Oz / Kiwi Suzuki DR650 Adv Riders Sign in Here please

Discussion in 'Australia' started by davorallyfan, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    I don't think that is correct. That will only happen if the number of chain links is directly proportional to the number of sprocket teef. soin the above examples, 84 or 90 links, 126 or 135 links too, maybe, my brain is slow at the moment.
  2. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    I'm inclined to agree with Woody. Maybe its the Coopers Vintage...
  3. fayeslane

fayeslane Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer:
    That would be enough to stop me drinking :lol3:lol3
  4. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Prime numbers:evil
  5. bull600

bull600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've always used a neoprene bag to hold a spare tube that I then secure to the bottom of the headlight cowling with some gottcha straps. . Has worked well for 50,000km + with no pressure on the guard.
    20190821_191903.jpg

Cheers :thumb
  6. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:

Yeah, I should have left your quote out as my reply was more just general discussion and in response to @hattah79 but I quoted yours as part of the same discussion. By the way...how the hell did you work out the same link, same tooth thing ? Maybe simple maths, don't know, but that's way too OCD for me - would the same apply to my 15/46 combo and with 112 links instead of 110 ?

:dunno
  7. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    ..are only divisible by one and themselves - :rilla
    Precis likes this.
  8. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    According to Professor Rolly Sussex, that's OK in this day and age.
  9. themandan

themandan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you feed the figures into gearingcommander.com and scroll to the bottem of the page it will give you figures for frequency of link to tooth contact.

The standard 15/41 110 links setup gives 129, my preferred 17/47 112 links gives 799. It also gives me the easy abilty to drop on a 16, 15 or if i really want to crawl a 14.
    Precis likes this.
  10. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:

Yeah, right ! I have never looked that far down the page at those figures. I guess because I have always thought them to be irrelevant.
  11. themandan

themandan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure why I bother with them either. I do to many shallow creek crossings followed by gritty sand for my chain and sprockets to last long.

I've often had to change the front sprocket more often than the rear tyre (and they dont last long)!,
  12. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Body's back home, but soul is in Central America
    In both front/rear combinations, the front cog is spinning exactly three times (14x3 = 42, 15x3 = 45) faster than the rear; if there were a fractal difference < or > than 3, there would be a variation in which teeth touch which link. Try painting a dot on the chain and on the sprockets and spinning the wheel; they will realign.
    In the greater scheme of things and with decent lubrication and frequent chain replacement, it probably doesn't matter, but such are the things which occupy my small mind while droning along...
  13. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:

That's a relief ! I am safe with 15/46 combo then - was getting ready to trade the DR in for a taxi.
    themandan and BygDaddee like this.
  14. Precis

Oddometer:
    Nah - your personal plate would look silly on a GS...
  15. NTJosh

NTJosh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Having issues with my Vapour also. Fitted for 3 weeks and has moisture on the inside of screen.
    It hasn’t been in the rain nor have I washed it.
    Sent photos to Adv Bike Aus and awaiting there reply.

IMG_6587.JPG
    leighwgold likes this.
  16. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:

My new one has done that once or twice - not after washing or anything but noticeably going from low alttitude (Cairns-sea level) to the Tablelands (700 + metres above sea level) where the temp changes suddenly. Hasn't really bothered me too much as it soon dissappears, but I would be interested in hearing what Adv BIke Aust has to say if they even get back to you. My old one (of over 8 years) never did it and the only things different are this one is black, I now have the dashboard attached like yours, and the ambient temp pickup is different, being external (little brass knob on the end of short wire coming out of the top rear side).
  17. NTJosh

NTJosh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Kezza,

Yeah mine did after riding through some cold weather last Sunday, left home at 06:30 and it was 4’c. As it warmed up the condensation appeared.
    I emailed ABA on Tuesday and they replied straight away, sent them the same pic and they said they were going to pass it all on to Trailtech...as yet I haven’t heard anything back. Will let you know when I do.

On a side note, I’ve laced up an 18” Sun rim to the rear hub. I fitted a 130/90-18 D606 and she’s pretty tight for room. What have you found fits in there pretty well.?

Cheers

Josh
  18. leighwgold

leighwgold Ph.D. of B.S. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mines been doing that too, occasionally, since day one, but it would be interesting to see what TT do or say.
  19. schmik

schmik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My vapors were purchased at MXstore. The ones that were not water tight were replaced with no fuss.

They are a great unit but the build quality is a bit sus.

All three that are now dead would show condensation on the inside. Eventually the moisture in the inside seems to kill them.
  20. Precis

Oddometer:
    Geez - our Vapors are the older silver ones; the bikes stood outside in snow several times, were ridden in three different Tropical Storms and went over 5000 metres above sea level (yes, 5km straight up), in high humidity in jungles, into the sea and in temps about 45 deg C, plus my bike was slammed on the ground in crashes twice, while Mrs P's toppled over several times at a standstill - not a single issue with the Vapors!
    BergDonk and 0405canvet like this.