Oz / Kiwi Suzuki DR650 Adv Riders Sign in Here please

Discussion in 'Australia' started by davorallyfan, Feb 20, 2007.

1. fayeslane

fayeslane Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer:
    Agree. My Shoei GT-Air is heaps quieter than my Hornet. The drop down tinted visor is a winner. The peak on the Hornet is a styling exercise, I had to glue a piece of rubber on it to get it to be useful.
    The Hornet has more airflow in hot conditions but too noisy and too much buffeting from the peak for general use. I doubt I'd buy another 'adventure' style helmet.
    Cruz and Nogoodnamesleft like this.
  2. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    I'm very happy with my Nishua and Arai ADV helmets.
    Turns likes this.
  3. Turns

Turns Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks nogoodnamesleft that’s awesome advice on the spring.
    Even though i race at that level when I’m adv riding I’m still just cruising about though so comparable really to most adv riders i guess.

I played with the screen a lot on the trip moving it up and down and angling it with fuel hose and long bolts etc eventually by the last day ive got it quite good. Its as high as i can mount it but mount on 3 inch or so long pieces of fuel hose i carry in my spares tube to give it stand off and prevent a low pressure void behind it which seemed to create turbulence at helmet height where the two high and low pressure air streams would mix. Buffeting is minimal now and not too noisey. Certainly the best I could get it.

Great advice on the helmets. It was the arai that i was kind of considering bergdonk
    Nogoodnamesleft likes this.
  4. Turns

Turns Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_1278.jpg
    Just another photo from what was an epic trip. Israelite Bay WA
    OzCRU, NTJosh, TheDecepticon and 4 others like this.
  5. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    The problem with helmets and screens is that they are very personal things, what's quiet and doesn't buffet for one is diabolical for another. Detail fit of the helmet, screen setup, seat height, torso length, and rider position/posture all contribute.
  6. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I run 0.46 up front with 15 weight fork oil and gold valves and a re-valved stocky rear with an 8.00 kg spring. I carry a fair bit of stuff cause I'm old, slow and broken and it is nicely supple fully loaded and a bit on the stiff side unloaded. I could have a bit more sag on the front, rear is about spot on and I could go for a lighter fork oil although I ride it loaded more than not so I have tended to leave it as I want the comfort loaded on trips. It is very stable loaded or unloaded and rides square edge bumps very well. :D

Jealous of your trip, struggling to get away at the moment!:(
    leighwgold, Turns and BergDonk like this.
  7. NTJosh

NTJosh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey fella,

I was out that way in September on the bike, dropped down at Balladonia then out at Cocklebidy and on up to Forrest, the tracks down along the bight are slow going rocky crap, was happy to get out in the end..

there’s a Safari Tank for sale now on Perth Adventure Riders Buy and Sell Facebook page, bargain at $400

BE1C73AD-5352-426D-BDB7-CD1451D00982.png
    BergDonk likes this.
  8. Turns

Turns Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome NT josh thanks heaps I’ll get the missus onto it as I don’t have facey.
  9. NTJosh

Oddometer:
    bit more suspension info, Bike is generally used for long, loaded trips with Safari Tank, side racks, soft panniers and a top bag. I’m around 100kg with helmet and all the gear on.
    I’m running a Cogent rear with an 8.15kg spring, have WP forks on the front and am running 0.54’s but find them a bit firm and will be changing them out in the future.
    Rear is pretty much well perfect when loaded, just gotta sort out the front:-)
    BergDonk likes this.
  10. NTJosh

Oddometer:
    you want me to message him and get a number?
    BergDonk likes this.
  11. Turns

Turns Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All good my wife has found him now just to convince her i need this tank
    BergDonk and NTJosh like this.
  12. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Interesting - it was a GT-Air which broke a 25-year Shoei habit for my wife - she'll never have another one. She literally went deaf from using that helmet day after day in South America. Same for me with a Syncrotec2 - neither were made to the high standard we expect from Shoei - I suppose over the years and between us, we've bought about 15 or 20 Shoeis: no more. I have a Schuberth E1 and MrsP is trialling an Arai and a Caberg. Junior has already made the switch to Bell over a Syncrotec too.
  13. Turns

Turns Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So update on the springs i ended up getting 0.58 front and a 8.5 rear.
    Did a lot of research and talked to few different suspension tuners.
    It really is amazing when you start talking loaded and modified bikes how much opinions differ and I suppose this comes from different riders preferring different things.
    It really is a feel and vibe kind of thing not an exact science which through my experience with enduro bikes is more that way.

Interestingly I found that the springs currently in it had quite a bit of preload on them probably only adding to their rock hard feel.

Anyway i appreciate all the feedback. I’ll see how these springs feel and adjust any preload to fine tune them if required.

More to come later.
    BergDonk likes this.
  14. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    To an extent, the valving can be set to compensate for springs not being just right, to an extent.
  15. Turns

Turns Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think I’ve found what might have been adding to the harshness in the front end,
    The forks had gold valve emulators..... but they have not had the dampener rods holes drilled out larger and the extra holes drilled so it had “double dampening” there.
    Then also the emulators have the heaviest (yellow) spring fitted with 5 Turns of pre load on them.

Crikey.

The inner fork legs have actually worn in one spot (at full extension) where they never or rarely traveled through the last two thirds of their stroke.
  16. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Interesting and not helpful. The non drilling of the damper rods may or may not be an issue though, depending. Its possible to to shim the gold valves so that drilling isn't necessary, my mate Frank Pons sets them up this way. Exactly what though, is his IP, I moved on from stock forks very early on in my DR journey.

A mate of mine locally has played with the gold valves extensively and then dropped a set of Cogent DDCs in and was impressed with the subtle improvements they provide over the GVs. They run shim stacks like a cartridge fork, shims for damping both ways and no poppet valve. Anecdotally, the Cogent stuff seems to be excellent, and the owner of Cogent is a DR enthusiast too, not to mention a good bloke who I spent some time with riding last year.
    Turns and Sonny S. like this.
  17. Turns

Turns Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dammit well that sucks then. Hmmm I guess this is the joy of buying a second hand bike.
    Given the gold valves had the yellow spring in them that they come with. (And the horrendous standard valving on the rear shock that had been that way for 20,000km) my prediction is that the 1st owner probably just gold told by a mate gold valves are the go! Bought them plonked them in and did nothing more and didn’t have the rider feel to know whether they were working or not.

But i think I’ll set them up properly then see how they go if they’re still no good I’ll take to my suspension guys shop whack them on the dyno and adjust/tune on there.

I’m really starting to think I should have went with that full yz450 front end I’ve got sitting there.......
  18. BergDonk

Oddometer:
  19. DR Steve

DR Steve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I spent a lot of time with emulators trying different settings, emulator springs - custom ones as well as the red and blue ones and oil weights and was never totally happy. Best results for me needed the free bleed holes in the poppet plate enlarged a bit, two of the four holes from memory.

Probably had the forks apart 20 times with the emulators and they were never as good as the forks that I simply dropped the Cogent DDC's into with no mods. The DDC's use 5W oil that won't work with emulators. The thicker oil needed with emulators seems to make them slow to react but without it the forks will blow through the stroke too easily. Emulators are popular because stock forks are so shit !
    Sonny S., BergDonk and leighwgold like this.
  20. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Much the same with Intiminators: change the oil, drop them in – job done! Pissing about with shimstacks and so on is no longer neccessary - and suspension "experts" who insist it's the only way are just displaying their own ignorance.