OZ Yamaha XT600 owners sign in here please

Discussion in 'Australia' started by motormail, Jan 2, 2011.

1. motormail

motormail Supermoto Posty

Oddometer:
    Couldn't find an Australian thread just for the XT's so figured I'd start one.

Here's a link to my 1991 XT600E thread.

Cheers
    Robo
  2. cuvy

cuvy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    smashing idea. here's some pics of my 1996 XT6 supermoto for your viewing pleasure:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(pics are a bit old - current list of mods include acerbis 23L tank, SMPro rims, renthal bars, supermoto fender, EBC 320mm disc, vapour dash, full custom stainless exhaust)

Phil
  3. obe01

obe01 Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is my old girl. Great old bikes. Mine is an MP XT 600. Very strong motor and the brakes on this old girl are great. Great way of getting into Adventure riding on a budget. You can load these old girls up and away you go. Easy to work on and hardly give ya any probs. Good size tank on them as well..

This is a pic of when I first got her home before I replaced everything that needed doing and yeah, removing all that old grease that the Army puts into them..

[​IMG]

And another, racks were off for painting and everything else done including some decent rubber..

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Johnnie
  4. vudu

vudu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Mmmm! Gold rims!

Recent major service including re-bore, 1st over, piston and rings, valve guides, new clutch, fork seals, fluids.

Have a Yoshi muffler to fit soon. Progressive fork springs and a respoke for the front wheel at next service (500 km run in).

Looking for some Yam side covers to replace the XR's as fitted. So if you have some yam covers fitted to your XR lets swap. :roflAnd header pipe and a chain guard, tail light, petcock, sprocket cover, and ... and ...
  5. motormail

Oddometer:
    Hey Cuvy,

That's an awesome looking Xt you've got there.
    Can you tell me where you got the black plastics from?

Rhanks
    Robo
  6. motormail

Oddometer:
    Anyone know what model XT fits what in the way of plastics? Just had a thought, does anyone know how to load a document into ADVRider, a blog or website which all XT owners can share specific info on a single document eg. websites to get stuff for each sort of XT and or eg. what footpegs from other bikes fits onto a 1991 XT600E? Answer = Yamaha TW200. I think this sort of document would be beneficial to all XT owners instead of having to troll through hundreds of pages of ADVRider, HorisonsUnlimited, etc to find the info you're after.

Cheers
    Robo
  7. cuvy

cuvy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Robo,

I think the 94 model had black plastics - one i got second hand, and the other was a genuine part i got from the local yamaha dealer.

As for parts interchangability, as i posted here

Cheers,
    Phil
  8. mjoneill82

mjoneill82 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i forgot what it looked like..... wow thats a nice ride!!!:evil
  9. cuvy

cuvy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks - I'm pretty happy with how the XT is now, though it has taken some time and of course there's always something else to do. I'll be putting an army rack i got from Mike on the rear soon purely for practical purposes. I'm aiming to do some more work on the front brakes, including a (knock off brembo) radial master cylinder.

Down the track maybe some sort of four piston front caliper and the associated relocating bracket ("the hard part"). I'd also like to try out some Ninja 250 CVK carbs or flatslides and a higher compression piston - My SRX6 has an 11:1 piston and keihin FCR33's and it goes like stink.

We'll have to have a Brisbane catch up sometime - between you, mike, danjet, luke and mezo we've got quite a few XTs.

Cheers,
    Phil
  10. JCat

JCat ............

Oddometer:
    Are TT's invited?

I have a 98 TTR600 Belgarda, very different to an XT i know but apparently nearly identical engines?

I would put a pic up if i knew how....:D

BTW, roughly how many trouble free k's are these engines capable of ?

Jason.
  11. cuvy

cuvy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sure, why not - wish i had a TT since they're a bit spec'ier than the XT's!

Provided they get regular oil changes, the electric start XT's (90-2003) will easily do 100k kms before any work to the top end is required. not sure on the life of the bottom end, but i'm guessing 150k at the very least. TT's would surely be the same, since i understand that the only difference is cam and jetting. even if they had a slightly higher comp piston i can't see this making too much of a difference.

Phil
  12. JCat

JCat ............

Oddometer:
    Good info, thanks Phil.

Lets hope we get a few more XT/TT owners in here to share some knowledge..
  13. Double_Supercool

Double_Supercool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's my girl. I haven't been out in a few weeks and I will be away in QLD for the next two (timing eh?), but I am keen to head out for some longer trips around the ACT this year

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Matt
  14. gateman

gateman Long timer

Oddometer:
    XT600 only????

Just asking
  15. saintell

saintell Monarchs #30

Oddometer:
    ??Mebee,what have you got?I have an XT550 cheers Nev:eek1

Just asking[/QUOTE]
  16. gateman

gateman Long timer

Oddometer:
    An 08 XT660R... Some may say ..bland.. And some may need to go for a ride.

Its very different to my other bike but in its own place i'm starting to get to like it. Still running it in and learning that its going to teach me a few more lessons and serve up lots of fun.
  17. saintell

saintell Monarchs #30

Oddometer:
    Good one Gateman,
    i have just bought an XT 550 it will do me for a while,I will be looking for some bits for it but the main reason is it's age,I can put it on redplates and still ride it anywhere anytime,needs some TLC (don't they all)but a good bike anyway ,cheers Nev
  18. gateman

gateman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep I think the whole XT thing is prity cool.
    They hav ebeen making these things since year dot and they seem to hit a spot prity well heynev. I spotted one old unit stuffed in the corner of a shed a few years back and thought not much more of it until a couple of weeks back when it was going down the road in all its choockshit and rags covered glory....and it sounded ok.
    Had mine out again this a/noon to go up and feed the dogs on another place. It gets better with every ride.

ps Nev ,Victorias not that big mate, your outfit would bust out of the place in a day.
  19. saintell

saintell Monarchs #30

Oddometer:
    Hi Gataman,actually it only takes half a day to bust out,I remember years age we went to Qld on our first trip got to the Vic border and thought that was easy,then found out how big NSW is,anyway my bike is not covered in chookshit but rattle can black looks s###house,so started to remove it thinking I might go back to original colours,mine was white etc.it will be a fair job but sourcing some parts might prove difficult,looking for a tank and muffler ,but the motor sounds great and goes well,cheers Nev
  20. RoscoOz

RoscoOz Aprentice Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There seem to be a shyte load of Brissy Based XT Freaks - Well done

I am just about to embark on round 2 of the refurb of mine.

Does anyone have a wiring harness or know where i can get one ?