1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

Oz / Kiwi Suzuki DR650 Adv Riders Sign in Here please

Discussion in 'Australia' started by davorallyfan, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm, son and I both have the GT Air and Air 2 and have found them to be the quietest helmets we have used, very comfortable and very high quality. Far better helmet than the Hornet and AGV and Shark I have had and the NXR my son had previously. The optics through the slip down sun visor are excellent. Bit like oils and tyres, things suit different people.
    fayeslane and Precis like this.
  2. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Haven't worn an AGV since I found you can slip them off with the strap still done up and generally not a fan of apparel named after creatures that bite! Never even bothered to try an NXR. helmet-snob? Probably.
    Yes the Shoei drop-down is good - much darker than the Caberg's. I fitted a photo-chromatic PinLoc visor to hers - and she also wore sunnies in the ice, on the salt and in the deserts.
    But she now detests Shoeis, having lived in one all day, every day for weeks on end. Loves her Klim, Forma, Wolfman and all the other high-end gear - just no longer a Shoei fan - and the way my Syncrotec fell apart prematurely tells me Shoei have lowered their quality control levels.
    YMMV.
    Cruz likes this.
  3. fayeslane

fayeslane Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer:
    Helmets are a bit like bikes - you can read ad nauseum but you dunno until you own and use one.

I recently bought a HJC RPHA70 based on testing here (and price) - https://crash.org.au/ratings.php
    It's OK but - significantly noisier than the GT-Air, uncomfortable after 2 hours and qualitywise I can't see it lasting the 5 years I usually keep a helmet for. Cost was approx $500.
    My GT-Air is 5 years old and shows minimal wear.

Going by the crash.org results maybe a new Airoh Valor every coupla years is the go??
  4. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Looking back at pictures, I was using Shoei helmets almost exclusively from the mid-1980s; I had a (plastic) very early ADV style helmet for long-distance car races (it was an open-topped Sports 2000 and the peak was useful as the sun went down), used a Bell while racing in the Yamaha team (sponsored, so why not?!) and it was that Bell which broke my sternum when I rolled the car in 1993; never used one since. A string of Shoeis were my choice for road riding, literally for decades. But definite reduction in quality meant the third flip-front (it was a Neotec, I think) was my last. I even bought one Shoei in Tokyo (Uemo Park) because the "western" helmets of the time didn't fit my round head.
    Good to hear they've lifted their game with your helmet, but that came too late for us - we've found alternatives we're happy with. I tried to count up the family Shoeis over the years - it's well over a dozen. Won't be any more.
  5. dobbo

dobbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Help!!!!!
    Mikuni BST40 Carburettor ?

Bike : 2008 DR650, stock exhaust and airbox (No snorkel).
    I have a flat spot in my bike at around 3/4 to full throttle, and found the adjusting of the pilot (fuel) screw has no effect at all, doesn't even raise/decrease the RPM's.

What I have done so far.....
    Carb cleaned,
    Throttle Valve Slide and Throttle Slide guide have been replaced.
    Needle clip height has been adjusted a few times with no difference, so I have left in clip in the 3rd position.
    Pilot screw replaced and set at 1.5 turns out.
    Carb Orings/washers replaced.
    Main Jet was set at stock (#140) when I noticed the problem, so I have changed the main jet to #157.5, which seems to have made the bogging down slightly worse further into the rev range, closer to full throttle.

My next move is to try a main jet at #150 size??

Problem indicators from the BST Magic post, would suggest it has to do with the main jet;

air screw = 0 - 1/8 throttle
    pilot jet = 1/8 - 1/4 throttle
    slide valve = 1/8 - 1/2 throttle
    needle = 1/4 - 3/4 throttle
    main jet = 3/4 - full throttle

Please note, I have no intention of upgrading the carby to a pumper/flat side carb; as the bike has a heap of Km's on it and has served me well over the last 12 years, so I don't want to spend much on it and I am not interested in trying for more power, I have other bikes for that.

Any help would be appreciated as I am losing trust in the bike and I am hesitant in riding it anywhere remote.

Cheers
    Dobbo.
    tripodtiger likes this.
  6. DR Steve

DR Steve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you've had it for 12 years and it used to run well I'd hazzard a guess the carb is worn out. The BST's do tend to wear out. If that the case, you should be able to get a near new one off a bike that's had a flat slide upgrade for not many $$$.
    dmsantam likes this.
  7. explodingmouse

explodingmouse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hi guys after my accident I finally got my bike back , umfortunately missing my right hand sidecover I was just wondering if anyone has a white

right hand sidecover they are willing to part with ?
  8. dmsantam

dmsantam DR and FZ1 rider

Oddometer:
    with the airbox not cut, and the airbox side cover still fitted, you're going too large on the main jet. with only snorkel removed, you should still be on mikuni 140 main. with full open top airbox and staintune exhaust i use 155main, 3rd clip needle, stock pilot approx 2 turns out.

with you indicating that you've done lots of KMs, I'd be looking at the wear on the emulsion tube. sounds like you're running rich, which a worn emulsion tube can cause.
    dobbo and Precis like this.
  9. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As stated above, your mainjet should still be the 140. If you do any of the BST Magic mods, you should do them all. Very easy to get your old carb running at least decent, even with a worn emulsion. BST Magic thread is my dodgy attempt at getting the most from the poor, highly stressed DR’s!!
  10. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    The BST's slide guide can also wear and cause issues.
  11. dmsantam

Oddometer:
    He said he has already replaced that
  12. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Oops, not paying attention :pep

I've never like liked the BST, never got mine working, so FCRs for me.
    dmsantam likes this.
  13. fayeslane

Oddometer:
    Just had a squiz at my rear Pirelli Scorpion trail. Apart from wearing flat, the tread depth on one side is 3mm and on the other side 4.5mm.
    Tyre was balanced when fitted. No rear lock ups ............ as if on a DR :lol3
    Haven't noticed anything untoward when riding.
    Probably replace it with a Shinko 705 to match the front. 705s seem like a good all rounder.
    leighwgold likes this.
  14. dmsantam

Oddometer:
    Probably due to road camber I'm guessing? Is it the right side that is worn more?
  15. dobbo

dobbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Replace the Main jet (#150)and emulsion tube, also added a new needle (U.S style, so had to shim it). I had already replaced the slide and slideguide.
    Bike seems to be running a lot better now. Should get out for a decent test run on Friday, so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the help..

With 4 bike registrations (NSW), a couple will need to go, so just checking if I love the DR enough to hang onto it for another 12 years.
    tripodtiger and fayeslane like this.
  16. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    :gerg..Try hanging your manbag on the other arm..
    tripodtiger, Woody2627 and fayeslane like this.
  17. fayeslane

Oddometer:
    I didn't explain that very well, the 2 spots are are 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock.

It may have been a problem because I just lost the rear end at 90-100 kmh on the bitumen. DR's are pretty robust, I was able to ride it 70 kms home. I've got a slosh of Betadine on my elbow and a bag of frozen peas stuffed down my shorts (hip).

Dodged one :thumb

Three cheers for ATGATT. :happay
    20201209_131916.jpg
  18. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you!!! To all you guys and a few girls who purchased a muffler and midpipe from the dodgy Canadian tig welder! I’m about to make my last midpipe. If there is anyone interested in making the midpipes, I’ll give them a hand. I will still enjoy tuning the odd DR thou.... 0404canvet
    OzCRU, bungen, TheDecepticon and 2 others like this.
  19. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    They told me mine would polish out,but.....no!:D
    Resized_20191009_065643.jpeg
    TheDecepticon, dmsantam and fayeslane like this.
  20. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Lightweight Safari Dave :D