1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Palouse Riders

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Spaniard, Feb 23, 2009.

1. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    ~Hwy 82
    ~Eggleson Lane to Crow Creek Road.
    ~Stay on Crow Creek Road until the ‘Y’ then right onto Zumwalt Rd.
    ~Before hitting the summit I usually visit the Zumwalt Prairie Preserve by turning onto Duckett Road (716 Road).

Beyond that, it is just NE another 20 miles or so on the Buckhorn-Zumwalt Road to the overlook.

Great spot to stargaze at night too!
    pckopp likes this.
  2. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wonderful country.

Near the cattle loading corral.
    ZumwaltRd.jpg
    td63, Watercat, TheAdmiral and 5 others like this.
  3. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    We did see a lot of snakes on that trip.
  4. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    no snakes on this trip of Joseph Creek... we drove 20 miles in and did not run into any snow on the road (mud, water yes, but no snow)...Would have gone further but one of the ATVs tossed a chain and in the unwinding of the chain busted it in two places and destroyed a sprocket)... thankfully we had another ATV with us so the tow of same back to the truck... 20 miles away..

rough as always...

upload_2020-5-3_20-38-22.png

upload_2020-5-3_20-39-2.png

for LB

upload_2020-5-3_20-39-52.png

my Honda ran like a watch... I rode it like an idiot....

upload_2020-5-3_20-40-55.png

this trip had one son, daughter in law, two granddaughters, Janet, and me... this is my motorhead granddaughter...

upload_2020-5-3_20-42-43.png
  5. Idarider

Idarider R1200GS

Oddometer:
    Excellent pictures of the rocks on horse creek.
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  6. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Flowers:clap
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  7. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

td63 and Dons1911 like this.
  8. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Thanks. Spring wildflowers indicate full riding season (no snow in the mountains) is soon to be here. :ricky
  9. Mtnseker

Mtnseker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Out scouting for a campsite for the weekend. 20200505_112423.jpg
  10. 1911fan

Oddometer:
    Forecast for the day: thunderstorms and wind gusts up to 44mph.
    Good day to be working inside.
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  11. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    Yep, decided on driving the pickup to work today after watching a flock of ducks fly by this morning.. backwards... They were flapping for all they were worth and losing more ground than they were gaining. At the rate they were going they might end up well into in Montana by midday.
    Dons1911 likes this.
  12. td63

td63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is that a USFS road, left off of 3 heading south, about halfway between the Rattlesnake Grade and Enterprise...dead ends into big graveled turn around?
  13. 1911fan

Oddometer:
    Good dust cloud coming off Clarkston Heights about 6:15 this morning.

Attached Files:

14. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    ...and by good I assume you mean "impressive" or "large in scale" or some such. Blowing dust is never good in and of itself! :lol3
  15. 1911fan

Oddometer:
    Wish I could post the video I took on my commute. Blowing dust limited visibility to 20 yards or less in places. Added to 40+mph winds made it a fun drive.
  16. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    been caught twice in really BAD side winds once down near Gerlach Nevada and I swear at times I was dragging a foot peg tipping the bike over to keep riding straight... and the worse was on the Dempster.... the winds were stupid... as in the gravel was moving... you had to hold the bikes up (even parked nose into the wind) as they would tip over... we were exhausted and I wanted to go to ground but "Janet saw a bear" and she will NOT camp if she sees a bear... ain't happening, no way... so we pushed on... late that night we still ended up camping as we were too exhausted to continue... heck even the ferries were shut down due to wind.
  17. 1911fan

Oddometer:
    Probably the worst wind I’ve ever ridden through was 70 mph plus on I84 on the Columbia river. Since the Columbia River Gorge has such jagged walls, the wind which was blowing up river was bouncing off all the cliffs and crannies and canyons, so you never knew which way the next gust would hit you. I could not get over 45 mph and stay in my lane. I was terrified all the way from Goldendale to Hood River.
    Was headed to the Black Dog, but the weather up there looked even worse, so I just stayed at a Best Western. Rode back to central Washington the next morning, and it was just as bad all the way up to Blewett Pass.
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  18. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The arroyo's on I8 westbound up through the mountains on the way from Yuma to Carlsbad one morning in '82. Only blowing 45-50 but would take you from far right to far left on the freeway every time you'd come to a bridge. When the wind blew you to the left you could see the debris left by the semi trailers in the bottom! There are wind fences up there now. dd
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  19. Mtnseker

Mtnseker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Several years ago I was traveling down the Lewiston hill in a terrible wind storm. The wind was blowing so hard I was probably only traveling 30 mph. In front of me there was a motorcycle rider on a smaller bike really struggling and as he came around the hairpin halfway down the hill he was blown off his bike. I stopped to assist him and I could barely stand upright with the force of the wind. We pull his bike off the road and I gave him a ride home. Near the bottom of the Lewiston hill two simi trailers were laying on there sides from the wind storm. Not a good day to be be riding.
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  20. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    wind in the canyon can be unbelievable... we tried to come out of Boyer Park on a 20 something jet boat headed down river on a water rescue... about took out the windshield of the sheriff's boat and when the pumps could not keep up with the water we turned around... the rescue became a later recovery