Oz / Kiwi Suzuki DR650 Adv Riders Sign in Here please

Discussion in 'Australia' started by davorallyfan, Feb 20, 2007.

1. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I normally change before 6000 km as per the book, I'm lucky to get to 5000, most times 4000 is about my limit. Have been running a 15/50 which I reckon is too thick. No oil war please, just my thoughts. :turkish
  2. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Next question, bearings.

I can get SKF engine bearings for the DR from a bearing retailer at way less than Suzuki parts price. Apart from some gearbox bushings, all are known deep groove ball bearings with common part numbers bar one, I think.

Because Suzuki charge 3 times more, will it really be 3 times better? Having done nearly 100,000 km on Suzuki bearings, I'm wondering. Anyone done a rebuild and can comment?
  3. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Building an engine right now with mostly SKFs. They are still good in my 790 too. You only sort of need one genuine bearing, the one behind the clutch because its got a pin to help locate it. Its been suggested to Loctite it in place, but I just get the real thing. I see no advantage in genuine bearings otherwise, from here; https://advrider.com/f/threads/bergdonks-dr650s.646076/page-116#post-38691581

[​IMG]
    Precis and TheDecepticon like this.
  4. dzl

dzl adventurer wannabe

Oddometer:
    Ive built a number of Yam XT600 engines which are very similar and have always bought genuine bearings/ gaskets through webike japan. Always between a third and half the price of dealing with yamaha oz. There are a couple of bearings that are hard to source from local bearing stores ie correct heat and clearance rating. Can buy all the bits I need for the engine rebuild from the 1 place so makes sense. Have placed orders on a Monday and had them on my doorstep on friday. from Japan. Looking at a DR650 crank bearing now online from suzuki oz is $70...from webike $30!

You can be fairly sure the whining in 3rd will be the hard facing worn off the gearset. In the case of XT600's... continuing to keep running the engine while gears are whining/ falling apart means the small metal fragments pass through the oil pick up gauze and get sucked up by the the oil pump and quite often damaging it.. Not sure if this happens on the DR engines? I certainly would be fixing it before a big trip.
    OzCRU, TheDecepticon and BergDonk like this.
  5. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Thanks BergDonk, a veritable treasure of info. Thanks, that will help a lot. :ricky

Thanks dzl, I'm leaning towards a rebuild anyway. :thumb
    BergDonk likes this.
  6. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    when you’ve done as much wrenching and been through as much gasoline on a DR as bergdonk, you really do become the expert in the hood on them :thumb
    Precis likes this.
  7. dzl

dzl adventurer wannabe

Oddometer:
    Hey berg I know youve done a lot of oil testing with the DR's but have you done any testing/ experimentation with the penrite full syn oils? Ive been running the penrite 20W-50 pao ester in my XT's/ tenere and has been great in terms of gearbox feel and lack of grey paste/ metal bits on my mag plug. Have run one of my bikes in lots in hot conditions heavy sand/ slow going etc too. Have been running it out to 5-6000kms change out. Im tempted to send sample off to get it tested to see how it has degraded. Prior to using this oil, running various mineral/ semi/ syn you could always tell when the oil had expired just by how notchy the gearbox change felt. Gear changes still buttery smooth even at oil change time.

https://penriteoil.com.au/applicati...JHgfUXGR4sfhmddDPOZQaXY8meGVyky4aAl_kEALw_wcB
    leighwgold and OzCRU like this.
  8. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    No, not tried. So many oils, so little time!

The thing that mostly appeals to me about the Lubealloy LA35ES is that its measured as only losing 3% of its viscosity @ 150C compared to 100C and I can visit and talk to the formulator up in Queanbeyan. . Its also cheaper than other full synthetics which may also deal with the heat the same, although the Penrite is similar in price.

I reckon that if you can feel a difference after an oil change, you left it too late.
  9. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:

At 67,000kms mine has whined in 3rd for a few years now. Can't work out if it's getting worse or not as imagination is unreal. Have been running Penrite Racing 10 10w40 oil for some time now and although gear changes are the smoothest they have ever been on this oil, the noise is no different. Previously, I have only ever run the bike on Motul 4T 5100 since new. For comparison against BergDonk's, this is my magnetic sump plug on last oil change (5000km intervals) - pretty consistent with how it's always been.

