Palenque to Tikal via moto; possible?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by srileo, Jan 10, 2009.

1. thedomwayround

thedomwayround on the road

Oddometer:
    Sorry if my directions ar confusing. As far as i cna rememerb there's only really one way to get from Palenque to the border. Leave Palenque heading north, then about 2 miles out of town turn right following the signs for La Liberdad.

Hope it all helps.

(Incidentally, I've just corssed the border today from Guatemala to Honduras at Copan. It was EASY. Took less than an hour ABSOLUTELY NO corruption and we were the only tourists. Very very very easy.)
  2. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info so far. Dom, you used the word "title" in describing what was needed at the GT border crossing; I am assuming that you meant to say "registration", is this correct? Please make this clear for all.
    As to fuel-one will need to go 150k from the Pemex to the next fill in GT,correct?
  3. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    The excellent new road from El Ceibo east is only 17km long before you meat the existing older highway. From that junction it is a mere 12 km north to El Naranjo where there is a gasoline station and a number of inexpensive hotels . If from Tenosique,where there is lots of Pemex, to the border is only 60 km then it would be impossible to run out of gas unless one totally ignored all gas stations , and then one would deserve to suffer:rofl Even in El Ceibo ther e is barrel gas available if you are desperate, just ask.

From Palenque there are actually several other routes to El Ceibo.
    You could go NORTH on Mex 199 all the way ,about 30km , to Mex 186 then turn east to the junction of Mex 203 and ther turn southeast to Emiliano Zapata and from ther continue to Tenosique.
    Further northeast along Mex 186 you can turn east on thestate highway and either go through Balancan thence south to Mex 203 or carry on a bit more and turn south to Tenosique.etc to El Ceibo.
    Or from Palenque you could go south on Mex 199 then at the junction turn east onto Mex 307 to Chancala and at that town's junction turn North to the paved state highway across the river which will connect with Mex 203, the same highway from E..Zapata
    I have Done all these roads, excellent , quality, good scenery.
    If you had a paper map in front of you with some decent detail then all these features would have been obvious at a glance. I Bet the confusion and doubt is caused by an over reliance on electronic mapping which only gives a myopic picture of what is in front of the imaginary position where you plot yourself or where the bike is siganalled to be and then it tells te rider to "turn left,turn right,drive forward.... even if the road in front of you has just washed away :lol3
    EXPLORING is the name of the game
    Click on this icon and you can see a picture of that new highway ( I hope anyway, for some reason I am having an impossible struggle to get pictures to these posts from Pixcelgallery Somehow they changed stuff on me and I am lost!))
    xxx
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. thedomwayround

thedomwayround on the road

Oddometer:
    Kantuckid

I think the phrases "Title" and "registration" casue problems as UK/USA ect have different difinitions. They ask for the "Titular" and I give them the title I have which is proof that I own the bike.

Although you may be able to get gas all over the place all I saw were PEMEX in Tenosique and then on the main road to Flores about 20 mile short of Flores. Which was about 150 miles. You cna search around in other palces but if your just going on the mainr oad fill up in Tenosique and then you should make it to Flores.
  5. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Time for a small update on the El Ceibo crossing which I traversed about two weeks ago coming north.

The border gate and offices for both countries are open only between the hours of 9 am to 6 pm .
    The Guatemala side can now do both tourist cards and the temporary import paperwork from their trailer office.

The Mexican side has a big new building with large parking area as shown on the pictures others posted . Travellers going to Mexico should take the following into consideration. The Mexican El Ceibo office does NOT yet have a Banjercito office . They can indeed provide you with the TVIP but you will have to post the appropriate security deposit for your vehicle. That deposit depends on the age of your vehicle and at most it will be $400 US cash.
    Now here is the useful bit: If you do not have $400 US cash on you the attending official will permit you to pay an equivalent amount in pesos, or a make-up amount in pesos. He will then take that money to the bank in Tenosique next day , convert it to US dollars and bring it back to deposit it to your account name with Banjercito.
    I know this for a fact and the official is most helpful as he provided this service to me when I stupidly showed up with insufficient bucks. I think his name was Max and he appears to be the sole agent who works that job, commuting daily from Tenosique. He is totally on the level. He provided the proper TVIP sticker and documents and since it was nearly 4:30 he even permitted me to proceed to Tenosique for the night and a visit to a bank machine.Then next day I rode back to El Ceibo and he finished the processing and issued the TVIP
    When I left Mexico t Reynosa there was no delay in getting the money refund.
    The question remains however, why cannot the border simply be fitted with a terminal for accepting credit card payments even though Banjercito does not have a rep there ? All manner of small businesses have no problem with doing CC payments with a simple hookup. This would certainly be a secure method for Banjercito to get the funds without danger of corruption leaching it away .
  6. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sjoerd

