Pacific Northwest with an Italian Supermodel

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AntiHero, Sep 10, 2013.

1. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    It's a recent update to the app, and I've since discovered some great roads right in my own backyard (you wouldn't easily find them on a map, as most highlight the new route the traffic takes) There is also Winding roads Medium and Minimum.. which can actually be handy if you want a more direct, but still somewhat winding route :wink:
  2. Trane Francks

Trane Francks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn. That's seriously impressive.
  3. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sure brought back memories. I used to work for a big Bay Area company myself and one day soon after I'd started, one of the top engineers was complaining that the company had changed his phone number several times and he was getting sick of crossing out his old phone number on his business cards and writing in the current one. He felt that it gave customers a bad impression of us. Also he couldn't figure out why they gave him 500 cards to start with since he only used maybe a dozen a year. So he went to the dept admin folks and asked if he could get fresh cards with the correct phone number. They told him he couldn't, not until he'd used up his present set. So he asked "how come you order 500 cards? That's a lifetime supply." And they told him that they got a big discount for ordering 500 cards that made it as cheap as getting 50 cards. Makes perfect sense, right? Order a ginormous batch of business cards that will soon have incorrect info on them, forcing people to write the correct info on the back (oh, yeah they kept rearranging our departments every 6 months or so, too). Our man outfoxed them though...he simply went around our group and gave us each about 75 cards and, like magic, it was time to order him fresh cards. The good thing was that he made enough noise about it that they changed this idiotic policy. The bad thing was that they then made it impossible for anyone who didn't already have business cards to order them! F'ing brilliant! Thanks, AH for reminding me of yet another reason to ride!!!!
  4. Squidbrah

Squidbrah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AH and any others who are familiar with bike backpacks:

Which Kriega model would you recommend? Is there anything out there that's better?
  5. Jayc_72

Jayc_72 n00b

Oddometer:
    Dennis you are an inspiration. After reading your previous ride report you planted a seed which took hold and grew like a weed. Get the bike you love, take an adventure. Adventure is all about getting out of your comfort zone, so the scale is very personal. Thanks!

The other bit of inspiration came from this latest ride report ... Peanut butter, jam, jalapeños and bacon. God damn!

Look forward to your adventures, how does one buy an Anti-Hero sticker?

Jay
  6. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    Back in 2012 when I started reading your Coast to Coast RR I soon realized that I had stumbled across an adventure out of the ordinary.

Your story is suggestive and captivating, your narrative style is outstanding and I love your pictures.

It has been a real pleasure to tack along for the ride - both the physical and the mental one.

Bring on the RTW sequel - I'm in :clap
  7. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, hard to type. Sliced off the top of my knuckle on a piece of sheetmetal, so my right index finger is splinted with two pieces of a chopstick and duct tape, so this will have to be brief.

Don T & Jayc: Thank you. I'll do my best to keep it coming.

Squidbrah:
    Kriega backpack: R30
    Plusses:
    Even when weighing in at 40-50 lbs it feels like nothin' on your back. Very, very good design.
    Main compartment is mostly waterproof.
    Very comfortable.

Minuses:
    Adjustment straps are like knot-puzzles.
    Outer shell/straps are like a sponge in the rain.
    Outer pockets are not waterproof and should at least have holes in the bottom so water can drain out when it does get saturated.
    Buckling the chest buckles makes the shoulder straps so secure that a side impact would probably break your neck.
    One main pocket and two minor ones makes organizing tough.

In short, it's supremely comfy, but not modular.

I'm looking into other options. If the Kriega is the best out there, then that's what I'm going with. It's not an ideal backpack to be living out of. Maybe none exists, but I'm going to try.

Blader: Two words: Office Space!

Trane: Thank you!

7 Days: That rear bag setup looks insane!
  8. Trane Francks

Oddometer:
    Shit, man. Heal quickly and completely!
  9. NoSoup4U

NoSoup4U Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Get well soon AntiHero!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
  10. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    I hope that you get well soon - hands that works are an advantage both for riding and writing (and most other things).

I've been using a Kriega R25 for 5 years now, and I agree on the pros and cons you described.

The harness is brilliant and above everything else for motorcycle riding!
    Besides that I will add that the bags are very durable in every aspect and extremely strong. I've been using mine primarily for offroad and enduro riding. It has been involved in numerous crashes but still look (besides all the mud/dust) and function as new.

