Panama From US Late November or Early December

Discussion in 'Americas' started by rpilottx, Oct 2, 2019.

1. rpilottx

rpilottx Long timer

Oddometer:
    A ride to Panama from the US has been on my bucket list for awhile and I am looking at late November or early December. I am totally flexible on the route or duration of the ride and am looking for others who might want to go south.

I lived in El Paso for 21 years and have ridden to Copper Canyon on several occasions but no further south. I speak some basic Spanish but would not call myself fluent by any means of the imagination. I will probably be riding a Versys 650.

I have been in the Philippines for the last month and will be returning to the US in mid October but have plans on touring the East coast of the US for the first half of November. I no longer have any attachment to the US and am totally free. Let me know if you are interested. My email is ktmrider2@live.com.
    ag40 and matthewg123 like this.
  2. matthewg123

matthewg123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm heading this way late December. Following!
  3. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    I did a similar trip in December of 2011. I need to get back that way to see some things the I missed, nut this December won't work for me. i will, however, be following your ride report, if you post one.
  4. samalama

samalama Where we going? Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wife and I will be riding south from New Mexico in November, hitting Copper Canyon and points beyond to Panama. Riding 2 bikes, 4-5 months, nowhere special in mind but wherever our noses lead us. We would like to meet up with you sometime and share experiences on the road.
  5. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chillijack will be in the Copper Canyon on a DR650 around Nov.15th check in with him
  6. Artlocks

Artlocks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I may want to go south if I don't go to Africa in January. Anyway, I will keep an eye on this thread.

Did you do any riding while in the Philippines?
  7. rpilottx

rpilottx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mostly scuba diving and some photography. However, I did rent a bike to ride to the beach. Except for the express highways which require a bike of at least 400cc, the roads are so bad that a small bike of less then 200 cc works perfectly. I encountered the same conditions a few years ago motorcycling in Laos. A Honda 250 dual sport was just about the perfect size as the long suspension was perfect for the really rotten roads while most scooters were 125cc or less so the 250 was a "big" motorcycle.
  8. samalama

Oddometer:
    I just looked him up and couldn't find him. Are you sure that the spelling of his username is correct? thanks!
  9. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chilejack whoops
  10. Artlocks

Artlocks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will your tour of the east coast include Raleigh or the outer banks?
  11. matthewg123

Oddometer:
    My partner bailed on the trip this week after 2100 miles in Quebec, Gaspe and PEI. Looks like I could leave in December or earlier. Hoping for Big Bend NP, TX, Mexico/CA to Panama and back to the US. I'd love a riding partner, if it could work out.
  12. samalama

Oddometer:
    Why did your partner bail on you? Keep in touch, we could meet up in Mexico or beyond for a few days here and there!
  13. matthewg123

Oddometer:
    We spent six days on the road, he on a 1986 R65 and myself on my 2001 R1150GS. He realized that wife, family and home is where he want's to spend his free time this winter. I'm just a heathen single man with a wanderlust for adventure.
  14. rpilottx

rpilottx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I was supposed to meet my sister in DC about 3 November. She had to bail because of another commitment. I worked for the federal government for 34 years so I have spent lots of time in DC. I plan on a fall foliage tour of the Smokies and then perhaps Quantico, Va to see the USMC Museum. I could be ready to ride south as early as 15 Nov. My bikes are both in storage in STL so I need to pick one up for the trip.
  15. JustASeck

JustASeck n00b

Oddometer:
    Leaving Montana at the end of October, trailering to Minnesota, then headed East eventually to the Carolina’s, south to Florida, back west to Vegas by the first weekend in December then south to Panama. Considering sticking to the east side on the way down, west side, including ferry to La Paz on the way back. Definitely would not be opposed to grouping up with some folks, especially in El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua. Strength in numbers and such. No real time constraints, back in Montana by mid-May.
  16. HeadShrinker

HeadShrinker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Speaking of El Salvador, I was way out in the jungle on my Africa Twin on some single track that became impossible for the beast. I came to this sharp corner with a 20 foot drop off the trail and I couldn’t turn it around. Then way out in the foliage I began to hear the murmur of a motorcycle. The machete and machine gun wielding guerrillas soon arrived on the trail, jumped quickly off their bike, ran towards me....

They smiled and they shook my hand, helped me turn around the bike, and we spent a half hour talking and chilling. They’d never seen a big ADV bike up close. We are all pals on FB and IG now. They were just normal dudes riding to town.

El Salvador and Nicaragua (now) are super chill and pretty safe as long as you use your head. Honduras, the East side was awesome. West was okay besides the gun fire down the street from the roach infested hotel. Just kidding, it was next door.
    JustASeck and knight like this.
  17. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    El Tunco in El Salvador was one of our favorite stops of our whole trip. Just delightful for a few days rest and relaxation. Take the bus to the pier and town.