-alike jobs, or cosmetic jobs on another basic model, upspec trailies or enduros, and good luck to them, but there is only the 625/640 Adventure that fills this particular niche. The number of rally-developed parts that made it into production on these is a testament to that commitment from KTM.

And just like land, they aren't manufacturing any more. They are going to become rare. (And collectable.)

Another inmate looked at my photos and has offered me a rally-style bashplate he no longer has a use for, for free. I am feeling the love.:raabia It is hard to describe what these gestures mean at a time like this. I am humbled.
    prestonpaul, mcguyver and braaap! like this.
  5. twqqis

twqqis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sir, my condolences for your loss
    GodSilla likes this.
  6. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Condolences mate. I would not like to contemplate losing the contents of my shed, all the memories as well as the stuff.

If you need a ride in NZ to take your mind off it my 640 is in the shed ready to go. Luggage, tools, camping gear, riding gear if it fits. Near Rotorua. Send me a message if yer keen.

Cheers
    Clint
    prestonpaul, GodSilla, DOT and 2 others like this.
  7. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    So who knows how to do carbon fibre? :ear

Or has a good idea who does know how to do it? :lurk

Rally-style front masks and c/f tank guards, who could make some up from the molds I got via @tileman?
  8. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sucks Tom. I'll have a look round to see if there's anything I've still got lying around.
    GodSilla likes this.
  9. rowie

rowie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone got a spare water pump shaft laying around? I have 2 and both are shagged

IMG_20200207_102535377_HDR.jpg

Couldn't find one in stock in Australia and it will be 4 or 5 weeks before the one I ordered arrives.
  10. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    Here's what my 2005 625 slave cylinder loooks like after 95ooo km..you can see the wear from the piston on opposite sides of the slave housing. ..it wont de- clutch so I hope this is all that needs replacing. These housings can be re-furbished with a stainless steel lining...at great expense,I am told. But I'll go with OEM replacemnent and be done with it. .hoping the master is still ok...fingers crossed...

DSCN3402.JPG DSCN3403.JPG DSCN3404.JPG DSCN3405.JPG
    mcguyver and GodSilla like this.
  11. clintnz

Oddometer:
    I'd at least get a price on a re-sleeve if you can find someone that does it. I got an NZ outfit to bore out & sleeve a Landcruiser clutch slave a while back & it was cheaper than that KTM part IIRC.

Cheers
    Clint
  12. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Honestly, for the cost of a new slave cylinder why would you bother with a repair? Labour isn't cheap for skilled work. $253 for a new slave cylinder. 2 hours labour at $120/hr.............set the job up, bore the cylinder measuring as you go, prepare and machine a new sleeve, mount the piece and press it in, finish it off nice and smooth, that looks like a good couple of hours work.
    The cost to have it bored and sleeved would likely be as much or more than the new part, and you'd merely end up with a modified part for more money.
    It would have to be a whole lot cheaper to be worthwhile, and I can't see that happening. Maybe Landcruiser parts are more expensive and it is worthwhile for them?

I could also be wrong here and the job can be done in 30 minutes, so feel free to shoot me down.
  13. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    Gday Clint...advice I was given by someone in the know was to get the oem part, after telling him the parts price. He said that a lot of money has been put into this kind of relining in stainless steel etc, and will need to be recovered, so he said go with the new part. I ordered it monday arvo. It'll turn up in the mail and I'll re fit it..done...I hope..working on bikes doesnt ring my bell.
    PS yesterday managed to break the pair of wires going in the stator housing too..so brittle..there was just enough left sticking out to clean them up and I,ll solder them back together. Just couldnt face taking the stator cover off . I've had to do this once before on the side of the road at Menindee..just enough space inside there to rejoin the wires .That episode killed of my trip over to Lake Gairdner for the speed trials...had a big sook and went home.
    Did this yesty, was able to get the black plug out without breaking anything else..Ive put some silicone around the other stator wires plug..cause I know I'll break them too. DSCN3411.JPG DSCN3412.JPG
    My little mate understands me..
    DSCN3408.JPG
    mrsdnf, Ron50 and GodSilla like this.
  14. clintnz

Oddometer:
    The 'cruiser slave re-sleeve cost $116 incl a new piston+seal & postage back. I'd imagine they have sleeve blanks in the common auto sizes though, so the 640 one could be a one off & more $$$ as you say, but given the stainless liner would also last longer than anodising I'd be tempted even if the price was similar.

This has reminded me that I have an old slave sitting in the shed worn like the above pic & it wouldn't hurt to have a spare given the one in the bike has a few km on it now, so I've just sent an email with a pic & dimensions to the guys that did my 'cruiser one asking for a quote.

Cheers
    Clint
    GodSilla likes this.
  15. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    Yep I go with an oem part..frankly I just simply couldnt be bothered going thru the track down a cheaper option saga...having said that I have just received a messagge from the supplier that it's on back order, so there's none in Oz..guess it has to come from Das Vaterland.
    Doesnt matter..I wont be going anywhere anytime soon..except to the letter box, which is a 3km round trip..or 20 km if I include the local back lanes, that should suffice for the quarantine period.
    GodSilla likes this.
  16. clintnz

Oddometer:
    GodSilla likes this.
  17. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    About 2 years ago, I went down this rabbit hole of getting the OEM part re-sleeved.

Contacted everybody that advertised the re-sleeving service (three I found in Melbourne), but they all bailed once they saw how small the OEM part was.

I gave up as I wanted to ride and bought http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/acatalog/KTM-LC4-Models.html
    GodSilla likes this.
  18. rowie

rowie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally getting the 625 back together. There was no filter in the top engine breather hose. Is it required? Looks like it's NLA and appears to be just like a very coarse scotchbrite in the photo I found. If it is needed, would a piece of stainless steel pot scrubber do the job?
  19. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    Clutch fluid..the (Blood ) is no longer supplied..now it's Motorex..same stuff..The clutch slave was in stock and common as the proverbial..
    All went back together nicely...dont need a fancy syringe bleeding system..just a length of clear hose on the bleed nipple.
  20. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I would just leave it out.....wouldn't want that pot scrubber stuff to disintegrate and find its way into the motor?? Maybe???

Cheers