Oz / Kiwi Suzuki DR650 Adv Riders Sign in Here please

Discussion in 'Australia' started by davorallyfan, Feb 20, 2007.

1. gavmac

gavmac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats why I take the VX300 when I go through there! - you should have dropped me a PM.
  2. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Rocky River Rd
    5E856129-2758-4743-80EC-9BD0292D55F9.jpeg
    931B271A-1FFC-4528-8AC7-E48DEEA8943C.jpeg
    gavmac, Dukehunt and sidetrack one like this.
  3. schmik

schmik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is so awesome! I love that you have the stock graphic on the acerbic tank!

FWIW, I had problems with the Trailtech vapor after installing a new battery (lithium). It was probably a co-incidence. I have replaced the vapor head unit and all is well. I had 3 vapors fail in 2 years. IMO it is a POS product or i am way too hard on the gear.

Someone wanted to know about the pro-cycle polyurethane cush drive rubbers. I now have 1000km on them so i can say something.
    Very smooth! A hell of a lot smoother than the worn out stock ones! Yes, you can feel the difference.
    The only down side is that they make it tough to get the rear wheel back in. They push out more than very worn stock ones. i.e. it is hard to fit the wheel between the two ends of the swing arm. I have a technique now but there was some cursing in then shed sorting that one out.

Also, I tried running a fender bag with stock thickness tube on the front fender.
    NO GO. As soon as it gets rough the wheel comes up and the extra weigh of the tube makes the fender come down. They meet with a raspy grindr noise! I am not into that sort of thing. I thought about a fender brace... more weigh, more money and settled on a replacement fender, same cost as a fender brace. It's for an RMZ but apparently fits with minor mods. Hopefully the extra clearance will make it easier for the fender not to rub with a tube on it.
  4. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    fender?
    fayeslane likes this.
  5. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    Still not happy with the windshield sitting on 100, couple more inches to go off
  6. schmik

schmik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You know... the bit above the front wheel. Mudgaurd? I dunno, what do you call it?
  7. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    front mudguard or guard

fender is one of those Americanisms creeping into our language.
    Precis likes this.
  8. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    sidetrack one likes this.
  9. schmik

schmik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, fair enough. My bad! :jack
  10. schmik

schmik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Body's back home, but soul is in Central America
    I've had seven or eight Vapors on various bikes over the last 10-odd years, totalling probably 150-180,000km - and not a single failure; the two on our DRS got a big workout with dust, corrugations, cyclones, minus ten and plus 50 degree temps and a couple of violent horizontal excursions; both have exceeded 60,000km - no problems. Oh and we also used bags with tubes on the front guards with no issues - so perhaps you are hard on gear!
  12. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    Until you put an 18 inch on the rear which changes everything. I started with 14/41 (41T rear standard on 2006 model) on 17 inch rear which I was very happy with. Now that I have gone to an 18 inch rear, I went 15/46 to get it very close to what it was. As you can see by the below matrix's- RPM at any given speed or gear are neck in neck.

This is a great site for calculating gear ratios and is what I used to work it out.

https://www.gearingcommander.com/

Previous (current at the time) settings

[​IMG]

New settings

[​IMG]
    LivingdeadCamo likes this.
  13. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    I am a bit of an advocate of the vapor. My first one of about 8 years was replaced after about 8 years due to the high temp warning LED staying on, even though the bike had not overheated and even after the bike had been sitting for some time - I could have put some tape over it and a reset of the unit fixed it temporarily, but it eventually gave me the shits, so I bought a new one which is currently on the bike and connected to the bikes Lithium battery with no issue thus far.

I had the same issue as you with the stock fender (mudguard) when loaded with a tube in a fender bag too - I put on one of those fender braces which ended up breaking in half just forward of the guard mounts on the triple, on a long trip, due to so much flex - I now have an aftermarket fender which takes the weight no worries and doesn't flex anywhere near as much.
  14. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    My stock speedo is still working :D
    kezzajohnson likes this.
  15. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    I've got Vapors on a few bikes without issue FWIW.
    Precis likes this.
  16. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Body's back home, but soul is in Central America
    I think you missed the point: 14/42 and 15/45 will mean that the same teeth will constantly meet the same links of the chain - so a damaged or worn link will damage or wear the same tooth, repeatedly (or vice-versa), rather than spreading the love around the whole sprocket evenly. It's probably only an issue for people who like their OCD in the correct order: CDO....
    dmsantam and leighwgold like this.
  17. schmik

schmik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The first two vapors suffered from water ingress. I don't use a pressure washer. I never hose directly on anywhere with electrics or bearings.
    The third one stopped illuminating and would randomly reset, even with a new battery.

Hopefully number 4 is fine.
  18. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    with your fails, you're improving everyone else's odds with vapors @schmik Thanks
    Precis and leighwgold like this.
  19. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    I don't think that is correct. That will only happen if the number of chain links is directly proportional to the number of sprocket teef. soin the above examples, 84 or 90 links, 126 or 135 links too, maybe, my brain is slow at the moment.
  20. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    I'm inclined to agree with Woody. Maybe its the Coopers Vintage...