PA to Ca in November-December, 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by FJRSPORT, Sep 27, 2019.

1. FJRSPORT

FJRSPORT 2WheelTraveler

Oddometer:
    Finally taking time for a 2-3 week road trip...albiet in November - December.

I ride year-round in PA as it is, and have the gear to stay warm and dry. Planning a more southern route to CA (VA, NC, GA, AL, MS, LA, TX, NM, AZ then CA) with the destination of my home town in Fresno, CA.

Planning an IB (Iron Butt) style 3-4 day trip out, but not tied to a set date. Though I'm planning to tent my way through, I'm finding many state camp-sites close in November. Any suggestions? Camp Site Pre-req include a hot shower and flush toilets...ya, I know, I'm getting old. lol

Appreciate your feedback.
  2. slammer218

slammer218 Slammer

Oddometer:
    Try checking tent space on this site. I have used it several time and the people were all great, they all have the same thing in common, motorcycles and travel..
    HeadShrinker and FJRSPORT like this.
  3. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you want to avoid slabs I had a pleasant ride on the Seneca Scenic Hwy thru WV, picked up the Blue Ridge Pkwy; you could take that down towards the Dragon and check it out on your way west. Would probably ruin your 3-4 day target but would be a pleasant ride. BRP in Nov-Dec usually not too bad.
    Otherwise - hug the Gulf coast.
    FJRSPORT likes this.
  4. FJRSPORT

FJRSPORT 2WheelTraveler

Oddometer:
    slammer218 - Thank you! I was unaware of Tent Space.

rPawsHacienda - I'm hoping to stay off the slab for some of it, but with deadlines too and from, Slabbing may be the main course.
  5. Anby

Anby n00b

Oddometer:
    Last year I drove from Maryland to California during the second and third week of November. I avoided taking the interstate, for the most part, until I crossed Arkansas. My car had a full set of camping gears which I used extensively for camping in WV in Oct/Nov. I had to drive through a major snowstorm that caused tons of accidents in the Texas panhandle area. I did not drive though the southern parts of NM and AZ, which escaped the snowstorm, but the areas North of I40 in those states were very very cold. Motels were generally $40/night, and you should consider them as a backup. Just my 2 cents.
  6. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    In southern Appalachia most of the developed campgrounds close after Halloween. Theres still some dispersed camping available on NF land. But that doesnt meet your requirements. Get down closer to I10 / US 98 corridor and you should be able to find KOA’s and the like open, but likely full of snowbirds and Canadians.
    FJRSPORT likes this.
  7. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    “” Pre-req include a hot shower and flush toilets...“”
    Really , if you are going to ride across at that rate
    in early winter when the hours of darkness are longer than the hours of daylight I’d say scrape together the funds and sleep in the budget motels for those 3 or 4 nights .
    Will it be that much fun to seek out the ( few) open camping places and set up and break down the tent in the cold and darkness , possibly cold and wet darkness with deer and other animals near or on the roads?
    Camp in a cheaper motel and you WILL have a hot shower and a terlet at you disposal at any moment . You could wake up and be on the road minutes later to collect your IB - style bragging points , make better time and sleep better too for your health and safety .
    A KOA will likely cost more than a budget hotel or the difference in cost is not worth arguing about , -hotels come out ahead .
    Save the marathon rides and camping for the warm season with long days
    DyrWolf, holckster, Glenn247 and 2 others like this.
  8. FJRSPORT

FJRSPORT 2WheelTraveler

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback.

Think aloud....

As time draws closer I'm leaning towards taking six days to get out (will consider cheap motel as Sjoerd Bakker suggested) on an as-needed basis.

Super-slabbing a more southern route from PA to CA I'm expecting about 3,000 miles. At six days of riding, I should expect 500 miles a day. At an average pace of 60MPH (Optimistic), I should expect approx. 8.5 hours of daily riding; and adding 2.5 hours for gas & food stops, traffic, and the like, I can expect 12 hours on the road each day. Leaving by 7 AM, I should expect to pitch tent/motel by 7 PM each evening. The goal is to make my destination by 11/15. Realistically speaking, it appears I'll want to leave by Saturday, Nov. 9th if I want to camp.

My return trip from CA will be a 3-4 day trip to Wilmington NC for thanksgiving with inlaws, and will definitely motel my way back to Wilmington.
    CA to NC - 2788-ish miles at four days that's 700 miles a day; and at three days of travel time, I'm knocking on the door of 950 miles each day. Hmmm? Maybe piggyback a Saddle Sore and a Bun Burner? Unsure if I'm ready for a Bun Burner Gold and a Saddle Sore back to back.

Thank you again for the feedback. It has positively shaped my plan.

Rick
    DyrWolf likes this.
  9. holckster

holckster dougholck Supporter

Oddometer: