Oz Kiwi Suzuki VeeStrom Riders sign in here

Discussion in 'Australia' started by medicmick, Mar 1, 2009.

1. willows

willows Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone after a Strom 650 seat? Just put one in the flea-market...
  2. BradventureRider

BradventureRider Power to rip yer bloody arms off!!!

Oddometer:
    Oh no another tyre question. Yep, sorry guys.

I’m after real experience with tyres you have used, preferably on a VStrom, that’s why it’s in this thread. I’ll try and give as much detail as possible.

I’ve got a 2007 DL1000 and it’s getting near needing tyres, surprise surprise. The bike was bought from a dealer a bit over 2 years ago and they fitted Pirelli Scorpion Trails front and rear to it for the RWC etc. I picked up the bike with 61000 km on it and have now done a bit over 72000 km without any issues or problems from the tyres. This is what they look like now.

Front
    DE582BB7-297B-4A62-9CE6-A8E384B5D3E9.jpeg

Rear

D9C62E3E-74E5-442D-B6DB-EBABF6A10698.jpeg

There’s a few kms left in them but they are getting to their end, overall I’m happy with how long they’ve lasted. The bike is used pretty much 99% of the time for bitumen road riding. I don’t use this bike much for dirt as I have a DR for that. The bulk of my riding is straight highway as evident by the tyre wear, that will continue to be the riding that I’ll do with it. I heard somewhere that the Scorpians were a 80/20 tyre, I reckon they’re more like a 90/10, which is fine for what I do anyway. They’re not too bad on gravel as long as the surface is fairly hard.

Geared up I’m about 105 kg and if I am off somewhere I might be carrying 20-25 kg on the bike of camping gear etc. To my knowledge the bike has stock suspension and for what I do it suits me ok.

If Scorpians are the best choice I’ll get them again, if you reckon there’s better out there let me know as that’s all I’ve had on this bike and have nothing to compare to.

Your input is appreciated.

Cheers
    Brad
  3. Portly

Portly Plodder

Oddometer:
    I would look for something dual compound or multi compound to help avoid squaring off.
    I have put Continental TKC 70s on my 650 but these are a bit more off road than you want and will also be noisier than your current tyres.
    BradventureRider likes this.
  4. Portly

Portly Plodder

Oddometer:
    Stromtroopers might be a better place to ask
  5. RowBust

RowBust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At the moment I've metzeler karroo, noisy but are surprisingly good on the road. I won't get them again because I don't do enough dirt roads, I think I'll try the new Metzler karroo roads next
    JohnG. and BradventureRider like this.
  6. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    Hi Brad,

I have a similiar ride profile to you.

DL650 (I can see you have a 1000) 99.99% commuting.

I run Michelin Road Pilots on mine (100% road / 0% off road). I've never had a problem on road and they seem to handle hard gravel (on the odd time i've been on gravel) well.

I won't change mainly because I am happy with them and tyres over here are too expensive to be experimenting.

So I'd say if you are happy with your Scorpians, stick with them.
  7. Sfcootz

Sfcootz Proud to be a 0.6106142755%er Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Have you looked at Bridgestone T30 Evos if available in Oz? I was happy with them and they had a pretty good life expectancy.
  8. BradventureRider

Oddometer:
    Cheers guys, thanks heaps for the info above. I’m probably a month or 2 away from getting new tyres so your suggestions will give me something to research in the meantime.
  9. Sfcootz

Oddometer:
    I found the PR4's also did well. Maybe you can find a pair on closeout. The Road5's have been okay although I killed my last rear dead in 6,000 miles/9,700kms and they are expensive. Some of the tires I have been running over the last few years have an EVO or Sport Touring edition meant for heavier bikes.

I enjoyed the turn in on the T30's and my friends say the T31's are even better.

@BradventureRider
  10. BradventureRider

Oddometer:
    I just did a google of the t30’s, they look a fair bit like my scorpions now. Good to get plenty of options suggested.

Cheers
    Sfcootz likes this.
  11. BradventureRider

Oddometer:
    What bike did you run the PR5’s on? How dead were they at 9.7 k
  12. Sfcootz

Oddometer:
    I have those on my GS now, which is 80 HP. They were so dead I went to my friend's motorbike hire shop and he told me he didn't want to see them in his shop again. :lol3

The rear had lost a lot of its traction and was sliding around every corner I took. May have been heat cycles? :dunno

(I've had two DL650's and two DL1000's so I am qualified to chime in here. I ran the t30's on both the 650 and the 1000 and was happy with them.)
  13. BradventureRider

Oddometer:
    Cool that’s the kind of info I like to hear.

It’s after 11pm over your way I’ll let you go to sleep now. Thanks for the info.

Cheers
    Sfcootz likes this.
  14. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My previous ADV bike was a KLR650 which I bought new and then spent too much money farkling only to end up with a bike that didn't suit the mix of riding I did. It was ok off road, good on dirt roads and a bit underpowered on the highway.

This time I bought a 2nd hand V-Strom (picked it up today) which is already fitted with most of the farkles I want -: Givi adjustable screen, Givi crash bars, Givi skid plate, rear rack and lockable top box, heated grips, ABS switch and USB charger. It was fitted with Suzuki genuine handguards which were already cracked so I've removed them and ordered a set of Barkbusters with white VPS plastics (to match the bike). I'll grab a set of soft luggage and that'll do me I reckon.

I found time to take the... long way home :clap

[​IMG]
    gco0307, badmanners and Sfcootz like this.
  15. Sfcootz

Oddometer:
    Congratulations and welcome to the club!
    Geoff3DMN likes this.
  16. Just Dan

Just Dan Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer:
    I had Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 on my 650 Vstom. I think they are good all rounder. Good in the wet and decent mileage as well.
    BradventureRider and Geoff3DMN like this.
  17. JohnG.

JohnG. Long timer

Oddometer:
    On TKC 70's good tar gravel road grip...
  18. RowBust

RowBust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had 2 sets of road 5s ,flogged em to the very end, never experienced anything like that, still gripping to the end
    Sfcootz likes this.
  19. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not a tyre expert and I've still got a a bit of wear left before I need new tyres (it passed RWC with the ones on it), I'll have a trawl through the mountain of strom tyre threads a bit later ;)
    BradventureRider and Sfcootz like this.
  20. BradventureRider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the input guys, well appreciated, gives me plenty to think about. As it turns out I probably won’t be getting new tyres until early next year, long distance ride has been canned this year due to other commitments, so I’ve got a bit more time to check out options now.

Cheers