Pads, pads, pads..

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Wild45, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Wild45

Wild45 n00b

Oddometer:
    Do I need to get a summer jacket and winter jacket with pads? Or can I just get a padded mesh jacket and wear different outer shells according to the weather? Any ideas and input from people who have done both?
  2. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

I am a believer in speciality gear.

That said

A lot depends on how much and how intense of winter riding you plan on doing.

I belive that with a mesh jacket ..... if you add a heated liner and a good wind/waterproof shell you can come close to duplicating the performance of a true winter set up.

It seems to me that many jackets today come with pads. So you may not need to switch pads between summer and winter jackets.

A pure winter jacket with a heated layer, is a great way to go. Your may get a better fit and movement as you have one less layer in this system vs mesh system.

Good luck

Scott
  3. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I'm a multi jacket guy. Mesh, regular cordura, and a 3/4 First gear kilimanjaro.

Depending on season, duration of ride, trip etc.
    kantuckid likes this.
  4. applicant_255

applicant_255 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For mostly on-road or local stuff, the protective gear saves you from a one off accident, if you crash, you limp home and lick your wounds.

For longer trips, you might not have the option, so you want that outer shell to survive a medium accident that puts you down but doesn’t take you or the bike out.

You could maybe use duct tape to do an in situ repair until you get to the next town where you can get a new rain jacket or cold weather gear. Summer protective gloves under regular winter gloves work until they get shredded. Rain jacket with a hole will soak you through. Frostbite or just being drenched for an hour can really ruin a multiday trip, and make you wish you spent an extra 3-500 on a more durable outer shell instead of having to buy whatever’s available in the next town, or a couple hundred on a hotel room and burning a day trying to get warm and dry again.

For off road stuff, you end up falling off at low speed, and it tends to rip up an outer shell, or even getting wacked by bushes on an overgrown trail. Even the range of motion you use without scraping or hitting anything will tear a normal outdoor jacket apart at the seams. Sticking a leg way out and and tearing a hole in the crotch of a normal rain suit will result in water pooling in just the wrong spot on a rainy day.

The fit of protective gear, pads especially, is quite important, the outer shell stuff that fits well in winter will be loose in summer, so I have separate gear for each season, but if you need to cheap out;

Get some seperate pads first and a cheap jacket with it’s own pads, so you can have the inner dedicated pads in summer attached properly, and go with just pads offroad, donning the jacket when you need to, or open it or take it off and cool off but still have pads.

For winter use the jacket pads so you don’t have to deal with the hassle of individual pads.

After a year or two you’ll probably wear out the cheap jacket/pants adm can slowly replace with pricier gear or secondhand gear you see others selling on the forum or at yearend sales.
  5. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A long time ago, I started with a semi-mesh jacket. It had a weatherproof liner that when utilized alongside a good heated liner, I was good to ride down into the mid-30 temps for a period of time. Of course the summer fall and spring rides were covered as well.

I eventually bought and resold up via deals on here and eBay. After @5yrs I had worked my way into the $800 jackets from the $150 jackets. Albeit I was lucky via buy low and sell high.

It truly depends on how many miles you ride a year. There are some very good deals here on Fieldsheer, Joe Rocket, Olympia, etc for gear. Considering that I crash tested an Olympia set in a triple digit incident with no abrasions to me, most of the gear is adequate for normal riding situations.
  6. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    They come with pads and made/shaped for that jacket or pants.
    Much depends on the weather, locale, MC storage space to layer switch with variables and/or your budget.
    A good mesh with a rain jkt could work in CA most places and times? If you range out then get a 3 season setup?
  7. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    I see you're in CA. If I was in CA I'd buy a mesh jacket with a good liner. I have a coat, Kilmanjaro Air, that I wear in the summer without the liner, but with the liner I can ride with it into the 40s no problem. Once coat can do it all for a climate like much of CA. In Ohio it covers three seasons, a serious non-vented warm coat is needed when going into the 30s, along with layering or heated gear.
  8. Aircooled6racer

Aircooled6racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a Olympia Troy jacket and really like the setup. Open the vents with no liners when it's 90 degrees and close the vents and use a base layer and a mid layer when it's 40 degrees. I don't use the liners that it came with so far but I would use the rain liner on the outside if needed. I can open one side of the front vents if it gets to warm in the colder weather. I like the side straps to make sure the jacket stays close to the body and won't move if I do take a dirt nap. i also have an old mesh jacket I have used when it has been very hot and also down to about 60 degrees using mid layer. lastly I like the look of the jacket over the snow suit looking ones.
  9. Wild45

Wild45 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you for all the ideas and input. I already have an alpine star summer jacket, so I think I'll just pick up a winter riding jacket and be set!
  10. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look at some of the Olympia Transitions gear,large zip open panels for warm weather,can be fully zipped closed for the cold.
    Newer versions come with waterproof liner that can be worn under or over the main jacket.

JR356