1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

Oz Yamaha WR250/450 riders sign in here!

Discussion in 'Australia' started by rhino_343, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    Main issue with the Kayaba equipped Sherco is the price for the up spec suspenders ( + $1500 odd ) where the Yamaha it is std pricing . The new Gas Gas is a low spec KTM in red though , no Kayaba available any more . Plus as stated above , no new Shercos available for at least another 4 months locally , and I am NOT a patient man . I also have a local suspension guru who can rejig the WP explore fork to be a pretty good performer for a few - several hundred bux .

@darren70 , what have you replaced your 450 with , or going to ?

JL loves his old WR 250 F , he bought it off Pondy about 6 or 7 years ago . I am assuming he has not updated that bike , I haven't seen him for about 3 years .
    Hoots likes this.
  2. darren70

darren70 Loud pipes matter

Oddometer:
    A couple of mates have 300 Shercos and love them
    I have a TE 300tpi now
    Yes he still has it
    Oldfatbeerman likes this.
  3. Oldfatbeerman

Oddometer:
    Your thoughts on the 3 hunge so far ?
  4. Ready set slow

Ready set slow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dropped my 07 wr450f in a rather large puddle today.Didnt think much of it until it wouldn't start.After kicking it for a good 10 min it finally started and I rode home.Checked oil and its milky do you just do an oil change and ride on or is there something else I should check
  5. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    use cheap oil and change it 3 or 4 times checking the oil each time you drop it, ride it around the block a couple of times, put a new filter in on the first change and just clean it a bit each change, then put a new filter in on the last change with your good oil

drain your air box drain, and clean filter of course

thats what I did anyway
    Cruz likes this.
  6. Ready set slow

Oddometer:
    Hate to start an oil thread but any recommendations and how many changes would you expect
  7. Ready set slow

Oddometer:
    Sorry didn't comprehend the 3 or 4 times bit
    BygDaddee likes this.
  8. Oldfatbeerman

Oddometer:
    You only need to do the oil change 2 or 3 times , once the oil is looking normal , one more change is enough .Also helps to give the bike a slow warm ride, as in get the bike plenty hot , this evaporates off most of the water still not mixed with the oil and stops any rust pitting on internal bits . Absolute worst thing you can do is leave the milkshake oil in it for any length of time .
    BygDaddee and Ready set slow like this.
  9. Ready set slow

Oddometer:
    Draining tomorrow night may not have time to refill and dump until the weekend.Any recommendations on a cheap oil
  10. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    any 10-40, 10-50, 15-50 motorcycle or diesel engine oil, mineral or semi, just whatever 4 litres like that you can get cheap

and take OFB’s point on getting it hot and moisture out, I ended up with a bit of pitting and rust on an inlet cam lobe

i wouldnt leave it as long as you said, id at least get one fresh lot of oil in and idled for a few minutes and dropped, even your old oil from your last oil change if you have it, as long as its not contaminated
    Ready set slow likes this.
  11. AusTMan

AusTMan apprentice old fart

Oddometer:
    Coming from the '15 450 with safari tank and fairing this one feels very small and much lighter.
    I had 14/47 sprockets on the old one so it feels very low geared with the standard 13/50 but boy does it go, sit down monos anywhere from 80 to 100kmh in top gear with just a slight tug on the bars, put it back down and the speedo showed 150 at one stage.:D
    I usually back the suspension off on my bikes as I don't do big jumps but I haven't needed to on this one yet as it seems quite compliant.
    I put my Haan cush drive rear wheel on before I rode it (because I already had it) with a half worn out 120/90 tyre and it was a good 2inches lower than the 130 that comes on them now so I will probably change the gearing for around here (no hills) to 14/47 for a more relaxed? cruising speed.
    Hoots and BygDaddee like this.
  12. AusTMan

AusTMan apprentice old fart

Oddometer:
    . IMG_20201227_143220_730.jpg
    Ready set slow, Hoots and BygDaddee like this.
  13. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    More photos, just because

get out and ride, one day, some day, you’ll wish you had done more

C253C660-BAA9-4CF2-93C0-56DD436E7C47.jpeg
    2FD69A15-E1FF-442E-8A6D-2871C7BCB532.jpeg
    84688457-D1FF-4F6E-8071-059517A18817.jpeg
    7F6B44EA-AE68-4727-B77B-21979601DABF.jpeg
  14. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    New 450F looks sensational - see what you mean about the hills ...

And BD, re' Beta: going well and love it - won't sell it at this stage - for me it's a great bike for singletrack, as mostly alone and it's so light and easy - but as time goes on, feel increasingly that it's not a good bike for more open fire trails - have had the suspension done, and a lot better than stock, but the front end in particular just doesn't cope well

We've got brilliant forest fire trails in this area - can stitch together huge days in the Brindies / coastal ranges - want to get another trailie for that remit - have thought through the spectrum from the 690/701 right down to a free-revving 250 2T - everything has its advantages and limitations, but at the end of the day the WRF's great suspension out of the box put it in front for me

Currently thinking that the 250 might be the better option this time around
    BygDaddee and Cruz like this.
  15. Ready set slow

Oddometer:
    Would I be right in thinking it will take 1l of oil without a filter change and 1.2l with a filter change
  16. Oldfatbeerman

Oddometer:
    I dunno , different year models have different oil capacities , fill it till it hits the minimum line on the dipstick I guess , I would not put a new filter in until it is good to go , it won't hurt to run it a bit without a filter for a short while and you only need to do 3 or 4 Km in 2 nd and 3 rd gear to get the oil right around the system .
    Ready set slow likes this.
  17. Oldfatbeerman

Oddometer:
    I've made a decision and had it OK'd by SWMBO after finding a new 21 WR 2fiddy for sale not too far away . I began the tart up of the 450 for trading in this arvo , sweat was dripping off me while I worked even with a big arse fan blowing on me , Colourbond sheds and Summer are not nice as a combo for working in .
  18. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    I can see a DRZ in your future :photog

Hoots and darren70 like this.
  19. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    its why I send my wife to work to get her out and have AC in the family room :D

1260E8C8-EA7A-42CB-A664-A829974FF1B5.jpeg
    Oldfatbeerman likes this.
  20. Oldfatbeerman

Oddometer:
    You are an almost clever little Vegemite :D .
    BygDaddee likes this.