Paint spokes AT?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by MeCasa the 2nd, Sep 24, 2018.

1. MeCasa the 2nd

MeCasa the 2nd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 16 and the spokes still look great (kept indoors and have bike for local use)

I hear about all these problems and I don't care to be involved....

Can I just paint these black with high grade paint?

MeCasa
  2. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    Pledge furniture polish. Clean them up real good and apply. Don't spray the rotors.
    neanderthal and Junglejeff1 like this.
  3. ex_MGB

ex_MGB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have yet to see a picture of what to me is actual corrosion, that is, the spoke steel itself oxidizing as in "rust". All I see is the sacrificial surface layer of the spoke coating slightly oxidizing to form a surface that protects the actual spoke.

Can anyone point to a spoke failure, as in loss of design strength, not necessarily catastrophic failure, due to corrosion and not failure due to not properly tensioning the spokes?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    roktbox and Mudslingr like this.
  4. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have seen spoke failure happen through rust but it's usually been rust down at the nipple. Not on an AT, this was bikes that did a lot of water crossings. Painting won't help there anyway.
  5. dgp

dgp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really don’t think that is the point. Honda need to produce a product that remains aesthetically pleasing as well as maintaining its mechanical integrity.
    I don’t think any of us would be pleased having our cylinder heads corroding, even if they were still operational.
  6. PhaseShifter

PhaseShifter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    also the 2nd set of wheels in my AT-'16 are rusty.....