1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Oz / Kiwi Suzuki DR650 Adv Riders Sign in Here please

Discussion in 'Australia' started by davorallyfan, Feb 20, 2007.

1. leighwgold

leighwgold Ph.D. of B.S. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kezza I just ordered new 520 44t and 16t & 17t for the old girl, MX Store had sprocket bolts on sale so got them too. Heading to Cairns with @TheDecepticon next July / August so spruicing the DR up a bit as is Gray. Might catch you for a beer or two if your around then.
  2. DIRT SQUIRTER

DIRT SQUIRTER Bitumen is just a way of getting there!

Oddometer:
    Had a bit of a fool around with the el' cheapo oil cooler. Did the home brew 3 split port oil banjo bolt thing I mentioned / dreamed up some time back. I was going to hot oil off the head on the top port, but it would only fit comfortably on the mid position, Dowty seals used.
    Basically the hot oil goes in the middle through to the top banjo, through the cooler and back to the bottom banjo. A pin pressed up the guts of the bolt between the middle and lower banjo fitting keeps the oil segregated.
    I couldn't help my self with the oil cooler; drilled out the top and tapped it M10 and put a strip of cut plaster board metal cornice in it (it has holes along it) and gave it a few twists until anchored, to keep the turbulence up and get better cooling, also tapped the bottom M6 for more surface area as well.
    Hoses are temp, might up grade to Hydraulic type crimps and fittings only 10 psi. no leaks, machined everything flat first, the original finish is too rough to seal I thought to be leak proof and gobs of silicone ready to block an oil passage.
    Noticeable to touch temp difference in/out although keeping things cool ATM is not an issue @ 6 deg C.........
    IMG_0964.JPG IMG_0965.JPG IMG_0959.JPG
    BergDonk, kezzajohnson and leighwgold like this.
  3. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:

Yeah, cool - keep me posted and will definately try to catch up. May I ask why the decision to go 520 pitch ? It's not really an issue apart from the fact that the countershaft sprockets general don't have as wide a spline contact area on the countershaft itself and can tend to flog it (countershaft itself) out more quickly. Some guys I know of have built up the shoulder on their counteshaft sprockets (using old sprockets) when converting to 520 pitch.
    Precis likes this.
  4. rowie

rowie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The DR750/800 front sprockets are 520 pitch and are the same width as the 525 sprockets. Only 14 and 15 tooth available though

http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/sprocket/JTF438/
    dmsantam and kezzajohnson like this.
  5. leighwgold

Oddometer:
    Yeah I went with 520 to reduce a bit of weight, and I’m keeping an eye on the counter shaft for wear. I got abit of an idea about machining the 525 sprocket down to 520 thickness as I have access to the technology. Plus I got a real good deal on a new x ring 520 chain. I like the idea of running bigger size sprockets, that’s why I run the 16 and 44. It’s all just an old farts thing. I’ll probably go back to STD sizes next time.
    kezzajohnson likes this.
  6. NTJosh

NTJosh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lad’s,

Been quiet a while since I’ve given an update...life’s been getting in the way of many things!!

If my not so good memory serves me right my last post was on the KTM 690 enduro front end I picked up to fit to the DR.
    Well I can safely say that that was a balls up, should have done a bit more research before I hit the buy on them, the 690 forks were way to short and the triple clamps were going to interfere with the tank....fark.

I ended up looking around and in the end picked up a set of 4360 forks from a 2001 KTM640LC. I’d been busy and things were progressing painfully slow with the bike so had a local guy rebuild the forks for me, in went some .54 springs, new set of bushes and some skf seals.
    I tracked down a WP43 triple clamp from an exc of the same vintage, I than had the steering stem sleeved so that I could use the DR bearings, only other item I needed to fit up the triples was a 4mm spacer to sit above the top seal/below the upper clamp, with that it all bolted up sweetly.
    I was still able to use the 690 Enduro DID wheel, 300mm disc and the Brembo caliper. As the 690 uses the larger axle I had to purchase two new front axle spacers to suit the smaller diameter 640 axle, these are available from KTM and were only $20 each.
    With the spacers in hand it all bolted together and lined up without issue, Brembo caliper mounted straight up to the forks and disc alignment was spot on.
    I purchased a white KTM front guard and also got the guide for the front brake line that mounts above the fender.
    I had purchased a set of Galfer DR stainless brake lines, the front was still able to be used with the brembo caliper without issue.

