1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Oz / Kiwi Suzuki DR650 Adv Riders Sign in Here please

Discussion in 'Australia' started by davorallyfan, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Body's back home, but soul is in Central America
    Take a ticket and join the queue ... Joe's flat-out busy doing what he does so well, and his wait-list has blown out to somewhere past the next three prime ministers ... But yes, we're talking. I was looking for something to use ere the nights grow shorter.
    BergDonk likes this.
  2. Precis

Oddometer:
    Really just a sturdy lightbar. Having something bolted at a few points will eliminate bouncy lights making me seasick.
    You could be right about limb-entanglement with those or any other crashbars: all the crash-testing we've collectively done so far just injures the Barkbusters, tank and lower fork-leg.
  3. fayeslane

fayeslane Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer:
    Same, plus the odd mirror :lol3 Researchers rule :thumb
    Precis likes this.
  4. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here is what I knocked up. Now, it's not pretty, I made it when I did not have a lot of gear using a vice, hammer and arc welder. It has served me well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    mrsdnf, DRAK, drhippie2 and 3 others like this.
  5. Precis

Oddometer:
    But it is still attached to the forks .... which is what I'm trying to avoid. And I think it'd be a month of cold dinners and short rations if i did that to Mrs P's bike!
  6. NTJosh

NTJosh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lad’s,

Not DR related but there are some good brains in here so hope ya’s don’t mind.
    Not long ago I picked up a 1999 XTZ660 Tenere at a good price, it blew a bit of smoke so done a compression test and got 75psi and 90 wet.

I ripped the barrel and head off and dropped it into my local engine recon shop, he supplied a new Wossner piston, bored out the barrel and gave her a head job.

ive gone to get her all back together but for the life of me could not get the cam timing spot on, double and tripple checked everything and everything is installed correctly.
    Cam sprocket is good and I’ve pulled the stator/flywheel to check the lower sprocket and guides..all is good. Chain guides and tensioner also good.

I was thinking cam chain may have stretched a little so I ordered a new one which should be here tomoz.

I gave the engine recon shop a call and they indicated that the head surface was pretty good but they took .004” (4 thou”) off. So this is I believe what’s giving me grief, I’m hoping the new chain will bring me back to where I need to be.

My question is, if the new chain doesn’t sort things out where does that leave me, Thicker head gasket if available..I’m not sure.

love to hear your thoughts

cheers

josh
  7. Precis

Oddometer:
    Does the Yamaha have a steel liner? Gosh, how quaint!
    You cam chain tensioner should take up any "stretch" in the cam-chain - it's only a little thing.
  8. NTJosh

NTJosh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah steel lined bore mate, the Yamaha cam sprocket has two dimples that need to be parallel with the top of the head when on TDC, I’m out by about 3/4 of a dimple (Dimples 3-4mm diameter). If I bring the chain back a tooth then it’s to far the other way.
  9. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Wannabe

Oddometer:
    What happens when you fit the chain with tension on the drive side and push on the chain where the tensioner would sit where it is slack? Does the slack come out of the chain and then it lines up?
    4 thou is not very much, about 0.1 of a mm so that should not really bother it although a lot of bike makers do not recommend to machine the head at all.
    leighwgold likes this.
  10. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    I'd get as close as possible as is. You could play with squish with base gaskets, or oval out the sprocket holes. Its not a highly tuned engine and a few deg out might not make any real difference.
    TheDecepticon likes this.
  11. dzl

dzl adventurer wannabe

Oddometer:
    As I have found on my XT600's/ 34L tenere with old stretched timing chains you wont be able to align dots exactly and the cam timing will be slightly retarded. Install a new timing chain and it will be slightly the other way, ie advanced. A mid life worn chain will line up exactly.
    TheDecepticon, OzCRU and BergDonk like this.
  12. NTJosh

NTJosh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lad’s,

New chain arrived and installed, marks lined up much better. Engine is back in, fit up exhaust, cooling system and top her up with oil and should be good to start.

I’m still trying to decide if the XTZ660 engine is better or worse to take out/put in than the DR engine. The XTZ has no lower frame below the engine so I could sit her on a trolley jack and kind of push her in (With a lot of choice words) and get her into place. what is a pain in the ass is the main swingarm bolt is used as an engine mount and runs through the back of the engine..luckily I didn’t need any additional shims, if you did it could be a pain in the ass.

Cheers

Josh
  13. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Wannabe

Oddometer:
    That's what I was getting at. If the chain is tensioned properly and the marks are within coo-ee of the alignment points, then that will suffice. Engine timing on mass produced engines has a varying degree of accuracy. If you want it spot on, you will need a variable cam sprocket and dial indicator, among other tools to truly set TDC and measure the cam to dial it in.

If the new chain has lined it up pretty well you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
    leighwgold likes this.
  14. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:

Or do as BergDonk suggested - oval the cam sprocket bolt holes.
    leighwgold likes this.
  15. Precis

Oddometer:
    Wish I'd done this years ago:
    20200225_222425.jpg
    Knurled M6x25 studs holding the tank.

Long ago I put them on the sidecovers:
    20200225_222549.jpg
    It means you don't need tools to remove them; M8 studs on their way for the seat too. Ebay is your friend.
    You can get them in aluminium but it's soft, in stainless which are exxy, or these - plated mild steel. If I'm happy with them, I'll get stainless ones later.
  16. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    Dude... your pictures are really large and pixelly. Or is that just my setup ?
  17. Precis

Oddometer:
    Think it's just you - not award-winning stuff, but beer as a clell here... even full-screen they come up clear.
    jbrad5 likes this.
  18. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    Ok thanks - they are much clearer (and smaller) if I click on the attachments in my message quote.
    Precis likes this.
  19. neilc

neilc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sprocket size I guess this has been covered before here but I have the standard 15/41 and find it a bit high geared even with the motard wheels what is the best solution a 14/41 or 15/43 or something complacently different looking at what charts I can find both these combinations are quit similar. My only thought would be the 15 front may be slightly longer living but probably not enough to be concerned about .
  20. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    15/43 works for me with stock gearbox etc, improves chain and sprocket life, and reduces wear on swingarm slider compared to a 14 up front.
    Sonny S. and fayeslane like this.