1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Paint job, about paints (no powder coating)

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Subutai, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Subutai

Subutai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a hard tail frame that was fabricated for me to go with my old panhead motors.

Called around and nobody seems to do powder coatings near my area and I'm not willing to gamble the frame to post, so good ol' wet paint it's going to be.

A very old machine shop that does just about everything wants to know how I want it to be done and they use industrial epoxy or urethane paints, as they do industrial coatings.

The frame is on bare steel so only the storage grease has to be washed off before painting. The color will be Ford black.

Does it really matter what type of coating I use? We use epoxy coatings at work all the time but they are marine coatings. There's also a kind of language barrier as some case urethane and epoxy are meant the same thing.

I don't want to do the frame again if I screw up this stage and I'm not planning on selling it either. The bike will be ridden so I would like the paint to be durable also. The sheet metal parts are not that important as the frame is a PITA to do again and it's not like I'm going to get another one.

On a note the parts going to the bike will all be old, self made or refurbished save for bearings and such.
  2. rokytnji

rokytnji Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amphib likes this.
  3. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I used to paint wheel loaders for kawasaki.

135zv-2fe658646b53b607db145ff0000d24f4b.jpg

We switched from epoxy to urethane because it's more uv tolerant and more scratch/chip resistant. The epoxy would get chalky from the sun, it's also harder, so rock chips would go straight to the metal.

I personally would choose urethane.... (2 part)
    Mista Vern, chris a and 9Realms like this.
  4. haggzcycle

haggzcycle n00b

Oddometer:
    PPG polyurethane Essentials is the trade name. Two part system. nice gloss and tough as nails.
    Mista Vern likes this.
  5. Scrivens

Scrivens Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's better to avoid powdercoat on vintage frames as it is hard to repair chips or scrapes, near impossible to remove if you ever have to go back to bare metal and it doesn't have the same clarity and lustre as the old paint or enamel finishes. Modern urethanes are excellent, and as has been said above, don't have the downsides of epoxies.
    bmwrench likes this.
  6. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If that frame is new, you may want to bead-blast it to remove any scale, surface corrosion, and to improve adhesion.