With the fork swap now sorted I was just waiting on the fairing from Joe, an 18” Sun rim from Procycle and the Cogent shock from ABA, Well these all eventually turned up and I’m happy to say that the bike is done...:clap

It’s taken longer than I would have liked but these things happen and good things come to those who wait

Last Friday arvo I managed to take it out on its first ride, only 10k’s but all ran well.

Next day clocked 120k’s on it and on the Sunday another 100k’s. Dropped the oil Sunday afternoon and all looks good.

I’m now back out the mine and looking forward to getting out again, I start a new job working 2 weeks on/2 weeks off in early Sep..looking forward to the extra time that will give me.

Big thanks to all that helped out, gave there advice, made me bits and leant me tools...it’s been very much appreciated.

So here’s the finished product.....

1E11B56B-3EF8-4EBD-8FD7-E2F356D4030E.jpeg 0B8A779E-EC69-429A-8E90-B3DDF6AFB8E5.jpeg
  7. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    Very Nice Mate - Came up a treat and looks very well sorted.
    NTJosh likes this.
  8. leighwgold

Oddometer:
    Good job, very tidy, unlike my poor old girl.
    NTJosh, TheDecepticon and DRAK like this.
  9. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Body's back home, but soul is in Central America
    Shout-out to Lachlan who just did the super-bearing conversion to our rear hubs: send him the sprocket carrier and the axle and he machines the spigot, sources and fits a new bearing and seal and checks the axle for straightness. Must ask Mrs P how she bent her rear axle... it was 0.25mm out.
    Turn-around time is a few days, cost for what's involved is reasonable - it's stuff I cannot do myself, so happy to pay someone who can.
    There was nothing wrong with the 60,000+km bearings I fitted when the bikes were new, but with the bigger bearing, I have peace of mind that the risk of failure is further reduced.
    BergDonk, bungen, dmsantam and 3 others like this.
  10. DonQx

DonQx Slow & enjoying it

Oddometer:
    Just installed a Tutoro chain oiler.

So far so good. Test ride tomorrow.

What I like about this:
    1. it'll oil the chain automatically
    2. doesn't need connection to electrical system or vacuum tubes or similar
    3. some good reviews from long-term tourers
    4. 'tis cheaper than some others

Being a purely mechanical device and oil flow is triggered by movement it'll require adjustment when you move between blacktop & dirt, so that'll be something to pay attention to.

2019-08-01 DR650 Tutoro chain oiler installed (3)s.jpg
    2019-08-01 DR650 Tutoro chain oiler installed (5)s.jpg
    2019-08-01 DR650 Tutoro chain oiler installed (4)s.jpg

2019-08-01 DR650 Tutoro chain oiler installed (2).jpg

2019-08-01 DR650 Tutoro chain oiler installed (1)s.jpg
    sidetrack one likes this.
  11. DRAK

DRAK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had one of these on my Vstrom, found it very hard to get it right it had either too much oil or too little, however I'm still interested to see how you go with it.
    leighwgold and Precis like this.
  12. DonQx

DonQx Slow & enjoying it

Oddometer:
    Tutoro chain oiler 1st test run done.

At ZERO km
    • last oiled maybe 300km ago, SAE90 gear box oil brushed on.
    • X-rings are still a bit moist, rollers & plates have hardened oil/muck mix stuck on in places
    • some oil fling on rim & tyre
    chain oiler test 1 - 00k set to 1.5 turns out 1.jpg
    chain oiler test 1 - 00k set to 1.5 turns out 1.jpg

After 47km of suburbs, windy coastal road & a bit of freeway:

• Oiler valve was turned 2.5 turns out. Tutoro recommends 1.0-1.5 I think.
    • Chain now nicely moist. Some of the hardened muck has loosened. X-rings, rollers & plates all nicely coated as far as I can tell.
    • A little more oil & muck on rim & tyres now, but not that much.
    • Next time I'll turn the oiler valve down to 1.5 turns out and see what that does.
    • Overall conclusion is that it seems pretty workable. Happy so far.
    chain oiler test 1 - 47k 2.5 turns out (2).jpg
    chain oiler test 1 - 47k 2.5 turns out (4).jpg
    chain oiler test 1 - 47k 2.5 turns out (5).jpg chain oiler test 1 - 47k 2.5 turns out (6).jpg
    chain oiler test 1 - 47k 2.5 turns out (7).jpg

Attached Files:

Precis and sidetrack one like this.
  13. schmik

schmik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gents, I'd love a bit of help.

