Oz Kiwi Suzuki VeeStrom Riders sign in here

Discussion in 'Australia' started by medicmick, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Toy Rolex

Toy Rolex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have one (as well as a 650), I call it a honest bike, nothing special but will get you there and back and it is a big improvement over the early 1000.

With a few clicks on the rear shock it will carry a load, the bride and I are not big people but she sure knows how to pack a lot of crap she will never need into a pannier.

I have Anakee 3's on the 650 and they inspire confidence on road and off, I have TKC70's on the 1000 and I never feel totally comfortable, I'm not sure if it is the bike or the tyres, the 1000 has better suspenders and brakes, the traction control has a switch but you will need to fit your own switch if you want to turn off the ABS, ground clearance is a problem when things get tight and tuff.

With the bride and a load on board and sticking within 10% of the speed limit I average 5.6lt per 100ks with a 20lt tank.

On the 650 I could easily do 900ks a day in the saddle but after 200 on the 1000 my but was sore with the stock seat, I had MJM at Goulburn do a seat for me and IMO it was well worth the price, my bike has the Suzuki touring screen and buffeting is a issue that I'm looking into, the Givi airflow is a fix but I'm not at that stage yet.

The 2014 has a few issues with the ECU fuelling on some bikes, they will puff back through the throttle bodies and stall sometimes at very low RPM's, it was fixed by 2015 and some have been able to get the ECU swapped under warranty and they all think it is a big improvement over the original, I have had no problems with mine but I have fitted a throttle tamer and a 16t front sprocket to help in the dirt when things get slow and tight.

The kickstand switch on my bike failed under warranty at about 23000ks and that is the only real issue I have had, I don't know of anybody else that has that switch fail, I carry a scotchlok in my kit in case it fails again it will only take a few seconds to get things moving along.

Hope this helps
    LivingdeadCamo and lentil like this.
  2. LivingdeadCamo

LivingdeadCamo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate, brilliant info.
    Much appreciated
  3. JohnG.

JohnG. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ive had my 2014 Vstrom for only a few months but loving it so far.
    it handles very sweet solo or two up with gear and is very easy to live with.
    Only drama really is a slightly firm seat which will get modified shortly. Ive done this to most of my bikes over the years.
    I have very good service records which show its had ECU dramas and finally a replacement unit fitted.
    ditching the standard exhaust can for after market improved bottom end torque noticeably and gave it a nice rumble note.
    current Annakee 3's are 20,000km old! And front is about knackered but the rear should make 30,000! I reckon.
    they are brilliant on tar or dirt.
    fuel range is about 400 km on a good day...
    hope this helps, cheers
    LivingdeadCamo likes this.
  4. Toy Rolex

Oddometer:
    I did forget to mention there is a recall for some VIN numbers, part of the wiring harness can rub on the tank and in some cases they also move the earth strap where it bolts to the motor.
    LivingdeadCamo likes this.
  5. LivingdeadCamo

LivingdeadCamo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info guys.
    How much is the ground clearence an issue in rutty, less than perfect terrain?
  6. JohnG.

JohnG. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, in my service records there's issues recorded with that wiring harness and a bad earth, fixed with cleaning.
  7. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone got the real world figures on how much spare power is available on the wee?

Did a bit off googling and I get some wildly different numbers.

Looking to put some big ass lights on one and it'd be nice to know what wattage is available to play with.
  8. Toy Rolex

Oddometer:
    This is the way I remember it so the numbers will be close if my brain has not turned to mush.

Up to 2007 they putout 360w at 5000rpm

2008 on it is 400w at 5000rpm

That leaves 110w to 150w to run accessories.

LED's would be the way to go for lights be that the twin OME lights or any added lights.
  9. ayoffroad

ayoffroad n00b

Oddometer:
    That sounds right.
    I run 2x 55watt H3 spot lights plus factory heated grips riding to work in the mornings with no trouble.
  10. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good stuff

Ideally we want to use halogens on the stock headlights and about 110w of auxiliary led lighting.
  11. Toy Rolex

Oddometer:
    If the Stroms have a weak point it is there stator so adding a load can help so less power is dumped back as heat via the regulator.

Keep your oil level up to help with the cooling, fit a volt meter to keep a eye on things and spot trouble before you get stuck, also fit relays to the original headlights to unload the starter switch.
    lentil, davorallyfan and DRjoe like this.
  12. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist

Oddometer:
    Hi:wave
    That was my first lesson^
    Anyone got pannier frames for an 07 DL1000
    [​IMG]
  13. Rum Runna

Rum Runna Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very quiet on here. Thinking of a new 650xl as a more touring friendly steed than my DR. Will take one for a test ride in a few weeks when back in Perth. Spoke to the dealer today said the new model will be here in June but no idea on pricing. just wondering if all the bells and whistles on the new model would be worth waiting for over the current model.
  14. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Were all out riding our Vstroms mate ....no time to post!.
  15. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Help requested.
    Mate's 2011 DL650 wouldn't start last week. He fitted a new battery and rode 600 km to my place and then 1000 km over 2 day. We got back and then his won't kick over. I tested the battery and it reads 13V. The lights work, horn worked, no blown fuses but when the starter button is pressed there is no noise and the lights dim.

Stator issue?
  16. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tried the clutch switch ?
    Wiggle the wires going to the clutch assembly, worked for me and it's pretty common from what I've read.
  17. lentil

lentil All round nice guy Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    also the sidestand switch!
  18. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good idea. Will try tomorrow.
  19. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Battery recharged fine overnight.

Checked side stand switch: works.
    Checked clutch switch: fail.
    So we bridged the clutch switch with a split pin and silicone.

Thanks for the help Strommers. It almost made me feel nostalgic for my Weestrom.
    gunnabuild1 likes this.
  20. Toy Rolex

Oddometer:
    You can't leave the clutch switch bypassed on a 2011 650, the bike will stall a lot when the RPM's get low.

The ECU thinks there is no load on the motor and will lean out the fuel delivery causing it to stall.

Stroms will display a CHECK on the dash and that CHECK can lead you to what the no start problem is, also listen for the fuel pump to cycle as a clue.

Get your mate to try staring the bike with 1/ the clutch leaver out, 2/ with the bike in gear and the side stand down, 3/ kill switch engaged, by knowing how the CHECK & fuel pump act in each situation he will be able to fault find more easily.

Wires coming off the clutch switch is very common and so is the contacts burning on the starter switch as this switch also turns the lights off each time you start the bike, the side stand switch only comes into play if the bike is in gear.