Good to see you posting again. Question, why were you getting a TVIP on your way north, did you have to surrender it on the way south?
    Cal
  7. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    No I did not do much posting the last 9 weeks because I was on a - gasp- car (cage ) trip down to Panama and back acting as tour guide for an older sister. Had a great trip but did not spend much time in ciber cafes and I do not carry electronica, no wifi and stuff like that . Only now back at home base did I restart,( free computers at library y'know(:D cheep cheep, spring birdsong?) ) and that could be short spell as I intend to get on my V Strom and head right back to Mexico when a window of good weather presents itself in the coming week or so .

Indeed we did have to surrender our tourist cards and the TVIP upon leaving Mexico at Cd.Cuauhtemoc/La Mesilla.
    In some ealier years it was permitted that I retain these documents so that they could be utilized for the return trip within the 180 day valid terms. However they have modified the regulations gradually in steps in recent years and I also think that there is some confusion about the rules among the various border customs workers as to the interpretation.
    For instance the fellow who issued me the tourist cards at El Ceibo clearly and unmistikably explained that if we were to cross through Mexico to the USA border within 7 days then we would not need to pay the Tourist Tax for those Tourist Cards. However when cancelling the tourist cards at the Reynosa terminal the official upon seeing the entry stamp of El Ceibo got all excited and insisted that we pay up. He Explained that the 7 day free rule only applies if one were to enter from the US and return to the US form the Frontier Zone.
    He explained that by going from " a third country" to cross Mexico to the US we were to be classed as "transito" and the 7 day rule did not apply. If the entire trip had stayed in Mexico we would be listed as "turista".I kept arguing without effect that I was a "turista " every day of the trip from the day we set off all the way through CA and back.
    In either case , he said , the tourist card would have been issued for 180 days. Kind of silly really, but hey, they can make whatever rules they like, and it raises the income stream a bit for their side.Annoying though to have two servants of the same department with such divergent explanations.
    For the Tourist card payment they now issue a recipt covering only one quarter of an entire printer page- the waste! why not just a simple cash register slip print-off. And this was done at Reynosa at the end of the transit. On an earlier trip too I somehow did not pay for the TC at the start of a ride into Mexico and wound up similarly paying at the exit point when cancelling it and getting the exit stamp in the passport.

{PS : later addition here , May 2017 , to clarify things for anybody reading this thread for first time . The policy for TVIP has gradually been settled so that travellers leaving Mexico at the southern border with the intent of returning north to the USA within the remaining valid time on the TVIP are allowed to retain the TVIP but are required to cancel their FMM.
    In 2012 a new step was added where the tourist has to post a TVIP security bond of 200USD ,300USD or400USD depending on age of vehicle. This money is REFUNDED when the TVIP is cancelled
    Upon return northward they will have to buy a new FMM which is dated to terminate at same time as the TVIP. Then when crossing the north border back into the USA the TVIP should be cancelled and the deposit refund collected , and FMM should be cancelled also . }
    Of course if you are not travelling back north again within that time , or ever , then cancel both documents and get the refund for the deposit before leaving Mexico for Guatemala or Belize.
  8. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to hear that GR8ADV.
    THis is what I find so annoying about all these border workers who are supposed to be all working fro the same rule book- If one gets it in his bonnet to play it differently it gets complicated. I spent an hour wasting his time in Reynosa but he would not budge from his stance that I was "transito"
    . The good fellow at El Ceibo did explain to me that I didnot have needed to hand in my TVIP at Cd Cuauhtemoc, he said that there is the option of getting it " suspended" if one goes out of Mexico south with the intention of coming back later within the 180 days. Wonder why the Cd Cuauhtemoc office this time for me did not extend that courtesy when I clearly explained that I was comig back? Oh well.....
  9. alpiner84

alpiner84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey all,
    Didn't read the last page too thoroughly, but I wanted to verify the rumor that the El Ceibo border is closed Mondays. In fact, it's open every day off the week, EXCEPT THE MEXICO VEHICLE IMPORT/EXPORT DESK IS CLOSED MONDAYS. Everything else is fully operational, though.

[​IMG]
  10. El Mago

El Mago Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just took the El Ceibo crossing the day before yesterday (July 12, 2011)... The Banjercito (Mexico TVIP) office is still closed Mondays and does not have credit card capabilities - so if your coming in from Guatemala you'll need cash.

Model year deposit: 2000 and older = US$200
    2001 - 2006 = US$300
    2007 and newer = US$400

plus about US$45 for nonrefundable fees.

I left Palenque at 8:30 and arrived in El Remate (NE of Flores) at about 2:00. That's with almost two hours spent at the border - Leaving Mexico took about 20 minutes, but once in Guatemala things slowed down. You'll still need a tuk-tuk ride to get photocopies and the import desk guy chose to have a 20 minute telephone conversation while I waited in the middle of the process.

There's pavement the whole way, or you can choose to take a couple of dirt shortcuts, as I did...

From Palenque head South on Mex-199, take the turn off for Mex-307 (Carretera Fronteriza), about 10 miles after that turn off take a left heading ENE from the town of Jose Castillo Tielmans - a dirt road in great shape that will hook you up to the pavement to Tenosique in about 10 miles.

Once in Guatemala, about 8 minutes NE of La Libertad, there's a fork - straight NE for dirt and staright into Flores, or right (turning East) for San Francisco and then North to Flores on pavement.

There's plenty of gas in Palenque, Tenosique, La Libertad (Guat.), Flores, and many signs for it in the villages along the road.
  11. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why not just hang onto Mexico papers, go to GT, then re-enter like you never left? I have never mounted the Mexico sticker, just keep it to show and have never done that either...
  12. Willson

Willson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I left Mexico through the El Ceibo border crossing last January.
    Easy to find, paved all the way, all the services needed are on site.
    Only had problems getting my passport stamped to exit Mexico, the agent wanted some extra money I think (said I had to pay taxes if I stayed more than 7 days)... a 100 pesos solved the problem. I was still pissed off.
    Completely different when I entered Guatemala, the guys were super nice and helpful. I even chatted for 30 mins with the chief at the first military check-point and we exchanged e-mails.

Anyway, good border crossing and you can easily get from Pelenque to Tikal in a day.
  13. alpiner84

Oddometer:
    Which country was that deposit for?

For me:
    US -->Mexico (Calexico border): $36 to import the bike and $150 for 6 months insurance
    Mexico -->Guatemala (El Ceibo border): $13 to import, no insurance, ~$2 in copy fees
  14. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    The $200 to $400 is for the bond on the TVIP in Mexico.
  15. alpiner84

Oddometer:
    I'd completely forgotten about that by the time I left Mexico, and never checked to make sure they didn't charge my card. Whoops...
  16. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope that you remembered to cancel your TVIP upon leaving Mexico...
  17. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like Alpiner did NOT cancel the TVIP Which means he gave away the deposit they took off his credit card :cry
    .Maybe if there are still a few months of the 6 remaining on the TVIP it might pay for itself to take a long weekend run down to the nearest border crossing to cancel it and get your refund .But more important it should be cancelled to avoid any problems about illegal import of a bike next time Alpiner goes into Mexico ,
  18. alpiner84

Oddometer:
    Just checked my nasty ziplock bag of border paperwork from last year, and I DID cancel TVIP and my card was NOT charged, so you can stop crying ;-)
  19. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap for Alpiner
  20. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    If the GT officials do not require a Mex exit stamp, you righter than rain.
    This would be the way to go.
    In my experiences, this varies with the border officials.

If you really don't need to cancel a vehicle (and even tourist) permit, and will be returning to Mex within the given time, then try to do so.