I just realised that the high beam is not working on the DR. Of course there is a rego inspection tomorrow (they probably won't check but it sure needs to be fixed!).

Is it a co-incidence that these 3 things happened at once ?
    - install lithium battery
    - trail tech speedo does not illuminate very brightly
    - 1st time I try hi-beam there is none.

To be honest I don't even know how the hi-beam works. Dual filament bulb? Don't know.
    The lithium batter puts out about 13.4V Is that too much for the trail tech? Is there a fuse for the hi-beam.

Any help would be great.

mike
  14. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Body's back home, but soul is in Central America
    Y
    Yes mate, dual filament bulb, available from Autobarn, Repco, etc. It's an H4 style and has a 60w high and 55w low beam. Cheapies are under $20. There is no seperate fuse for Hi beam.
    The Vapor has an internal battery but with the engine running it should light up normally. Sounds like you have a battery or earthing issue.
    People who know what they are talking about will be along presently....
  15. schmik

schmik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To your last sentence... I cleaned up the shed and found the Clymer manual. After I found that, I found that there is a 10Amp fuse for hi and lo (i.e. one fuse each).
    Checked them both and they were both fine. TBH, I have not touched the hi - lo headlight switch since 12 months ago (the last rego inspection).
    Could just have rattled to death!

The trail tech issue. Immediately from installing the new battery the trail tech started acting up. Going, bright and dim and bright... now it's just dinner than usual. I am not sure it likes the higher voltage??? Maybe... who knows. It definitely started acting up immediately upon install of the new battery.

I don't often ride the DR at in the dark but would prefer it to work properly. I'll have to test it on just the internal battery and on a regular 12V. Maybe it's fried.
  16. NTJosh

NTJosh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Voltage should be fine mate, I run a vapour and have a volt gauge on my bike and when running at revs it sits up around 13.8v..sometimes nudges 14v.
    What did you connect the power to the trailtech to?
    High beam wise, see if your getting power to the high beam, think off hand its the yellow wire, if ok put a meter on the globe
  17. leighwgold

Oddometer:
    @schmik I have had a Vapour on the DR for 4 years, it was also fine until the internal battery went flat and I replaced it. I had powered it with 12volt switched power from the wire that used to power the light in the old speedo. It was always dim, but it started resetting the tripmeter randomly, mostly when the ignition was turned on or off, this was one of the reasons I had fitted it, to use as an odometer for fuel range. I thought it was buggered but did a bit of technical research (google) and it was suggested that I power it directly from the battery so that it was live all the time. It has an internal shut off after about 5 mins of standing still, even if the front wheel magnet is over the pickup so it won’t flatten the bike battery. It is also much brighter and I haven’t had an unwanted reset problem since. You could maybe give that a go.
    fayeslane likes this.
  18. schmik

schmik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks gents. My vapor is powered from the battery already.

The series of events with it was:
    1. vapor illuminates just fine
    2. swap batteries (from a dead cheapo to a lithium)
    3. vapor keeps flicking between normal illumination and dim.
    4. bike sits for 3 weeks.
    5. bike starts and vapor is dim (still illuminated a little, you can see it at night but it's not that bright).

It did all start immediately from changing batteries.

As for the headlight. I purchased a replacement for $18. Will install later this week as the fuses were fine.
    Passed the rego test this morning anyway.
  19. duckslider

duckslider unintentionaldrifter

Oddometer:
    Fitted a GoldenTyre GT501 to rear of Black Pearl :-) Heidenau Scout gone after 8200km. :thumb
    Anyone on here used these?
  20. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: