Paint Blistering on the engine block!!!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by murpies, Jun 10, 2013.

1. murpies

murpies Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Hey! Watch this... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow! Nope, first for me. Where at? Any chance it had something splashed on it??
  3. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    noticed the same thing when I opened my clutch. Didn't bother me then, doesn't bother me now.
  4. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    For some reason I can't see the pic. Will have to give someone else my two cents.
  5. murpies

murpies Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ya dont know why can't post the image . But I had added in the link.
  6. murpies

murpies Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is it like the pimples on the engine block? (Above link)

MoodyBlues ___ Wow! Nope, first for me. Where at? Any chance it had something splashed on it??

Nope , I only use normal car wash to clean my bike.
  7. Loutre

Oddometer:
    can't see anything. Why don't you send me the pics via mail and I repost them?
  8. murpies

murpies Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can I have your email cos I can't see it on the site .thanks
  9. Loutre

Oddometer:
    pm sent
  10. Reaver

Oddometer:
    OK, got it. In my semi-experienced opinion, that is porosity. Metal like an Aero bar. The trapped air in the metal expands with heat and bubbles the paint. I didn't see what bike you had and warranty info. I've seen an R1200GS start leaking oil from the middle of the block when these "bubbles" connected the dots and allowed oil to escape. I kept looking at gaskets etc then a "HEY" moment as I realized where it was coming from. BMW wanted to change the crankcase but I applied an aviation device called a "Lee Plug". Bike was fine after that but it was an isolated location. Yours looks like a teenagers face at puberty.

I don't know if that would get warranty or not if it's not leaking but I would certainly argue it fully. If the Dealer says it's not a problem then say Fine and trade it in. I don't see that ever adding to it's value. :1drink
  11. Reaver

Oddometer:
  12. Loutre

Oddometer:
    ah ok now I see the bubbles on flickr, dear is that thing complicated:

[​IMG]

So to answer you:

My paint blistered at the clutch side where the 15ish little screws are.
  13. Loutre

Oddometer:
  14. murpies

murpies Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ye, so far it happen after the change of the engine gasket when the engine oil leak appeared . So far no oil stain mark on it but getting more blistering. The bike is running fine so far. Well , will pay a visit to my local dealer . Thanks
  15. murpies

murpies Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Mine is at left side engine block. It near to clutch side too.??
  16. Loutre

Oddometer:
    My paint came off right where the little bolts are on the clutch side. Not as high. I ripped all that came off off and never had a problem with it spreading.
  17. murpies

murpies Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just make another check and the left side is spreading downwards and on the right side had started to form a few .
  18. murpies

murpies Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just email my local BMW dealer and was told to arrange a day down to them for taking a few photos of the engine paint blistering and send to Germany BMW for further instruction. I'm very pls for the help and respond from my local agent. But to BMW it quality control of the paint on the engine block is disappointing .
    I had own 2 Japanese bikes before, a Yamaha fazer 600 & Honda but never experience this kind of paint blistering. They do have their own issue like the TPS (throttle position sensor) & rectifier battery problem . But to me BMW is a premier brand . To have a engine paint to be like that is disappointing. Hope they will do something in the near future.
  19. Loutre

Oddometer:
    Oh comon there always some lemons. In my family we've owned all together over 10 BMW and never had a paint problem. My issue isn't as bad as yours and didn't spread. When I've time this week I'll take some pics to show you. The fact that this thread hasn't been discussed before means that this problem is one out of a thousand. If you go in the other sections of ADVriders you'll see all the problems the Jap' bikes have. I'm happy for you how it does turn out but my best friend owns a honda and his fuel tank paint blisteres as hell. In fact it's a well known issue that honda had in the prior years aswell as some Yamahas and Kawasakis. I have 2 magazines that are full of potential problems all brands mixed.
  20. murpies

murpies Been here awhile

Oddometer: