Oz trip planning

Discussion in 'Asia Pacific' started by tkach, Nov 6, 2018.

1. tkach

tkach Long timer

Oddometer:
    New thread moved for a discussion in the Dakar thread, original post:

"Hi guys, a bit off topic
    my friend that's on that rtw trip atm should get her bike from customs in a day or so, route has changed so i'm looking for intel... Suggestions, must see stuff etc, any pitching in would be great...
    She's in Melbourne atm then going through the Snowy Mountains to Adelaide then up to Darwin and down the cost through Brisbane to Sydney. She doesn't do well offroad, so anything else would be welcoming :D
    Really hope @WayneC, @Aquatic, @Clay-doh, @wiz.au and anyone else from Oz could suggest anything"

2. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Thomas

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    What does this mean: "She doesn't do well offroad, so anything else would be welcoming"?
    How long is she there for? Assuming gravelroads are still ok I would suggest something like this for general route:

Melbourne to Adelaide:
    On her way to Adeliade after GOR is The Grampians, after that Clair or Barossa valleys if she's into wine (who isn't?).

Adeliade to Darwin: I enjoyed Gawler, but didn't go center between SA and NT. Uluru and Alice Springs are that way.

Darwin to Cairns: Up north she has to take a trip into Bungle Bungle and Kakadu. The best stretch of road I rode (most remote/ adventure-ish) was The Savannah Way from NT to Cairns.

East coast back down to Melbourne: Brisbane, Surfers Paradise, Sydney, Blue Mountains.
    Do the VIC alps on the trip back down when it's proper summer and dryer so she can actually ride up to the top of the mountains/ ski resorts.
    Finish with Dargo and Lakes Entrance area before highway back to Melbourne.
    Fishnbiker likes this.
  3. ferals5

ferals5 Team black bikes

Oddometer:
    Hey mate what is she riding and how long is her stay, awfully hot up through the centre and across the top from now into summer
  4. Clay-doh

Clay-doh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @tkach stage#1: https://goo.gl/maps/Dg2UeitLWrx

I'm not as "traveled" as some of my fellow countrymen in here, however I've personally done the above more than once and love it.

Stage# 2 to follow.....
    tkach likes this.
  5. Clay-doh

Oddometer:
    tkach likes this.
  6. Clay-doh

Oddometer:
    Stage# 3: https://goo.gl/maps/jjvXeGxip5q

The GOR through to Adelaide - Australia's smallest Capital City (besides Canberra - but Canberra don't matter - apologies @wiz.au ) and I like Adelaide so it's worth a visit.

I'll leave the next bits to the more traveled as I've never personally made it further than Adelaide (yet....) though I do agree with the above feedback that up the centre this time of year might be a mistake....
    tkach likes this.
  7. tkach

tkach Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey
    She's riding a 650gs thumper and her visa is until the end of january.
    ferals5 likes this.
  8. tkach

tkach Long timer

Oddometer:
    Clay-doh likes this.
  9. tkach

tkach Long timer

Oddometer:
    It means that if we fancy offroad tracks, the more the better, in her case the less gravel there is the better. Last time I've seen her kit it was 60kg, super overwight etc
  10. tkach

tkach Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate
    She's not on adv, but we're 'online' 24/7. I'll pass on your offer.
    In the mean time if you have any suggestion with the route it'd be great. I've added a working map link above for visual reference.
  11. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Thomas

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    Ok, I see. Sux.
    There's always an asphalt route, mostly in the populated areas like along the coast.
  12. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    FYI, they loosened the working visa rules today, re the Nth, NT & Western Qld, they are expecting hotter than normal & so getting back to the coast across Qld before January would be wise along with taking care re strangers out on the road in Western Qld Mt ISA/Cloncurry area in particular, aim for Cairns & the coast
  13. zukjeff

zukjeff OCD,ADHD,ADV

Oddometer:
    Geday From Bendigo, central Victoria.
    It is the wrong time of the year for inexperienced/ unprepared travelers to do anything up the center!!!
    Late October many of the remote outback sites close. Temperatures are regularly over 40DecC.
    I have traveled lots of the central OZ but in a SUV.
    I will have a think today after chatting with the wife and reply with our ToDo list.
    tkach likes this.
  14. ferals5

ferals5 Team black bikes

Oddometer:
    :thumb looks good, Id swap out the B400 Corryong-Tallangatta to the more northerly twisties of the C546 following the Murray River Tintaldra-Granya Gap-Tallangatta (there is also a dirt option on the opposite side of the river and cut back across into Victoria via the Wymah ferry).

Get her to ditch some of that 60kg...:deal

and get her to sign up here :D:deal:deal
  15. wiz.au

wiz.au Long timer

Oddometer:
    BMW 2013 TS (Road)
    GPX
    KML

GPX is best because all the way-points of things to stop and see, where you can get food, fuel, accommodation, are all marked.
    BaseCampFullImg.jpg
  16. Clay-doh

Oddometer:
    @tkach how's our visitor going? Is she on the road yet? Did all the above help at all - including the (very sound) advice to NOT head up the centre of OZ at this time of year?
  17. tkach

tkach Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bike got help by customs, again, so staying put atm. Thanks for asking. And we're still working on the route. She's determent to celebrate new years in Sydney, which kinda makes things rushing, again((
  18. Clay-doh

Oddometer:
    Yeah! - Sydney New Years = must see for a visitor if they can fit it in. Lots of Aussies don't appreciate just how fantastic is is. Keep us informed of her progress, as I'm sure people who have contributed would be happy to catch her along the way and take her through their local areas to make sure she sees the local secrets. After Sydney, I'd assume she will head south in the general direction of Melbourne again? If so, the next leg may include the following:

Around the Illawarra (my area) area just south of Sydney, starting off with The Royal National Park:

https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/visit-a-park/parks/royal-national-park - a ride that must not be missed.

Which to the Parks immediate south includes Stanwell Tops:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7146/6464761203_29d3a0e6d8_b.jpg

and The Sea Cliff Bridge (short, but you can go back and forth till you've absorbed all that is to see):

https://www.visitnsw.com/destinatio...ds/stanwell-park/attractions/sea-cliff-bridge

Then Wollongong:

http://www.visitwollongong.com.au/ (everyone from Sydney comes down to Wollongong as our beaches are better, and easier to access ;) )

The up Macquarie Pass (don't let the title of this link scare you - "dangerous" in our Nanny State = fun):

https://www.dangerousroads.org/australia-and-oceania/australia/3316-macquarie-pass.html

Then anywhere throughout the "Southern Highlands" of NSW down towards Canberra and the Snowy Mountains again.

@WayneC @wiz.au what else could we add to our region?

*Edit: the "Illawarra" region is explained here:

https://www.southcoast.com.au/illawarra/
  19. Clay-doh

Oddometer:
    Another thing I'll add:

Victoria is known for very little tolerance from the local highway patrol, so take care once shes underway.

The Christmas/New Years period in Oz is heavily "Policed" everywhere, with very little tolerance also - though it's my understanding that Russki Police are quite strict also, so she may already be in tune with our Nanny State :1drink
  20. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well if Sydney is the destination for new year then it would have to be a quick trip through NT Qld before Sydney or not at all as January onwards starts getting into monsoon season for the far north & definitely not the place to be, as for further NSW places, any roads for U turns up & down he great divide would be appropriate there are good roads all he way up to the Qld border, basically anything other than Pacific Hwy north of Sydney