1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Oz / Kiwi Suzuki DR650 Adv Riders Sign in Here please

Discussion in 'Australia' started by davorallyfan, Feb 20, 2007.

1. duckslider

duckslider unintentionaldrifter

Oddometer:
  2. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    They were very good compared to E07 and Shinkos 701 on my F8 for 60/40 riding, i didnt use them again because they got hard to get
    duckslider likes this.
  3. duckslider

duckslider unintentionaldrifter

Oddometer:
    Used an EO7.Got 8500km out of it ridin' 70/30.Shinko 705 8600km (80/20 tyre)....After longevity,see how they go.
  4. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    I don’t think youll get better from the 201’s, but they will work better, chasing longevity can get dangerous in my opinion, tyres are a fact of what we choose to do
  5. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Body's back home, but soul is in Central America
    On far bigger, far heavier, far more powerful bikes than the DR, the Heidenau used to go 14,000km - where on earth are you going to chew them up so bad?!
    leighwgold likes this.
  6. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Would like to drop a big thank you to Gordon (auscanvet) for his help, patience and understanding with me while doing a GSXR exhaust mod on my bike. I also did the BST magic with the carby while doing my 100,000km refresh and prep for Cairns next year. :wings:super:thumb
  7. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    I would say you have a connection issue between the vapor and the new battery. When run off the internal battery alone, the vapour has no back light, where as once connected to the main battery, the backlight should be bright. I reckon it's losing contact and going back to the internal battery to run - check you wiring and connections.
    BergDonk, Precis and leighwgold like this.
  8. schmik

schmik Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I reckon you could be right... I took the DR out for near to 400km today. My phone charger kept cutting in and out.
    I have too much STUFF connected to the battery terminals. I need a fuse block. Anyone else use one?

FWIW, I have a few other new bikes in the shed at the moment. The DR has been getting no love :(
    Geez it was good to get out on the old girl today! No Fuel Injection, no 6th gear, didn't miss any of it.
  9. NTJosh

NTJosh Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I run a PC8 in all my bikes. Expat guy living in Japan makes them, great quality. But anything of quality will do the job. https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring_Kits/Fuseboxes/PC-8/pc-8.html
    nzrian and OzCRU like this.
  10. schmik

schmik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh FFS!!!!

Never visually inspect a fuse. I went over the whole cct for the hi-beam, the handle bar switch, the fuse, the bulb, everything! Still no hi-beam.
    Until I swapped the two fuses over, then there is no low bean. Clearly it's the fuse. Of course I have spare 1amp, 5amp and 25amp. NO TENS!

I used some spare vapor plugs and connected it to known good battery and plug. Still no illumination. Vapor is broken again!!! I have had a really shit run with these. 1st one leaked and was replaced under warranty. Replacement leaked and was replaced under warranty, this one is water tight but now won't illuminate and warranty is over. I'll replace it.... eventually.

Phone charging kept cutting in and out because it wasn't an apple cable... new cable. No worries.

Does anyone enjoy electrics?
  11. fayeslane

fayeslane Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer:
    No :dirtdog
    BygDaddee likes this.
  12. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    Damn straight...That is a shithouse run alright.
  13. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    Hey just a thought but when connected to the bike battery, the backlight will only come on if you spin the wheel (detects wheels sensor/movement), start the engine, or push a button on the vapor. Just connecting it to a 12 volt battery (not on bike) won't bring the backlight on unless you push (say the mode) button.
    leighwgold likes this.
  14. schmik

schmik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I was aware of that.

1. It leads to the question though.... if it doesn't illuminate is it even getting power from the battery? I know the feed is OK but internally to the vapor?
  15. explodingmouse

explodingmouse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok masterminds , mechanical dunce here , apart from general service that is , went to start my bike just getting a whirring noise , no ignition , battery is new , lights are on , I would be
    greatfull for any suggestions.
  16. schmik

schmik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    whirring noise? is the piston turning over.
    If really unsure, put it in gear. Hit the started. Be ready for the bike to move!!!

If it moves then the piston is moving.
    If not... then the starter is not engaging.
    BergDonk likes this.
  17. explodingmouse

Oddometer:
    No moving so I guess starter is not engaging ? Could it be the starter relay ? or motor ? I believe a new starter motor is quite expensive so Im hoping that isnt the problem.
  18. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    If possible post a video with audio on here to give a better idea of what you mean by 'whirring'.
  19. explodingmouse

Oddometer:
    Its a noise that seems to come from the starter relay .
  20. dirtsurfer

dirtsurfer Adventourer

Oddometer:
    Returning to this because I am going to do some work on my bike after a year.
    I cant get a straight steel rod through my axle . It slides through the sprocket side with a couple of mil clearance and goes most of the way through but seems to hit something hard about 40mm from the brake side exit. I look through but cant see any interference. Could my axle be bent?