Pan American Departure Dates

Discussion in 'Americas' started by jackattack13, May 1, 2020.

1. jackattack13

jackattack13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

I searched the interwebs far and wide and could not find any info, so I figured I would just reach out and ask. Basically, I currently live in San Diego and am looking to do the Pan American Highway next year, but am finding it hard to gauge what time I should plan on leaving the U.S.

I am open to doing the southern portion first, but would prefer to head north to Alaska and then head south. BUT, being as flexible as possible, I would be keen with just jumping down into Mexico from S.D. and then heading on my way. With that being said. What date would you recommend you leave SoCal to head North, and what day would you recommend you leave SoCal to head south? That way if I get all of my ducks in a row I can choose one or another.

Thanks in advance!
  2. holckster

holckster dougholck

Oddometer:
    Hard to tell you when to leave since we don't have a clue how fast you like to move along.

I had a friend who went from SF to Panama City and back in 1 month, others take 6 months one way.
    Another rider went from Alaska to Santiago in 3 1/2 years.
    Another rider and his wife did San Diego to Ushuaia in 77 days.

So I can only suggest arrival dates for each end.

South
    I was in Ushuaia August 28, 2016 and weather was shirt sleeve.

North
    I've made 3 trips north and prefer June as it seems to be the month with the least rain and attending the annual D2D event in Dawson City 6/20 is a hoot.

Safe Travels
  3. jackattack13

jackattack13 Adventurer

Oddometer: