Oz Kiwi Suzuki VeeStrom Riders sign in here

Discussion in 'Australia' started by medicmick, Mar 1, 2009.

1. sbh1953

sbh1953 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've just another one. Had a K9 but sold it for a BMW F650GS DAKAR. Bad move. Now have a L2.
  2. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The wellnuts ? that hold my screen on my 07 Wee are stuffed does anyone know what size they are and where to get replacements ?
  3. Portly

Portly Plodder

Oddometer:
    My local dealer, Mud and Tar Wauchope expects to take delivery of a few 2017s in the next week or two and also a couple of the prototypes.
    The 2017s are to be plated for demo rides at the Ulysses AGM in Wauchope then for sale.
    Still no price but he should know soon.
    So if you are in the area this would be the place to get a test ride.
  4. Rum Runna

Rum Runna Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very interested in the strom . Very close to putting the DR on the market. I like it just can't seem to bond with it Like I had with other bikes.
  5. Portly

Portly Plodder

Oddometer:
    It took me a while to bond with my DR but after I threw some money at suspension, seat and wind protection it was much better. At one stage I was ready to sell it when I came across a 40F1 pipe. After putting that on with a home made baffle to quieten it and doing some carb work I love the thing (currently at 114 thousand km). Also I love the simplicity and ease of maintenance.
    I have been waiting for the new 650 stroms to see if they can sway me.
  6. unco

unco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    G day , so I have had a 2014 650 for about two years now and it's main job is to commute to work everyday , traded my dr650se on it for the more road friendly ride but now am missing a bit of dirt adventure that I used to have on the old DR .
    So with that in mind I have fitted a set of MOTOZ GPS 50/50 , risers and pannier racks , barkbusters are next ,,,,
    What else is recommend that I fit , bearing in mind I can see it getting layed over on occasion (slowly and gently hopefully )
    Cheers in advance
  7. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Crash bars and bash plate, there is a LOT of plastic that doesn't fare well at 5 km/h drops.
    It might just be me, but that oil filter at the front bottom of the engine just looks like it's begging to get hammered/pierced by an upflung rock or stick.
  8. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    @unco I thought I had solved that problem by buying a cheap drz250 and putting knobby tyres on it. My 650 Vstrom is great on gravel (I'm in NZ) and though I see others on ewechoob riding them in crazy places, I'm a wuss so it doesn't go off road. I find the 250 is bad enough to pick up, wouldn't want to pick up the strom too often. I have to admit though that getting from home to where the off roady bits are on the 250 is not so much fun after having a bigger bike.

Agree with @gunnabuild1 crash bars, bash plate, bigger foot on the end of your side stand. The bash plate should protect your oil filter. Try B and B offroad?
  9. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, mines dirt roads and gravel, think all roads rather than off road.
    Mostly because I'm a wuss, some guys can make it go anywhere, I'm not one of them.
    I hadn't thought of the foot on the side stand, I fitted a c/s with the bars and plate and tend to use that 90% of the time.
    Always have on all my bikes, never understood why so many bikes have no c/s nowadays.
  10. JohnG.

JohnG. Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 2014 has been here nearly a year now. Very easy to live with and DIY service. Just do it!
  11. stretch49

stretch49 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah gotta agree, the ultimate UJM , im on my second 650, First one was a 2005 model had it for 6 years and thought i needed something better for the dirt, so sold it and got a DR , better in the dirt but shit on long road rides. Bought a 09 model Vstrom and still got it, decked it out to suit me. Not brilliant at anything but will do everything with ease, great Vtwin motor Mr Suzuki san,
    glitch_oz likes this.
  12. BradventureRider

BradventureRider Power to rip yer bloody arms off!!!

Oddometer:
    I had an 07 DR first, love riding that bike after all the mods were done but still wanted something that was better at eating the miles. So about 10 months ago I bought an 07 DL1000 and the difference on long trips between the 2 is chalk and cheese. I've still got both bikes and just use whichever one for the type of riding I'm going to do. The DR is single seat rego so it's not real expensive to have the 2 bikes.

My DR is geared petty high, no need to shift into 5th until about 85-90 km/h, so it's not buzzy on the highway. That and all the other mods to make it more comfortable do the job well for about half a day, then it begins to get a bit ordinary. Dont get me wrong, the bike does its job and it is comfortable enough but I can sit on the DL all day no worries and no fatigue. Long trips, bigger is better, well for me anyway, others may have different opinions. But in saying that I'm not that good of a rider to take the DL where I'd take the DR. So the DR stays.
    vstromrcflyer likes this.
  13. unco

unco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep bash plate for sure ,it has one of the OME nylon sump gaurds on atm but seems flimsy ,dont intend doing any single track on it just formed gravel and dirt so concerned about flying rocks etc .
    Crashbars for sure.
    Radiator guard maybe for above same reason
  14. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    BradventureRider and robmoto like this.
  15. unco

unco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clapCheers Gunnabuild1,reckin i might have a go at that
  16. BradventureRider

BradventureRider Power to rip yer bloody arms off!!!

Oddometer:
    Nice little mod. Spray it black, use black cable ties and you'd never even know it was there
    unco likes this.
  17. medicmick

medicmick Spike

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, I started this thread back in '09, and have straddled a few others since then, but my '08 wee was the best bike I ever owned I have my eye on a mates 2012 gold wee strom, 12000km $7500, plenty of bling H&B cases top box, non OEM screenthe only thing I see is that bloody oil filter so a bashplate ? B&B to remedy that. whadda ya think? (No abuse daddy's come home).
    lentil likes this.
  18. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good. I like the new shape and would like to trade up but the problem is theres nothing wrong with my 07 wee. And at only 40000kms its only just run in..

Ive got a bandb bash plate and rack on my drz250. Very high quality parts.
  19. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:

Welcome home then....:-)
    While there always were a few others in the garage.... there has been at least one Strom occupying the top-left corner for the last 15 years.
    There were up to 8 Stroms there at a time, some mates' Vees/Wees for servicing, blinging, repairs, crash-fixes....and the 4 ThinStrom builts along the way.

It's a bloody good thing....and to think that EVERYONE wrote them off as too ugly/heavy/useless/blahblah....the press and the wise-arse ADV-punters bagged the crap out of 'em
    in the early days.
    Having seen nearly a dozen different bash plates on the DL's over the years, a B+B would be the last one I'd use.
    While the product in itself is brilliant, the basic engineering of bike-attachment is often dismal-to-plain idiotic.
    In short, the products are WAY over the top for what they are attached to...and not just for the Stroms.
    I trimmed nearly 1/2 of everything off (mounts and plate) of the B+B plate I run on the Husky TR....and can still easily
    jack the bike up for servicing by shoving a hydraulic jack under it. Beached the sucker over and over on rocks and roots, AFTER it was trimmed down, and only ever had to refab a pair of mounts, NO damage to the bike hook-ups.
    While the plate can take a good hit, the bike-mounts its attached to, can't!!
  20. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Strong views..... I was thinking of putting one on mine as its only got the plastic one atm. Which one would you suggest using if not the B and B one????