Pan American Highway: September 2019 - May 2020

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Matthew.chizz, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Matthew.chizz

Matthew.chizz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, sorry it’s been awhile. Been finishing up college, writing finals and starting work again for the summer.

Anyways like I said, I ordered a set of Giantloop Mototrekk panniers and they finally came in awhile back. Thanks again to @Dirtracks for hooking me up with these. They look amazing, mounted very easily, seem to made of good material and they are ready to use. I also received my RAM mount (I don’t know why this is my first one or why I haven’t bought one earlier) but it works flawlessly and it’s great to have. I have also added a mudflap in front of the rear tire to prevent dirt etc from getting to the shock, as one have you had mentioned to do. It went well (just cut a piece of a old mudflap 4”x3.5”) and bolted it up to the existing mudflap/fender underneath the bike that had already existing holes to bolt up to. Hopefully this helps prevent any shock replacement/maintenance down the road. I have not had a chance between work and the weather during days off to get out for a ride, but I’m hoping I will get a chance this upcoming week on my next set off. Anyways, I’ll keep anyone following this, updated on how everything is holding up and I have attached a few photos of the bikes progress. Forgot to add, I did buy some new Acerbis hand guards that I have not yet installed but it’s on the to do list.

IMG_1671.jpg IMG_1672.jpg IMG_1673.jpg IMG_1674.jpg IMG_1676.jpg IMG_1679.jpg
  2. irishfeather

irishfeather n00b

Oddometer:
    Hope your trip is going good. I plan on riding my 2005 KLR from Georgia (US) to Panama in FEB 2020.
    Matthew.chizz likes this.
  3. Matthew.chizz

Matthew.chizz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally got out for a couple rides the last few days. I ordered new Tusk Billet Race Foot Pegs since the CNC foot pegs I order from Fast Pro on Amazon were absolute garbage. I recommend everyone to stay away from those foot pegs and buyer. First of all, they did not mount up remotely close, not sure if they sent me foot pegs for the wrong bike or were defective from manufacturing. Anyways, Fast Pro would not send me a new set, they would not cover shipping to return them, then they inform me that they have not received the foot pegs and will not refund the money. Funny how that works. But with a proper worded email they finally refunded the money. I also ordered a new Tusk folding shift lever since the stock KLR one has bent multiple times and is now cracked in half. Ordered a new Tusk low-profile magnetic drain plug, before I end up ripping the stock one out since it hangs lower than the skid plate. Also ordered a JNS Engineering side stand foot pad, so I can set the bike down and soft terrain a little easier. Where do you guys get your tool tubes & what do you use for mounts / brackets? The welding wire spool case I picked up is no longer waterproof so I will need to switch that up.
    IMG_1741.jpg IMG_1743.jpg 2E7026BC-DE50-48C4-95B5-221F51CFB233.jpg
    Dan Diego likes this.
  4. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl That's one way to park it upright without a center stand .
    I gues it means you discovered the limit of traction and the maximum incline for the KLR at a low speed you must have had . ?
    Make note to self to not get too far off the Pan American Highway :imaposer Think what fun it will be to extract the KLR once you get it all loaded up with your traveling stuff. At least make the foray going uphill away from the road so the recovery will be toward the highway and downhill..
  5. Matthew.chizz

Matthew.chizz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As you can see, the bottom of the hill is all bush. Could only get so much speed through the bend in the trail through the bush before hitting the hill. Speed was definitely a factor, but the tires I’m running didn’t help either. Either way, it was an easy turn around and a ride down.
  6. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    You'll be fine. Nice prep. I'd install a headlight glass guard and go!!!!!!!! Copy all your documents and email them to yourself, you'll always have them. Scan and copy a full size pic of your license plate. If you loose the plate you'll have that. We met a rider in Ushuaia who had ridden most of the way down on a paper plate! Have a nice trip. Stop EARLY every day. DO NOT RIDE AT NIGHT.....too many obstacles, broken cars and animals.
    knight, Dhermz and Matthew.chizz like this.
  7. Dhermz

Dhermz Canadian Supporter

Oddometer:
    Greetings!

I too am planning a trip south this fall. From Edmonton! Heading the same direction/ same time.

Hopefully we cross paths! If you need anything on you way through, feel free to send me a message!

Cheers,

Dave
    Sparky.marky and Matthew.chizz like this.
  8. Matthew.chizz

Matthew.chizz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Drivers licence, passport, SIN, health card, MasterCard, debit card, licence plate, registration, any other documents I’m missing? Thanks for the information by the way!
  9. Matthew.chizz

Matthew.chizz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome, I’m sure we will cross paths at some point! Do you have whatsapp or a cell number I can reach you at?
    Sparky.marky likes this.
  10. CaveJohnson

CaveJohnson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wish I wasn't the only one on here planning on starting out in July/August, you're doing pretty much the same trip I'm planning, and my whole family's flipping out at me about the idea of doing it alone. Good luck with your prep!
  11. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    Proof of a Yellow fever shot may come in handy
  12. Matcrisp

Matcrisp n00b

Oddometer:
    Can anyone confirm the Yellow Fever is needed to ride the Pan American Highway? I have the shot scheduled but it costs $250, and insurance does not cover it. I think I will just get Typhoid which is about $125.
  13. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You need the Yellow Fever shot and certificate to enter Bolivia. That said, you can get the shot in Ecuador for a fraction of the cost.
    Matthew.chizz and knight like this.
  14. Sparky.marky

Sparky.marky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was told I'd need proof of immunization, but they never asked... This was a couple years ago
    Dan Diego and powderzone like this.
  15. Sparky.marky

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys.

A little about me:

If you're like me and spend many late nights reading ride reports, you may remember me from "Prairies to Patagonia." I'm Chizz's older brother, and I will be accompanying him from Somewhere in BC, Canada to Somewhere, Mexico, at which point he will continue South and I will return to LA, where I will leave my bike for a while, and fly home to Vancouver. Unfortunately I only have 6 weeks for this trip instead of 6+ months so I will try and stick with him for as long as I can.

A lot has changed since I came home from South America. I can't get into details but I now live out west in Vancouver and ride a KTM 1190 R. Life has changed a lot. I am looking forward to getting back on the bike for an extended period of time. This has brought back a lot of old memories of good times and good friends. If you're reading this and have been considering doing something similar, put a plan in place now. Nothing in my life has been as incredible, challenging, exciting, exotic, educational, thrilling, and inspiring as my days spent on the road chasing a distant town I've only ever read about and looked at on maps. As the saying goes; its not the destination but the journey.

The Plan (there is no plan)

Currently it is Sept 10 at 3AM, and I get done work on Sept 15 at 6PM. At this point almost nothing is planned. What we have so far is:

Sept 15: I ride East towards Chizz and he rides West towards me. Maybe we will meet near Salmo, BC where I have a good friend who I met riding years ago. He will likely host us and maybe accompany us for a day or two.
    Sept 16 - Oct 2: Continental Divide Trail, Backcountry Discovery Routes, who knows? Let's aim South!
    Oct: 2 - 15: I have some internet-instagram-motorcycle friends who I've followed for ages that are headed to Baja.. You thinking what I'm thinking?
    Oct 15: Cabo? Then sail across to Mazatlan?
    Oct 18: I need to say goodbye to Chizz and make my way to LA. is 1 week enough time? I guess it depends where I end up. He will keep heading South.
    Oct 29: Fly home.

Matthew's (Chizz) plans for the trip may have changed over the past 6 months. I will let him fill you guys in.
    Matthew.chizz and powderzone like this.
  16. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great trip. Chizz gets to ride the first 6 weeks with his grizzled older brother, work out the kinks, then head south. Hope you two write a RR.
  17. Sparky.marky

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,

Day 2 (Mark):

Quick Update. Last night Matthew Rode Saskatoon --> Calgary, right now he's on the road, heading towards Salmo. He can write more on that.

I've been really busy with work the past couple weeks, I haven't even finished packing. My 1190 has been in the shop (MotoConcept) in North Vancouver for the past few weeks waiting on parts that still haven't arrived. (rear wheel speed sensor, front rotors, and kickstand) I picked it up anyways last night (they did an awesome job welding my upper and lower crashbars into 1, and fabricating me a new kickstand) and picked up the set of brake pads I ordered. When I hopped on it last night I remembered why I ordered brakes.... The rear has been losing pressure and I had planned to do a bleed/investigate the cause... and replace pads while I'm at it.

I'm hoping to get off tonight around 6PM, head home, finish my last minute packing, and finish some last minute touches on the bike (remove the luggage racks/cases - no sense ruining them off-road). I'll have to do this trip without ABS/traction control/ride modes/power modes, with slightly pulsating front discs, and with a squishy rear brake. Not the greatest start but I'm hoping I can find parts and make some repairs along the way. @Enduroadventures may have totalled his 1190 at the KTM rally in Colorado this week so if I end up in Salt Lake City I have a good source for parts.

Not sure if I'll leave tonight at 7PM and ride through the rain and night and arrive late around 1AM... Or wake up early at 4 AM and leave, arriving at lunch tomorrow... and then putting on more miles.
    Guess we'll find out soon.

Attached Files:

18. Matthew.chizz

Matthew.chizz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 1: 14 September, 2019 (Chizz)

I rode from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan to Airdrie, Alberta. I was planning to leave much earlier in the day, but due to last minute packing and snapping an oil filter cover bolt during one last look over of the bike, this delayed me. Thanks to a Saskatchewan Dual Sport Member, Dale, he informed me to come over to his house and he would extract the broken bolt in the engine casing and put a new one in for me. Thankfully he was able to get this done within minutes. Now I have an oil filter cover bolt from an early 2000’s Kawasaki Sherpa 250. Anyways, I arrived in Airdrie a little after dark. As soon as the sun went down, it was very cold. Thanks to Marks friend, Ryder, he let me stay at his house for the night. Not much to say about the ride, I have driven from Saskatoon to Calgary / Airdrie so many times, it is a very boring and flat drive.
    IMG_3010.JPG
    IMG_3024.JPG
    59025841600__6D1410A3-06B5-4D7F-9D1E-DD4F5E235424.JPG

Day 2: 15 September, 2019 (Chizz)
    Today I rode from Airdrie, Alberta to Salmo, BC where I will be meeting up with Mark at his friend, Jacks house. Jack will be hosting us for a night or two at his place in Salmo. This happened to be a very nice drive as I headed South through Calgary, through Okotoks, South of Black Diamond and down HWY 22 (Cowboy Trail). Once I got to Longview, I headed West down HWY 541, which is supposed to be a very famous motorbike route with one of the highest mountain passes in Canada. After travelling west down HWY 541 for awhile, I turned South at Forest Service Road #940. This is a very scenic FSR. This FSR is actually a leg of the Continental Divide Trail which was on my bucket list to ride. There were a ton of fisherman, hikers, campers and motor bikers down this FSR, along with tons of beautiful places to camp for free. If I had more time, I would have camped here. This FSR took me down to Coleman, Alberta where I stopped for gas and headed West down HWY 3 (Crowsnest HWY) to Salmo before it got dark since I did not want to ride after sunset again. When I arrived at Jacks house in Salmo, he had a nice hot supper that was in the slow cooker all day. Long story short, this hit the spot. Mark had contacted me once I got to Jack’s, and informed me that he has to work late and still hasn’t finished packing. So Mark decided to leave North Vancouver where he lives, early the next morning around 4am so he would arrived in Salmo around noon. Me and Jack visited the rest of the evening, before heading to bed.
    IMG_3031.JPG
    IMG_3037.JPG
    IMG_3046.JPG
    4966BF62-9A84-4AB8-BAF8-2CC3C4B3D246.jpg

Day 3: 16 September, 2019 (Chizz)
    Today was a day off and I slept in as the weather was supposed to be rainy and I knew Mark had planned on arriving around noon. Me and Jack ate breakfast and decided to go grocery shopping and pick up a few parts for Mark. Mark needed Dot 5 brake fluid, a valve stem puller and some small bore hose to flush his brake fluid. Jack and I finished up our running around and before we had even got back to his place, Mark had arrived. Mark and I flushed our brake fluid since Marks rear brakes were feeling “spongy” and I figured it wouldn’t hurt to change mine either. We spent the rest of the day visiting since the weather was poor. We had also planned our route for the following day, where we would make our way from Salmo, BC to Lewiston, Idaho. Jack will be joining us for a few days heading South.
    IMG_3063.JPG
    IMG_3064.JPG
    IMG_3067.JPG

PS: I am slightly behind on ride reports. Little difficult to keep up with no Wifi and visiting friends along the way. Anyways, myself and Mark may take turns writing since we are riding together. Will try to catch up within the next few days.
    powderzone likes this.
  19. Matthew.chizz

Matthew.chizz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 4: 17 September, 2019 (Chizz)
    Today was an earlier day as we left from Salmo, BC to Lewiston, Idaho. I have never ridden in the United States before so this was exciting for me. We headed South from Salmo on HWY 6 to the Nelway boarder crossing into Washington. We had no issues crossing the Canadian / American border and were let through within minutes. Jack knew this area very well so he lead for the majority of the day and gave us a tour. We continued South down HWY 31 and took Sullivan Lake Road, heading East and continued until we turned South on Le Clerc Road N all the way to Newport, this was a nice quiet highway to ride on that runs along the river. Beautiful scenery. From Newport we went South on HWY 41 all the way to Interstate 90. Here we turned East until we hit Coeur d’Alene where we stopped at the visitor information centre for maps and to have a bite to eat. The lady working at the desk was very helpful. After we finished up, we headed South towards Lewiston. Once we checked into our motel, we went for a bite to eat at a Mexican Restaurant a block or so down from the American Inn Motel. After supper, Mark and I had decided to change the tires on my bike since we would be soon riding the Idaho Backcountry discovery Route. This took us a little longer than expected but eventually got them swapped over to something a little more aggressive. Thanks to Mike, our third hand, was a huge help. After this it was bed time. We had to be up early to continue East to Salmon River on the BDR

View attachment 1907634 IMG_7181.JPG IMG_7173.JPG IMG_7135.JPG ]

Attached Files:

Dan Diego and Dhermz like this.
  20. holckster

holckster dougholck

Oddometer:
    You will need "Original" Registration card (not a copy but take copies) to enter Mexico.

Most all Latin and South American Countries require PROOF of OWNERSHIP (not just registration) and only accept the "Original" Title document (aka Pink Slip), not a copy.

Before I left I reported mine lost and paid for a second Origional Title so I had a spare I kept as back up.

International Drivers License available at AAA offices.

Safe Travels