Palenque to Tikal

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by hunyak1, Jan 27, 2014.

1. hunyak1

hunyak1 hunyak

Oddometer:
    Have gone from Palenque to Tikal several times, but always take long route,Belize or San Christobal. I understand there is a shorter route through El Tigre National park. Has anyone rode this route? Will be in Palenque next two days. Guidance would be appreciated. Thanks:clap
  2. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The direct route from Palenque to Tenosique - El Naranjo-Flores is all paved and much shorter ; it's a 6 h ride aprox.
    Misery Goat likes this.
  3. hunyak1

hunyak1 hunyak

Oddometer:
    The route does not show on my maps. Can you tell me the key towns I go through, or route. Thanks a lot. Glad to hear it is paved, I am two up this trip. :clap
  4. AndyT

AndyT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go east from Tenosique, towards La Palma (Las Palmas?). Before you get to La Palma, there is a well signed turn south. It think it either says El Ceibo or Guatemala, can't remember. Anyway turn south there, when I went through, there was a checkpoint staffed by local cops, not military, shortly after you turn south. Stay on the obvious main route, and it will take you to the border. The Banjercito at this crossing was closed one day a week, I think Monday, but don't quote me. A year ago the Banjercito had no credit card processing capability, may have changed by now.
  5. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    From Palenque, the popular river border crossing is at Frontera Corozal, and the newishland border crossing is El Ceibo.
    Neither of these routes run thru El Naranjo.
    There is another river crossing at Las Palmas, a ferry that goes directly to El Naranjo.

The river crossings might be centuries old. The land crossing at El Ceibo is also centuries old, but was not paved until the past few years. Before, it was a mud track, in the truest sense.

We need some reports of the Las Palmas-El Naranjo crossing.....:deal
    :D
  6. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    May have changed, but that's what I remember
  7. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are right, The El Ceibo crossing does not run thru El Naranjo , it passes 5 KM south of it . Here we call it (wrongly) the Naranjo crossing because it's a better known landmark then El Ceibo.

None of the river crossings has an Aduana on the Guatemalan side , so you can not get your TVIP . The only Migracion place along the river is in Bethel.
  8. Dr. Benny

Dr. Benny Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer:
    If you make the crossing, be sure to add it to www.borderhelper.com to help other riders in the future :deal
  9. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile

Oddometer:
  10. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:

Yes you can cross from Frontera Corozal to La Tecnica on the Guatemalan side. From there it is a 10 km ride to Bethel where a Migracion post is , but no Aduana to get your TVIP .
  11. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you know if you can you get the TVIP once you get to Flores?
  12. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    You can do the vehicle stuff at Melchor de Mencos, at the BZ border.

Flores is a fly-in place for Tikal tourists.

Isla Flores is a nice place to stay, and can be done cheaply.
  13. AndyT

AndyT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But then you would have to explain how come you are coming from the Guatemala side to the Guatemalan aduana, right? I'd be afraid they would take a dim view of coming across the country without TVIP. Anyone done this?
  14. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    It can be done at Melchor , and I know people who have done it . But you will be quiet some time in Guatemala without a TVIP , meaning that every cop can take your bike away . And depending where you headed , Melchor is kind of a detour .
  15. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Bike crossed at Frontera Corozal for many years. Their nearest customs house for clearing bikes was Melchor. Anybody coming into the Peten from the NW, is headed to Flores. Well, most anyway....
    Melchor is a short ride from Flores.

Sure, do it at El Ceibo.
    Whatever works............:)

And there are other crossing w/o...anything.......nada....
  16. wolfandzebra

wolfandzebra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting info, thanks guys, we are considering doing the crossing in a month or so at El Ceibo. We'll report back
  17. Catracho

Catracho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be doing the same in mid-late May. My 6 months in Mexico ends may 31, currently in Oaxaca renting a place for the month.
    So that's the verdict? Cross and ride to Melchior to get the permit. Urghh. I hate the idea of being that close to Belize
    I'll buy the first round of brahva in Flores
  18. Catracho

Catracho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be doing the same in mid-late May. My 6 months in Mexico ends may 31, currently in Oaxaca renting a place for the month.
    So that's the verdict? Cross and ride to Melchior to get the permit. Urghh. I hate the idea of being that close to Belize
    I'll buy the first round of brahva in Flores
  19. wolfandzebra

wolfandzebra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Folks, a quick update as promised.
    We crossed the border into Guatemala at El Ceibo on Apr 30, 2014 and had a wonderful experience. We spent the previous nite at Tenosique and easily made it to the border for its opening at 9am. We were riding into Guatemala less than 2 hours later.

I must say everyone was super friendly and helpful on both sides of the border, the process is quite forward and has been documented elsewhere but just in case here is how it went for us:

1. Leave the Aduana to your left and drive to la migration, park your bike to the left of the building.
    2. See the migration official, show your visa stamp, provide the receipt for the 306 Pesos entry fee you should have paid when entering the country or pay them now, get your exit stamp
    3. Go back to the 2nd building, not the aduana the Banjercito
    4. Go to the Banjercito window, show your permiso temporado de importacion along with passport and title. Get your import fee refunded.
    5. Cross the border and start with the immigration, the blue office behind the aduana trailer
    6. Show your passport and get your 90 days tourist visa stamped
    7. Leave your bike parked in front of the aduana trailer and walk through the border, immediately after the gate at your right is a small tienda offering copy services. Get one copy of the following docs:
    8. your passport photo page
    9. your passport page with your new guatemalan visa stamp
    10. your drivers licence
    11. your bike's title
    12. Return to the aduana office with your copies, present the originals to the friendly officer, notice the Wolf & Zebra sticker on the wall, get the invoice for your bike import fee, 160 Quezales, about US$23.
    13. Step about and got to the yellow banjercito trailer, pay the fee to the official and return to the aduana with the receipt
    14. Sign the 3 copies of your import permit, get the SAT import sticker, proudly put in on your windscreen
    15. Ride into Guatemala!

Note that their is a fumigation stand where zealous guys will spray your wheels with and unidentified liquid for 40 pesos or US$3. This is legally required for importation but the aduana officer forgot to ask us the proof of fumigation. We got our bikes fumigated anyway and paid for the service.

Hope this will help you guys

[​IMG]
  20. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    To clear up some confusion about El Ceibo border crossing and El Naranjo here are the important details.
    El Naranjo, Guatemala is located on the banks of the Rio San Pedro about 30km east of El Ceibo. This river is a tributary to the Rio Usumacinta and still serves for river traffic.
    .El Naranjo WAS the previous main point for border crossing because that was the Guatemalan river port from which the convenient transborder travel was made downstream to /from Mexico at El Ceibo port The old surface route was a very tough unimproved muddy dirt cow trail through bog and bottomland which was difficult in the dry and impassable in wet weather .
    However since the Mexican government provided most of the funding and engineering for the rerouting and building of an actual solid paved all weather highway about 6 years ago the river traffic has become unneeded for most purposes. This new excellent highway connects to the existing Guatemalan departmental highway 13 about 8km south of El Naranjo. Have a visit there, it is an interesting place with gasoline and restaurants and hotels. To get anywhere else in Guatemala you need to take that RD 13 southeast and you will connect to Northeast to Flores,Tikal,Melchor de Mencos and to points south via Coban , Semuc Champay etc etc
    The road into Mexico from El Ceibo is the extension of Mex 203 to Tenosique, ,Emiliano Zapata and connects with Mex 186 and the rest of North America

Also if this is the first or only place you read info on El CEIBO or any Mexican border crossing remember that CANCELLING THE TVIP is an option you might not need to exercise.
    The TVIP and it's associated SECURITY DEPOSIT are good for a period of 180 days and may be kept for multiple return visits to Mexico within that period.
    If you intend to return to and through Mexico within that 180 day span you may hang on to the TVIP while BANJERCITO will guard your deposit. Then when you finally leave Mexico for the last time you can cancel the TVIP and collect the refund for the deposit.
    If however you are going to stay in Central or South America then you should cancel the TVIP and get the refund.
    Not needing to cancel the TVIP saves you the trouble and expense of buying a second TVIP for the return trip. It also simplifies the re- entry to Mexico from Belize and Guatemala , especially at El CEIBO or other small entry ports with restricted BANJERCITO service.