Pan American Highway: September 2019 - May 2020

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Matthew.chizz, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Matthew.chizz

Matthew.chizz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, sorry it’s been awhile. Been finishing up college, writing finals and starting work again for the summer.

Anyways like I said, I ordered a set of Giantloop Mototrekk panniers and they finally came in awhile back. Thanks again to @Dirtracks for hooking me up with these. They look amazing, mounted very easily, seem to made of good material and they are ready to use. I also received my RAM mount (I don’t know why this is my first one or why I haven’t bought one earlier) but it works flawlessly and it’s great to have. I have also added a mudflap in front of the rear tire to prevent dirt etc from getting to the shock, as one have you had mentioned to do. It went well (just cut a piece of a old mudflap 4”x3.5”) and bolted it up to the existing mudflap/fender underneath the bike that had already existing holes to bolt up to. Hopefully this helps prevent any shock replacement/maintenance down the road. I have not had a chance between work and the weather during days off to get out for a ride, but I’m hoping I will get a chance this upcoming week on my next set off. Anyways, I’ll keep anyone following this, updated on how everything is holding up and I have attached a few photos of the bikes progress. Forgot to add, I did buy some new Acerbis hand guards that I have not yet installed but it’s on the to do list.

IMG_1671.jpg IMG_1672.jpg IMG_1673.jpg IMG_1674.jpg IMG_1676.jpg IMG_1679.jpg
  2. irishfeather

irishfeather n00b

Oddometer:
    Hope your trip is going good. I plan on riding my 2005 KLR from Georgia (US) to Panama in FEB 2020.
    Matthew.chizz likes this.
  3. Matthew.chizz

Matthew.chizz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally got out for a couple rides the last few days. I ordered new Tusk Billet Race Foot Pegs since the CNC foot pegs I order from Fast Pro on Amazon were absolute garbage. I recommend everyone to stay away from those foot pegs and buyer. First of all, they did not mount up remotely close, not sure if they sent me foot pegs for the wrong bike or were defective from manufacturing. Anyways, Fast Pro would not send me a new set, they would not cover shipping to return them, then they inform me that they have not received the foot pegs and will not refund the money. Funny how that works. But with a proper worded email they finally refunded the money. I also ordered a new Tusk folding shift lever since the stock KLR one has bent multiple times and is now cracked in half. Ordered a new Tusk low-profile magnetic drain plug, before I end up ripping the stock one out since it hangs lower than the skid plate. Also ordered a JNS Engineering side stand foot pad, so I can set the bike down and soft terrain a little easier. Where do you guys get your tool tubes & what do you use for mounts / brackets? The welding wire spool case I picked up is no longer waterproof so I will need to switch that up.
    IMG_1741.jpg IMG_1743.jpg 2E7026BC-DE50-48C4-95B5-221F51CFB233.jpg
  4. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl That's one way to park it upright without a center stand .
    I gues it means you discovered the limit of traction and the maximum incline for the KLR at a low speed you must have had . ?
    Make note to self to not get too far off the Pan American Highway :imaposer Think what fun it will be to extract the KLR once you get it all loaded up with your traveling stuff. At least make the foray going uphill away from the road so the recovery will be toward the highway and downhill..
  5. Matthew.chizz

Matthew.chizz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As you can see, the bottom of the hill is all bush. Could only get so much speed through the bend in the trail through the bush before hitting the hill. Speed was definitely a factor, but the tires I’m running didn’t help either. Either way, it was an easy turn around and a ride down.
  6. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    You'll be fine. Nice prep. I'd install a headlight glass guard and go!!!!!!!! Copy all your documents and email them to yourself, you'll always have them. Scan and copy a full size pic of your license plate. If you loose the plate you'll have that. We met a rider in Ushuaia who had ridden most of the way down on a paper plate! Have a nice trip. Stop EARLY every day. DO NOT RIDE AT NIGHT.....too many obstacles, broken cars and animals.
    Dhermz and Matthew.chizz like this.
  7. Dhermz

Dhermz Canadian

Oddometer:
    Greetings!

I too am planning a trip south this fall. From Edmonton! Heading the same direction/ same time.

Hopefully we cross paths! If you need anything on you way through, feel free to send me a message!

Cheers,

Dave
  8. Matthew.chizz

Matthew.chizz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Drivers licence, passport, SIN, health card, MasterCard, debit card, licence plate, registration, any other documents I’m missing? Thanks for the information by the way!
  9. Matthew.chizz

Matthew.chizz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome, I’m sure we will cross paths at some point! Do you have whatsapp or a cell number I can reach you at?
  10. CaveJohnson

CaveJohnson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wish I wasn't the only one on here planning on starting out in July/August, you're doing pretty much the same trip I'm planning, and my whole family's flipping out at me about the idea of doing it alone. Good luck with your prep!
  11. knight

knight Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Proof of a Yellow fever shot may come in handy
  12. Matcrisp

Matcrisp n00b

Oddometer:
    Can anyone confirm the Yellow Fever is needed to ride the Pan American Highway? I have the shot scheduled but it costs $250, and insurance does not cover it. I think I will just get Typhoid which is about $125.
  13. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You need the Yellow Fever shot and certificate to enter Bolivia. That said, you can get the shot in Ecuador for a fraction of the cost.
    Matthew.chizz and knight like this.