PA day tripping... let's see where you went!

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by NurseBill, May 20, 2018.

1. NurseBill

NurseBill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20180520_161458.jpg 20180520_161515.jpg 20180520_163307.jpg 20180520_163335.jpg Let's see your PA day trips. Give me and others something to go and try and see. Please put locations.

I had this post in BEST Roads but it kind of doesn't fit there.

Spent today street riding with some dirt roads. Ran a bunch of 522, 16, 456, ended up in Maryland a little. Rode a bit of 30 from McConnellsburg to Bedford for no real reason and headed home through Altoona. Saw James Buchanan's childhood home and his birthplace state park near Mercersburg PA. And some out of the way civil war graves and basically had a good day.
  2. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    Civil war graves and bivouac locations in Mc Connellsburg PA. The graves are on Rt 16 and the bivouac site is on 522 South. 20180520_164459.jpg 20180520_164508.jpg 20180520_165016.jpg
    DirtMedic, Tall Man, SherpaT and 3 others like this.
  3. tootallpines

tootallpines Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Swamped the XR: IMG_6478.jpg

Took my first solo ride outside of philly after the rain on Sunday. I've been eyeing up some trails on google earth and decided to explore. It was a great find...a few other riders out there, some duals, some quads. Everyone was chill and happy...and said cops rarely show up.
    Took a little spin, quickly realized my street tires were no match for the mud and decided to head out. Right before the trail out was a little patch of water, thought I would cruise right through....wrong.
    My XR sunk in about 2 feet and I couldn't get a foot down to stop myself from going over. Totally swamped the pig. Got it up right, stupidly tried to start it right away, water coming out of everywhere. Kept it upright and eventually got myself out of the puddle....super slick mud. I let the pig drain, I couldn't flip it or tip it, as it was too heavy and muddy. Just had to let it drain. Took a shirt and wiped out the air box, wrung out the filter. Turned off petcock.......and just waited....it was so hard...I tried starting a few times. Luckily the electronics were working. After about 20 minutes, which felt like 2 hours, the water stopped dripping out of the air box hose. Still wouldn't turn over....this is when the dread set in....
    I'm 50 minutes from home, solo, way back in the woods with a dead bike and all my other biker friends out of tow. It's approaching dark with 10% battery on my phone (so many stupid mistakes this day). The last thing I wanted to do was call my wife to come get me.
    After a "calm down" I gave it one last go. SUCCESS! With a glorious blow of some white smoke, which eventually faded, the old beast fired back up. Road it back in to philly with, what seemed like, normal functionality.
    Now it's time to dig in and clean her up. Oil flush and filter, probably drain gas, new air filter, and grease it.
    I think I'm in good shape with the bike but only time will tell. I got extremely lucky this weekend and also learned a lot of lessons. It's all fun and games until your sunk in a pseudo homeless encampment outside of philly. Stay safe and smart out there friends. And play with buddies.
  4. Tammy

Tammy Team 2nd Wind

Oddometer:
    Your going to do it again only next time your going to say been here done this before I got this... Some of our worst rides make up our best memories..
  5. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do a loop from Fivepointville via Maple Grove rd, Alleghenyville rd to Plowville then on Plow rd, Rock Hollow rd, right onto Hay Creek rd to Elverson rd to 23 then 345 north. Right onto Giegertown rd to Hay Creek rd to complete the French Crrek loop. Then double back the same way I came out.
    Doug Just Doug and NurseBill like this.
  6. Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg Long timer

Oddometer:

Great story! Thanks for sharing it.

Where were you riding?
    There are not many places that close to Philly except for the Pine Barrens and the Poconos.

I flatted 3x in a PB500 Rallye about 7 or 8 years ago. I got the first two fixed and then was out of tubes and out of hope. After one of the last riders passed, I sat by the bike for about 2 hours and it started getting dark. There was NO cell service and I was not going to abandon my bike in the woods. One of the riders that had passed said they would send a rescue truck but that did not happen.

