Oz / Kiwi Suzuki DR650 Adv Riders Sign in Here please

Discussion in 'Australia' started by davorallyfan, Feb 20, 2007.

1. fayeslane

fayeslane Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer:
    I'll drop mine off for a repair quote tomorrow. Mostly superficial but it all adds up. Most annoying was the starter button snapping off??? a handy bit of stick poked in the right spot got things spinning.
    My gear is rooted. Spotted a bloke on a cruiser in shorts and t-shirt as I limped home :fpalm:fpalm:fpalm:fpalm:fpalm:fpalm
  2. fayeslane

Oddometer:
    Aerodynamics .................:ricky
  3. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that too, with the downward 'flutes' or 'strakes' adding downforce too :bubba
  4. NTJosh

NTJosh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good onya Gordon, your mid pipes are a work of art mate..how many do you think you've knocked up over the years?
    I was going to see if you'd be able to knock me one up 1-3/4 all the way through but if your pulling stumps that fine, hope your travelling ok..:photog
    leighwgold, Precis and 0405canvet like this.
  5. dobbo

dobbo Long timer

Oddometer:

Leading on...
    Bike seems to be running alot better with the #150 main jet. Needle may need a shim removed to drop it a little, as it seems a little rich.

Only issue I have now, is on steep snotty tracks, particularly over wash out mounds, bike seems to bog/momentarily stall, which throws me around a little.
    Other than that, I can grab a handfull of throttle and pin it, without any bogging.
    I might see how lowering the needle goes; but I have a sneaky suspicion that it is something to do with my float setting, as it only happens when going up steep snotty hills.
  6. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    Where do you find steep snotty hills around Wagga?
  7. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Over 200 mufflers and closing in on 300 midpipes Josh. Started the last one this morning and ran out of Argon, of course! Will finish tomorrow and sell it and I’ll be done with Argon headaches. Been great meeting so many DR riders.
    :beer
  8. fayeslane

Oddometer:
    From FB, may be worth a look...

I found today a greaseable shackle bolt that is identical to the one in the DR (swingarm to pivot links). It needs a little grinding flat just to ensure the grease flows to the holes in the oem inner bearing race but it is perfect. Same thread so the oem nut goes on the new bolt. Bolt p# FSP-001 from any 4x4 suspension place and is about $20 each. You can get them on ebay in a pair as well.
    Precis, leighwgold and BergDonk like this.
  9. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unlikely places I’ve sourced mufflers for you sorry lot!
    On a trip to Canada for a nieces’ wedding years ago, I got a call from a guy who had just purchased a muffler and midpipe. He needed a hand with jetting, remembering the area I’d sent the muffler to I asked his address. Just minutes away! So went over, sorted his jetting and as I was leaving he said,”would you like another pair of 24’s”?? Off to Oz they went. Another time an inmate phoned and said there were a pair at a Pawn shop! Got those after hard bargaining. Then I hit the motherlode! A dealer not too distant had a forgotten back room full of old replaced parts! Ended up getting 20 various mufflers from them. Now all happily purring down the road on DR’s.
    NTJosh, DIRT SQUIRTER, OzCRU and 2 others like this.
  10. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Apart from an armchair & slippers, what are you riding nowadays, Gordo?
  11. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Any idea where it needs grinding? I've got a couple coming - if they don't suit the DRs, they can go on my Rodeo ute!
  12. NTJosh

Oddometer:
    You’ve certainly knocked a few up mate, many happy DR riders out there. I see Baz is selling a 24 with midpipe at the moment.
  13. fayeslane

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Precis likes this.
  14. NTJosh

Oddometer:
    Spotted this on the Aus DR Facebook page, good idea..:-)
    Precis and fayeslane like this.
  15. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    XT 250 around the farm and watching my 701 go on Adv rides without me...
    :2cry
    leighwgold, BygDaddee and Precis like this.
  16. grrant1058

grrant1058 Motorcyclist 24/7

Oddometer:
    Is it true they only introduced the 450 limit to the Dakar to stop the fast guys running DR 650's and having an unfair advantage?
    BergDonk, BygDaddee and 0405canvet like this.
  17. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have them all race stock DR650’s for three days.... it will feel like three weeks!!

:hide
    BygDaddee likes this.
  18. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Howdy. I hope everyone is safe and well.

I have a question for 0405canvet and one for the masses.

0405canvet, I have done the BST carby mods and I'm really happy with the way the bike runs and performs. I did not seem to make any economy gains although I think that is a wrist problem there. The issue I have is that it has a small flat spot just off idle and is enough to fluff it out some times. A big rev no dramas, light throttle take off and it momentarily hesitates. Any ideas?

The one for the masses, why the hell does the DR chew out rear tyres. I know I've got a bit of weight on the bike and I'm not light either although I have lost 20 kilos and am down to 90-92 kg depending which day of the week I weigh myself. I have to be honest though, it doesn't seem to matter if the bike is loaded or not, I still seem to get the same from the rear tyres. This includes 50/50 like Hide's or TKC 80's and knobbies like the MT21 and the venerable 606.
    MT21 would be 3-4k tops
    606 would be 4-5K tops
    TKC80 maybe 7k-ish
    Hide K60 8-9K at a real push.

Is there anything wrong with running a TKC or K60 with a knobby up front apart from some obvious grip differences in real loose stuff or on wet tarmac?

From the reading I have done, this seems to be quite normal and I'm wondering why. It also seems like a scam for bike tyres and what they cost versus how long they last. If you were getting those kilometres in a cage you'd be screaming at the tyre guys.

Any thoughts welcome. :thumbup
    DRAK and leighwgold like this.
  19. Turns

Turns Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey mate ive had the same off idle splutter at times on my bush pig. Exactly as you described.
    I have done a bit with the jetting. And crisped that up anyway but it was still doing it despite running heaps better and more responsive with my jetting changes. what I’ve finally come to is i think one of two things, my float height was high so i corrected that to 14.7mm.
    But at the same time i removed the inline fuel filter that always had a considerable size air bubble in it and was impossible to bleed.
    The time that it would happen to me was when hard under brakes into a corner on a tight twin track or single track then transferring to to smooth power through the burm(low throttle)

I feel like in those unique circumstances it was probably the high float level that would flood it as the fuel was all shook up high under the hard braking and bumps and then just off idle as the slide just would crack it would get too rich type bog.

Think I’m going going to put the filter back on and see if it was definitely the float level.

I also considered it was just a DR’s normal way of telling that it is not meant to be ridden like an enduro bike while I’m rebuilding my Beta

Is 5k for a 606 not good i was pretty happy with that on mine ? I’m newish to adv on a DR from enduro so not really sure.
  20. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    You need to learn how to adjust your pilot circuit. May need a 45, or the pilot jet cleaned. Exhaust makes a big difference to jetting. I never got over 3k on a 606, get on the gas!!
    DRAK and leighwgold like this.