Oz Moto Guzzi V85 TT

Discussion in 'Australia' started by gavo, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Surprised they don't have any 850s as hardly see one on the road anywhere.
  2. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    So you knocked back one with yellow on it because you wanted one with red on it, and then you went and bought another brand blue bike instead ?

3. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    actually there are one or 2 850ADV
  4. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    No. And the Ronald bike had klms on it.
  5. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    Test ride a Triumph and see if you are immune. Thunderbird, Rocket 3, XE1200, Tiger900. Take your pick. Beautifully built bikes.
  6. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    the only one there that would slightly interest me would be the 900GT, and only sightly
  7. Dee Cee

Dee Cee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes I can relate to this. Traded a well worn K100RS on a 1000 Cali in 1993 in Cairns at Lenords Motorcycles. It was still waiting for the screen so it was naked. Road down the the road 5 klicks to show my passenger/girlfriend (her comfort had a lot to do with this decision) Pulled up where she worked and thought "Jesus what have I done" It shook from side to side more than I anticipated ( I did 5 years on an R90S Bm so knew about the cross frame thing) It was gutless, clunky, woody brakes but it was a great riding position and it looked amazing. Thought about backing out of the deal for a small time and then decided to give it a go, it wasn't a cheap bike, thats for sure.

So we headed off to Sydney on her about a month later just after the first service and the love affair slowly came to light. The lady on the back loved it and I adjusted my riding to suit this type of bike. It was definitely down on power from the K100 but that was good as the speed policing was ramping up every where and a slower more relaxing bike was the order of the day. You had to plan overtaking manovers a little more but this thing handled beautifully 2 up with gear while the BM used to shake its head a little.

To cut this story short this bike did 18 years of faithfull service and about 130,000 klicks, mostly 2 up and we went every where on it with all our clobber on the back. I sold her about 10 years ago and bought a 990 ADV (another great bike which I still have) and I still miss her. To the piont that I am now looking at them again. We now have time to ride together again and the 990 is just a little too agressive for us to feel like we did back then. There is no easier bike to park and get on and off than the Cali Guzzi. Very basic to service and maintain, bloody bulletproof. No doubt about it Guzzis are an aquired taste and not for every body and take time to get to know. Had I been able to test my Cali before buying (the standard half hour around the block thing) I would never have bought it at all. It is the only bike I have missed enough to want back after selling and I've had quite a few.

I have looked at the V85TT and I reckon it would be a good thing, but it will never go like my 990, totaly different tune and setup but it would be effortless to ride around Oz and take you anywhere you wanted to point it with great comfort, reliability and a little different from the masses.:D:D
    nevgriff64, tvan, rossguzzi and 5 others like this.
  8. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Reckon you are spot on there Dee Cee.
  9. JohnG.

JohnG. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mate at Captains flat has one, potentially a good thing I reckon ...
    But life is busy and my late model modded Vstrom is just easy to live...
    Cruz and BygDaddee like this.
  10. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    It would be fair to say plenty of people have praised BMWs and 700 Tenere and not bought them either after a test ride. I am one of them.
    People praise bikes they own but then sell them just to try something else!
    Blakduk likes this.
  11. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a Cali 3 and loved it. It made a great partner to my MHR. A wonderful bike to just chill out and cruise around on. I even put a sidecar on it with a baby seat for my daughter. I come close to buying a couple just recently to make a cafe racer out of. They have the lower compression, small valve motor with 30mm Delorto's but still use the LeMans frame and running gear.
    As for the TT, I would buy one tomorrow without a thought if the 1150 wasn't such a comfortable bike for my crook back. The TT might be too but I'm not game to chance it without a "long" test ride and local dealer wasn't keen.
    JohnG., Dee Cee and Cruz like this.
  12. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    Who's your local dealer Andrew, I might have to go and have a look.
  13. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Motocity at Fairy Meadow.
    Woody2627 likes this.
  14. rossguzzi

rossguzzi 990 Adv.

Oddometer:
    Ive had 6 Guzzi`s and got to borrow a Cali from our local gootsie man Mario for a weekend. All you say about reliability and so on I can agree on, but, I could not wait to get off the thing. What a horrible ride position, bar angle screen.......YUK. Proved to me that cruisers just aint my thing.
    The only 2 cruisers I would ever contemplate is the ol auto Guzzi. I do like them tho I have never ridden one, and a Rocket 3. Rode one of them and wow.
    I think the 850tt would be a good thing.
  15. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Wrong side of the Vcitorian virus zombi-fence
    I don't like cruisers either; but I did like my Cali EV (bought as a wreck and rebuilt as a sidecar tug) because it could hustle; My fave was rounding up the leather 'n latte brigade in the mountains and all without any of the silly arse-off-the-seat histronics. Why put a knee down when you have perfectly good footboards?!
    I always thought the Convert was wrongly pitched as a tourer, especially with such a torquey engine when most riders will get to top gear and stay there all day. Rather, the Convert - with less 'stuff' on it, made a lot of sense as a twist 'n go bike in traffic. My mate Neil (he was a big, big guy) bought one when I bought my LM in 1977 and has done several hundred thousand km on it. Forty years on, I will confess to be vaguely looking out for one....
    JohnG. likes this.
  16. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Was that the new Rocket 3?
  17. rossguzzi

rossguzzi 990 Adv.

Oddometer:
    Yeh the new one. Only thing is the fueling was not spot on. It had some hunting going on at 80 kph. Felt like I was running over ripple strips.
    Grunt like nothing else. Looks good. Comfy, but dirt worthy ? Dont think so.
    If money was no object, it could replace the Tuono.
    JohnG. likes this.
  18. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Certainly not dirt worthy. ;)
  19. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    You may be surprised. A few years back I cut a tight circuit in the grass out the front. Jdeks had his 990 and I had my stelvio. I was expecting him to at least keep up , but the stelvio was marginally quicker! Admittedly this was well outside of what the stelvio was ever designed to do ....and were were both pissing ourselves after a few laps....bloody hilarious . That thing was an overweight barge but surprised me every time I gave it a chance

Have you seen moto modas stelvio with a 1400 cal motor? Because everyone needs a 1400 cc dirt bike.....

Anyway, back on topic

WTF....the red one has a black frame :dunno

CDC4E579-1464-4C4B-AA91-33C2A4D7344D.jpeg
    JohnG., nevgriff64 and Cruz like this.
  20. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    And looks a whole lot better for it ...
    nevgriff64 and Cruz like this.