A better layout of the pockets and some kind of organizer in the main compartment would really improve the utility of the bags.
  11. fredgilb

fredgilb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I looked at all the kriega's. I settled on a R25. It's the only one that (barely at that) swallows a helmet. All the other ones have openings that are just shy of big enough. Also, it's plenty big and I wouldn't want more bulk than that hanging off me when full. Hope that helps.
    [​IMG]
  12. fredgilb

fredgilb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Denis,
    So you're out for more.....lots more! Ha, oh man you are in for a treat. I always wanted to go to the TT. Plan ahead for that one. Just getting a spot on the ferry can be tricky. Luggage. It's key..........Personally I always like to keep the backpack as light as possible. It's a bit much on the physically challenging roads. Also heavy backpacks are really a hindrance to nimbleness (read embarrassing!) in traffic. Side bags are great but they suck for lane spitting. Everyone in euro seems to go for those big ugly (but lockable) tail cases for that reason.
    Good luck. Maybe we'll run into each other. Moto Tour is end of September.
    Bon Voyage!
  13. manban9888

manban9888 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Holy crap AH you're really gonna do it. Sorry I haven't checked in in awhile but I've got some news of my own so I'll call you in the next couple days. I truly hope you have the ride of a lifetime and experience the absolute best this world has to offer. I'll be following and cheering you on brother.
  14. Squidbrah

Squidbrah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the review AH and Fred.

The R25 looks a little small for what I want to do. Looks like it's the R30 for me.

Why does this hobby have to be so expensive.
  15. rico2072

rico2072 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear, heal up soon.
  16. Direktor

Direktor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lots of nice pics. Here is me and my bike with lagguage for 4 days in Apls :D

[​IMG]
  17. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    fredgilb: Whatever you're doing on that Hyper looks like a hell of a lot of fun. I also plan on heading to the Isle of Man early...like a week early, so I don't think I should have a problem with getting there (I hope not).

Direktor: Cannot wait to ride the alps!!!! (And get to Croatia)

And yep, I'm doing it. It's really starting to finally hit me....
  18. Bandaids

Bandaids Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dear Mr Anti hero.
    Firstly been a lurker read your post, it kicks ass. Have one a fair bit of traveling on my last sport bike, had an R1. road it practically around OZ.
    In regards to the TT. I went with a bunch of older experienced blokes a couple of years ago. it was heaven. seriously it is everything you think it will be and then some.

I am going again next year, why not this year , because it could be to late.

I realise this sounds crazy & Im not trying to be negative as I very much appreciate your adventure.
    Generally speaking the ferry tx & camping goes on sale the first week after the TT finishes and is normally sold out.So most people book there next event a year in advance. i will be booking mine about the 7th of june this year for 2015. both ferry & camping tx.
    If your still keen we met people who caught the ferry to Ireland so they could then catch the ferry to The Isle of Mann as the London ferry was sold outand there is a waiting list but I saw lots of people walk on and off -no bike -gutted, getting off again after the race is not the drama if you dont mind waiting a day. I have camp ground info where we stayed & it was great , depends if you want to party all night , We didnt . food was good showers were hot & it rained alot.
    take care mate
    Your writing makes me get out and ride more, I find myself going out for a coffee & ending up hours away
    cheers
  19. Trane Francks

Oddometer:
    These are important lifetime moments. One of my favourite memories took place in my early 20s when I realized that I desperately needed to buy some new socks. I hopped on my bike (a super-pedestrian 1976 Yamaha XS360C) and rode into town. And then kept going. And going. And, finally, 200km later, pulled into a random store to buy my socks. I had lunch. And then had the most amazing, meandering journey back home.

Random, spontaneous rides such as that can wind up being defining moments in life.
  20. desmodab

desmodab Oversized Canuck

Oddometer:
    I need to learn to do that. I find the opposite - I have some weird subconscious fear and find myself coming home early most times. I have done many longer trips, but always with a friend or two (or more), never alone. I LOVE being on my multi but find it hard to "lose" myself and stray too far, especially solo. I think it has some foundation in being the third of four kids and always having somebody around, thus never being alone in my formative years.

I am riding from Victoria where I now live to San Francisco solo in a couple of weeks. It'll only be 4-5 days each way, depending on route, but I hope to start to take longer, solo jaunts to get to where you guys are. I'll never be at Anti's level, but would like to conquer this fear and go on longer trips on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk