Oz / Kiwi Suzuki DR650 Adv Riders Sign in Here please

Discussion in 'Australia' started by davorallyfan, Feb 20, 2007.

1. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used the Rox 2" Risers...rotated them as far forward as possible and the ergos work well for me. I am running the stock handlebars.

On the footpegs....I have the JNS lowered/rearward pegs from Pro Cycle...they make my DR pretty comfy :lol3 and I can transition from sitting to standing a little easier since my knees aren't bent quite as much.

Just ordered a Seat Concepts seat too...it will be a few months before it gets here but the stock seat is painful after about an hour IMO.
    Turns, Sonny S. and leighwgold like this.
  2. schmik

schmik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The LH switch on my DR is pretty stuffed. The indicator just won’t cancel. No amount of cleaning seems to help. I had a spare so installed it. It’s quite old but smooth. Anyway, I cut the plug off the crap one and wired it to a DRZ unit. Tested it out. Works perfectly! Just thought I’d share....

The drz unit is much better sealed for the indicator assembly.

94F7E5D0-EC01-4150-9E2E-DEB0FFE441D6.jpeg
    Fuzzball, dmsantam, bungen and 5 others like this.
  3. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Now that SUZUKI is WORLD CHAMPION AHEAD of the yamaha, ktm and honda LOSERS, having beaten all of them with room to spare, where can we get a nice variety of SUZUKI, 2020 WORLD CHAMPION stickers, shirts, banners and posters?
    BergDonk likes this.
  4. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    'ZUKI's entire 2021 model range will no doubt be released with a "bold new Mir graphics" facelift to celebrate the occasion. :1drink

That should give the eternal DR 650 SE another good five years at least... :lol3
    dmsantam, OzCRU and Precis like this.
  5. NTJosh

NTJosh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lad’s,

Anyone have an FMF powerbomb header floating around they’d like to part with, My cylinder head work is complete so when I return home next week I’ll be finishing of my 790, nova gearbox, big valve, webb cam Mikuni TM42 build and when I change out the engines I’d like to upgrade the header. The only options are the FMF or Procycle header, neither of which are in stock anywhere that I can find..

she’s almost done...:-)

7E08BB72-118E-47FD-BEAB-A35B24A2E89F.jpeg

Edit...Cancel the above guys, AMX Superstore has some in stock...I’ve placed an order
    drhippie2, dmsantam, Fuzzball and 4 others like this.
  6. leighwgold

leighwgold Ph.D. of B.S. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Josh that will let the beast out of her!
  7. NTJosh

NTJosh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    should be a good thing mate:-)
    leighwgold likes this.
  8. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the NGK CR10EIX (Iridium) but the standard NGK CR10EK works good too :-).

I go as cold as possible without having fouling problems since I tend to run high rpms for extended periods of time.
  9. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    That's a bit random - but yeah, Iridiums since the 1000km and now at 70,000 with no faults on either bike.
    Sonny S. likes this.
  10. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    For some reason they moved my post to this thread. Probably because I posted it in a thread that hadn't had any activity lately.

Surprised me too :confused.
    BergDonk and Precis like this.
  11. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Welcome to Austraya, mate. Make sure you slip, slop, slap, grab a beer from the billabong and a shrimp off the barbie. :lol3
    Sonny S. and BergDonk like this.
  12. Turns

Turns Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fellas,

Just finished a 3000km trip around WA
    Perth off-road out to Balladonia on the Nullarbor down the coast and back to Perth.
    It was my first bike trip on the DR and i loved it. Everyone said to me before I bought it you’ll hate it the suspension is rubbish and all the rest but she is a gem just what you want when hundreds of km’s from anywhere on your own on track that’s been lucky to have a kangaroo jump across it in the last year.

Onto the suspension valving wise I thought it actually performs quite good (racetech gold valves up front and the valving done by my local suspension tuner who is a deadset wizard) but the springs way too stiff for me it has 0.75 front and a 9.6kg Spring rear! The first owner must have carried some serious gear. I am only 90kg in my full riding gear water and all and i pack very light in a mosko moto reckless 40 (20kg)
    I definitely intend to fit the safari 33L (a must in remote WA)
    Although I’m light, I’m a expert or A level enduro racer and do have a moderately firm setup on my enduro bikes. (Firmer than those soggy standard exc’s anyway)

Racetech and my guy are saying 0.6 upfront and 8.5 rear.
    Teknik are saying 0.54 front and 7.0 rear

They’re all very respectable suspension tuners but have very different opinions.