As it got dark, I dug a hole in the sand, built a firepit, gathered some wood and lit a fire. About an hour after dark a truck pulled up with a trailer and rescued me. The other sweep truck had gotten stuck in the mud on their way to get me out and messages between the other rescue vehicles got mixed up. I was ready to spend the night and try to push my bike out in the morning. It is funny how close you can be to civilization but so far it........

Luckily I teach survival skills - the fire was easy to make, but it might have been a bit uncomfortable sleeping out for the night!

Here is a selfie taken at the scene - so they could identify my remains - ha ha.
    IMG_4040~-X5.jpg
    WindBlast, Gundy, stbob and 5 others like this.
  7. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    I had a couple recent day trips through the Bald Eagle State Forest. One was solo on Memorial day and one with 3 guys on GS1200's . Just a few highlights. It's a great place to Dual Sport. Located in Mifflin, Centre, Snyder and Union counties.

Memorial Day
    20180602_133419.jpg
    cdrop.jpg towertrail.jpg
    PA Dewayne and Sno Dawg like this.
  8. Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great pictures!
    NurseBill likes this.
  9. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My other after work loop is west out Denver on Mountain Rd, hook a left on Pinch then the next right. This will dump you at Elizabethtown Rd. Take this to Colebrook then north to 322. A quick right then left onto 937 (i think) to Ft Indiantown Gap. Left at the railcar then right onto 443. Follow that all the way to across 81 and hook a right onto 645 and down to Myerstown.
    PlainClothesHippy likes this.
  10. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    Were you at Touratech last year? I rode with a guy who had an HP2.
  11. Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep - I was riding the HP2 with the black rims at that rallye and have only ridden out in that north central PA area a couple of times. It is a really amazing part of the state. I did the Touratech rallye all three years and was a sweep rider the first two years. Sad that it is not happening this year.

Sno Dawg - Jeff
    pic of my camp at the TT rallye last year
    2017082018281931-FullSizeRender.jpg
    PA Dewayne and NurseBill like this.
  12. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    I don't remember if you rode with me or not. I think I rode 6 the one day it poured like a B and 7 the next or vise versa. Kind of pointless to do any of the other rides on my bike. Someone poked a hole in a valve cover day 2 and day 1 a guy on a KLR punched a hole in the gas tank with a dead tree. Good times.

Not real happy they aren't having it this year either. I mean I live like 20 -30 minutes from the start site and I can ride the stuff any time I can but it's kind of cool to ride with a ton of folks from all over.
  13. OrganicPanic

OrganicPanic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know of any good swimming holes for a day trip from Philly?
  14. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    For you or the bike?

For you French Creek or Mt. Gretna. Not sure what the cost is for them.

For the bike I have no idea.
  15. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Here's one of my local, go-to rides. 70 miles of mind clearing fun.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Sno Dawg and NurseBill like this.
  16. Denny Mann

Denny Mann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We rode a 136 mile loop on Saturday in Fulton and Bedford Counties.

Bob's DS Route Map.jpeg

We started and finished on US 30 at the Sidling Hill Picnic Area.

20180616_094024.jpg

We ate a late lunch at the Road Kill Cafe and dropped down into Maryland for high test fuel. The worked our way back to US 30.
    NurseBill likes this.
  17. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    @Denny Mann
    Do you have a .GPX for that ride? Looks like a good one!
  18. OrganicPanic

OrganicPanic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
    I think French Creek is where I'm headed.
    The swim is for me.
    The bike gets a ride in the rain as circumstances allow.
  19. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    Right now I'm sitting in Wellsboro pa. Got here by way of lake Erie and route 6. Started in my home town of Mt Union pa. So far....

20180617_152429.jpg

20180617_154616.jpg 20180617_104734.jpg 20180617_134811.jpg
    20180617_152429.jpg
    wmfleet2 and tjzondrz like this.
  20. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    20180617_142252.jpg