[​IMG]
    TheDecepticon and LivingdeadCamo like this.
  10. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Hi Kezza, Thanks for the pic. Mine looks a lot cleaner than that, not even any grey fluffy stuff indicating minute metal particles. Nice to hear that yours has been whining for a while now too.

Berg, where do we get LubeAlloy from and is there any more info on the oils, the web site looks rather bleak.
  11. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Their website isn't great, and they know that, work in progress. Dunno about wider availability, call them I guess and ask.

FWIW I'm told they brew stuff for some other Oz oil companies, but dunno who. Their brewery is in Harden NSW, with head office in Queanbeyan.
    TheDecepticon likes this.
  12. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:

Not the best pic but the oil itself comes out pretty clean. My magnetic plug had a dark rim around the base of the magnet (see photo below of clean plug), so it looks worse than it is. A better indication of the oil colour after 5000km is around the base of the thread/washer in that last photo and in the photo below of some in the oil filter cover. The buildup on the sump plug is a very fine metallic paste (I guess metallic or it wouldn't accumulate on the magnet) which when run through the fingers, feels smooth and with nothing in the way of metal shards - I think this is just normla engine wear evident. This is fairly consistent with each oil change since I installed the magnetic sump plug ( Last 40,000kms ?). Very fine metallic looking flecks can be seen sitting in the bottom of the drain pan (in the right light) on emptying the pan to dispose of the oil and I am assuming this is clutch material (maybe) seeing as it is not ending up on the sump plug. At this point in time, I am a little uneasy about the third gear issue but am not letting it stop me riding the bike. I am preparing myself to replace the gearset come the time to freshen up the engine (or go the 790 kit) - I may even pull the trigger on the full Nova set once announced and available - I have registered my interest with them (Nova) in a set when they go into production. Meanwhile, I'll just turn up the music and not load third gear for any longer that I have to when riding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sonny S., BergDonk and TheDecepticon like this.
  13. grrant1058

grrant1058 Motorcyclist 24/7

Oddometer:
    My gearbox whined for about 10,000 km's, so at 70,000 split the engine and replaced worn gears. The hard facing had come off several teeth - not all. Had the bike from new, oil changed after every decent ride, so approx every 1,000 - 2,500 km's with the best oil one can buy (and no I do not want to start an oil comparo). It is unfortunately just a big single / DR trait. As DZL points out, common to XT's plus XR's did the same thing. Interestingly, my previous DR did 100,000 and never had any gearbox noise.

20190117_203431.jpg
    BergDonk and TheDecepticon like this.
  14. dmsantam

dmsantam DR and FZ1 rider

Oddometer:
    mine has 115,000km on the clock and no gearbox noise at all. I don't do anything special, oil change every 5000km with cheapo semi synth. must be just lucky I guess.
  15. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all your replies guys, it is very much appreciated.

I'm going to order some Penrite full synth 4T 10w40 and while I'm out for a ride Sunday I will think hard on it. I'm also going to stick it on a stand and run it in third gear and have a damn good listen although I think I know the answer.

The answer is that at 100,000km of really hard work without any failures, questions or complaints about lugging my fat bastard arse all over the place with all my gear, I think she deserves a rebuild! Nearly all parts are in stock and I can save a few bucks running SKF instead of Suzuki bearings bar the special bearing, so who's getting a rebuild?? I am!! :clap:clap

Thanks again to the ADV and DR collective, you are a goldmine! :super
    DRAK, kezzajohnson, OzCRU and 2 others like this.
  16. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:

Cool. Regular updates with photos please.:lurk
  17. DRAK

DRAK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    May be time for a Big Bore 790cc Kit!
    leighwgold and TheDecepticon like this.
  18. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Do not, I repeat, do not let a little boy loose in a lolly shop! :imaposer
    DRAK likes this.
  19. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Well Kezza, first update is for the first time ever when changing the oil last night there were actual metal filings on my sump plug and reasonable size at that. Sorry, no photo. 99023 km.
  20. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    :flush