P r o j e c t "s"

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by TINK, May 3, 2011.

1. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's been some time since I've updated the PROJECT-S thread... :1drink

The latest upgrade was a pair of EZ Pull Carb Springs > http://www.bmwthrottlesprings.com/

I stumbled across the bmwthrottlesprings.com web site and thought for $20 I'd give it a try.

One of the first things I noticed about my R100S when I started riding her was that the throttle took a MANLY pull to turn.

I know the gears on the throttle are almost shot, but until they are gone completely I'm not planning on spending the money to replace these worn parts.

I pulled the throttle apart and applied a good helping of a high quality bicycle bearing gears to the gears and other points of concern.

I then put the EZ Pull springs on the carbs.

The resulting throttle pull is much improved and the pull is more GIRLIE now :nod.

TINK
  2. karikazio

karikazio Adventure Rookie

Oddometer:
    Hi TINK, just to let you know I'm starting a new project-bike following this great documentation, and will be sharing it's evolution here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1054034

My bike is also a BMW R100 RT but from 1980, with same brownish color scheme. Will be posting photos soon!
  3. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PROJECT-S is due for some routine service and some upgrades.

It's been two years (can you believe it) since PROJECT-S hit the road.

For the most part, PROJECT-S has been flawless... after sorting out some initial teething issues. :ricky

Here's what I plan to address:
    - oil change
    - brake fluid change
    - wheel bearings grease
    - lub rear wheel drive splines
    - spark plugs
    - valve adjust
    - valve cover gasket (left side leaking, a little)
    - replace o-ring on ignition points bean can
    - ignition points inspect/adjust
    - upgrade center stand bolts/nuts http://boxermetal.com/860-2/#!/Centerstand-Repair-Kit/p/32521363
    - headlamp lens cleaning (fogged on the inside)
    - clock & volt meter install

Will try and post some documentation here on some of the more interesting tasks. Stay tuned... :lurk

TINK
  4. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    Tink,

With regards to the headlight
    I've heard but not tried it that if you heat up the lens, the glue holding the halves together will loosen enough you can split them, making cleaning the inside of the lens a cake walk over the rag on the end of the stick, schtick.

I know where there is a toaster oven that might be perfect for just such a job...
  5. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Squish, no glue involved, just a fiddly gasket.
    Tink, might not be a bad time to replace that old gasket anyway. Part # 63 12 1 356 403 $11.84 from Max BMW
    Take a pic of the spring clips that hold the headlight together in the trim ring. I've had more than one customer come in with the pieces not being able to remember what it looked like before he took it apart.

P.S. Squish lowered the price on the CB and added stainless brake and clutch lines....
  6. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the gasket already, just waiting for the motivation. Need to pull the S fairing, etc, to get to the headlamp. It's one of those if it's not broken why fix it scenarios.
  7. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's been a while since I've updated the PROJECT-S thread, but what's to write about... bike is running strong, just put gas in her and go...

Oh, wait a minute, I did finally fix my stripped out center stand pivot bolts with the boxermetal.com kit today > http://boxermetal.com/860-2/#!/Centerstand-Repair-Kit/p/32521363
    Slick setup, easy to install, stand is better than it's ever been and should not work loose any time soon.
  8. Mikeyork5

Mikeyork5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tink - Heading out Sat on the Harley for a 3 week trip back to Michigan with Karen. When I return I'll give you a call. I want to re-grease the wheel bearings on my bike too, I've bought the grease fitting for the bearings so if you want to get together to do both our bikes I will bring the fitting along.
  9. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Once again I am amazed that my local BMW dealer, Irv Seaver, had two part I needed "in stock" for my 36 year old R100RT.

To fix the center stand pivot bolts, I had to remove the exhaust pipes.
    The two clamps that bolt to the frame supporting the pipes were twisted and never really fit correctly.
    So I decided now would be a good time to replace both claps.
    Made the trip over to Irv Seaver to order the clamps, that is assuming they were still available, and what do you know, they had both of them in stock.

I've said it before, you've got to admire BMW for their continual support of their older products.

TINK
    squish likes this.
  10. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, I get the center stand all fixed, upgrade the exhaust brackets, buttoned everything up, all done, ready for a ride... NOT SO FAST...

I've been dealing with a bad float in the left carb ever since I put PROJECT-S on the road. "Usually" it will overflow momentarily from time-to-time, "usually" after sitting for a while. I "usually" just turn off the petcock and wait a few minutes, then turn the petcock back on and she "usually" fixes herself. I know I've been neglecting the problem in hopes that it will some days fix it's self for good.

But NOOOOOO; today my luck ran out. Turn on the petcock and the left carb just pisses out gas everywhere.

So it's off to Irv Seaver for some parts, and yes, your guessed it, they had everything in stock.

New floats and needles and she's all better now.

TINK
  11. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Time to drop some cash and upgrade my header pipes to KEIHAN STAINLESS STEEL HEADER SET (1970-1980). Went ahead and ordered a set from Bob's BMW today.
    The original header pipes are fully functional, but not a thing of beauty.
    The original chrome is long gone. I wire brushed them when I did the original restoration, which worked for a while, but, they still look old and faded.
    Big fan of stainless steel exhaust, and I've heard really good things about the Keihan products.
    Of course I'll post some photos as soon as I get them installed... stay tuned.
  13. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got the Keihan Stainless Steel header pipes I ordered from Bob's BMW for PROJECT-S today. Trust me when I say the pictures do not do them justice. Stunning. Can't wait to put them on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    chrisshropshire likes this.
  14. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WnRn and CafeDude like this.
  15. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have my film processed and put onto a CD by Pro Photo Connection > http://stores.prophotoirvine.com/
  16. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got the Stainless Steel exhaust installed on PROJECT-S today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Replaced the (YUCK!) square foot peg rubbers with the earlier round foot peg rubbers.
    [​IMG]
    squish and chrisshropshire like this.
  18. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    Lookin' sharp Tink
  19. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally got around to installing the clock and volt meter from the R100RT fairing into the R100S fairing. And yes, the clock does keep accurate time.

[​IMG]
  20. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Disassembled the headlamp on my R100S to clean the back of the glass lens which had fogged up after 37 years. Was easier than I had feared. Yes, Irv Seaver BMW had a new gasket in stock.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]