Anyway so all that out of the way i was wondering,
    A: What are guys personal experiences with spring rates in their big DR’s
    B: i will most likely have some heavy springs as stated above for sale and be in the market for some if anyone has some.
    Also in the market for a clear 33L safari if anyone has one floating around.

IMG_1254.jpg
    NTJosh and Boxa like this.
  13. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    0.75 front and and 9.6 rear, wow, that is solid.

I run 0.46 in the front of the wife's DR, with DRZE forks and stock travel. For me, they'd likely go up to 0.52. Some run 0.58 and that's about it with stock forks. My longer travel WP CCs run 0.48 are are a treat. Up back I have an 8.6 and rarely bottom, and that's with slightly longer travel Ohlins. I'm <> 115 kgs then add gear, plus a beefed up bike. The missus runs a 7.5 spring up back in her Ohlins. I'm not an A grade rider, but have scored a few clubman trophies in years gone by.

As ever, spring rates really should be based on sag numbers, and then maybe slightly varied from there. For stock DR suspension, aim for +/-15 mm static and 75-80 mm laden.
  14. Turns

Turns Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome advice mate. Yeh she’s stiff I never thoughts I’d buy a DR and think wow its stiff haha.
  15. Turns

Turns Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So on the rear spring i was getting 58mm static sag with my travel gear on it full of fuel ready to ride away. I didn’t check the front.
    I mean any springs are going to feel better but i just don’t want to go too soft then have to be slowing down because of bottoming everywhere. Its a fine line and costly to keep changing springs all the time if i get it wrong.
  16. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    The challenge with the DR rear end is that its a comparatively light bike, nothing like enduro light, but ADV light, and as such, the trick is finding the balance between laden and unladen. I suspect around an 8 kg spring would suit you, laden, and you'd deal with it unladen. Of course, I could be wrong :D
  17. Turns

Turns Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeh thats what i was thinking. 9.6 is rigid as hell and 8.5 just didn’t seem different enough to me. I’m more concerned with its feel laden and as you say happy to “deal with it” unladen as I’m big fan of camping when I travel so most of the time I’ll have my gear and unladen shorter rides I’ll normally just take my Beta.
    Jealous of the yenkro setup on yours in your photo.
  18. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    The Yenkro is a great bit of gear, beautifully made, and taking all the weight off the bars improves both steering and stability, and with all the carbon fibre, aluminium and plastic, is more or less the same overall weight as the stock steel and glass, and the headlight is way better too.
  19. Turns

Turns Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You know before i did the highway run a few hours out to hyden and back i thought they look great but probably a bit over rated for what they’re worth. But i must humbly admit i was wrong and stand corrected I would love one (and a much better adv helmet)
  20. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    i run an 8.1 rear
    About 82kg in shorts and a shirt but ATGATT when riding so maybe a smidge lighter than you.
    I haven’t loaded it, but haven’t bottomed out yet either, so I have play left. It feels nice to me.
    I’m an average rider on my best day.

I’ve ridden a mates DR with a 9. something.
    I think he weighs 110ish. He’s a big guy.
    He also runs a seat concepts tall seat.
    I couldn’t touch the ground. He could still flat foot it.
    I’m not a suspension guy, but I could tell it was too much spring for me.
    Not unrideable, but not enjoyable.

as for the helmet, I removed my peak and it was better,
    but when I did a lap ( I’m sure I have a pic of my DR in a spot just like your pic :thumb) I just went a full street helmet.
    So much more enjoyable, but definitely hotter in the higher temps.
    But for day after day riding, it was better.
    I tend to wish I have my full face, rather than my adv helmet more often, once I’m travelling at more than about 80kmh.
    For slower speeds I prefer the adv helmet, but removing the peak definitely helps me at higher speeds with buffeting.

I had a screens for bikes screen like you, I found the wind clipped my peak sometimes, so now run no screen and feel better.
    I’m sure I’ll miss it in the cold and rain, but I’m ok with that.
    It was better with no peak adv helmet, but no screen was best for me.
    Full face with screen was ok.
    Precis, Sonny S., Turns and 1 other person like this.