Panamerican Highway, safe bike storage

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Miles&More, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Miles&More

Miles&More n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi All,
    I have got an interesting project developing in my head for last couple of months. Project name is “<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Panamerican Highway</st1:address></st1:Street>”. Bike shipment from <st1:country-region w:st="on">Croatia</st1:country-region> to <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">USA</st1:place></st1:country-region> and all other trip preparations will take some time, money and efforts but it shouldn’t be a problem. Main problem is my job. I work on 6 weeks on/off basis (employed on dive support vessel) and 6 weeks of riding time will be sufficient to make just a part of trip. Question is where to leave the bike? Anyone knows some reliable and safe places along the route I could leave my GS and fly back to the worksite “paranoid free”:eek1 ? Rental rate for some garage or warehouse won’t be a problem but I just want “my baby” to be safe and taken care of when “papa” is off for the bussiness. I can modify and set up trip stopovers accordingly. Bear in mind I’m not quitting my job as I’ll need some cash flow.
  2. EsconDeasy

EsconDeasy Ectomorph

Oddometer:
    You came to the right place. I'm sure there are many ADVers who have space in the garage for you. If your trip leaves you in Phoenix, you are welcome to store it in mine.
  3. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where abouts will your first six week leg likely leave you at the end. What general area would be best?
  4. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    Yep. Some knowledge of your itinerary and you'll get some good advice, I'll bet.
  5. Miles&More

Miles&More n00b

Oddometer:
    Well, the whole trip will be divided in 4 legs and some rough schedule is as follows:
    - taking over the bike in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on">New York</st1:State> and ride across <st1:country-region w:st="on">USA</st1:country-region> to Pacific coast (<st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Vancouver</st1:place></st1:City>)
    - from <st1:City w:st="on">Vancouver</st1:City> I’m going southbound, somewhere close to the Mexican border and here will be the first stopover .<st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Phoenix</st1:City></st1:place> sounds good, thanks Kowalski I’ll consider your offer seriously.
    - Next leg continues throughout Central America, fly across Darien Gap and it will end up on line between <st1:City w:st="on">Lima</st1:City> – <st1:City w:st="on">Arica</st1:City> – <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Antofagasta</st1:place></st1:City>. Looking for a shelter on that line…
    - 3<SUP>rd</SUP> leg continues all the way down to Ushuaia and than back to <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buenos Aires</st1:place></st1:City>. Looking for a shelter again…
    - Last ride gonna be a kind of round trip through Uruguay, Paraguay, south Brasil and back to Buenos Aires again. From BA I’m saying goodbye to <st1:country-region w:st="on">Americas</st1:country-region> and fly myself and bike back to <st1:place w:st="on">Europe</st1:place>.
    Generally, the entire trip is planned to give me enough spare time and flexibility (150 – 250km/day) as I don’t like tight timing and “have tos” while riding a bike :1drink a bike
  6. Miles&More

Miles&More n00b

Oddometer:
    Btw, "project" starts mid April 2008
  7. strsout

strsout Banned Camp

Oddometer:
    Hi Miles&More,
    I can offer my garage in San Bernardino (Souther California, about 1 hour from Tijuana, Mexico and 1:30 from Tecate, Mexico that in my opinion would be a better crossing then Tijuana, if you are planning to ride in Baja Califronia, that would be really nice).

In Brazil I do have few places that I could give you but looks like the bike will not be staying there!

PM if you decide to stop over San Bernardino
  8. McKanna

McKanna Cleanconscience=Bad Memor

Oddometer:
    If you need it count on a shelter in Guatemala City, Guatemala.
  9. Miles&More

Miles&More n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, I'll take all offers into consideration. Peru needed badly..
  10. Jacpod

Jacpod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PM me when you get close to Michigan (about 1000 miles west of New York)

Jacpod
  11. MysteryRider

MysteryRider Laughing at danger

Oddometer:
    Veracruz is covered.
    Connected to the battery tender of course.:D

PM me for details.

Ride Safe,
    Vettster
  12. Savoir-Faire

Savoir-Faire Powered by Hate

Oddometer:
    I don't have a garage, but I have a massive lock and a wrought iron fence embedded in concrete you can use. PM me for my email.

I'm in Chicago, I'm about 4 bloack off the expressway, and the trains to the airports are less than 2 blocks away, so it's pretty convenient for you.

By the way, I had a friend who was stationed at the embassy in Zagreb, and he said it was the most beautiful place he has ever been. The Adriatic coast is the best kept secret in Europe. Good luck on your trip.
  13. jsantos58

jsantos58 jsantos58

Oddometer:
    I have a good friend that works at the U.S. Embassy in Lima, he's a Harley rider. I will visit with him this weekend. I will ask him on your behalf if he is willing to store the bike for you at his residence. Joe
  14. bogriffinrides

bogriffinrides Adventurer

Oddometer:
    http://www.dakarmotos.com/index1.htm for Buenas Aires. They both treated me real well when I was there. I wish you lots of luck. It sounds like you have a great plan and I'm sure you will have a great time.

15. Flying Gringo 101

Flying Gringo 101 custodia flammae Supporter

Oddometer:
    Contact Norton Rat's Pub, on the plaza in Cusco, Peru as they will surely have contacts for you to store your bike. I've never been there but the Pub is revered for catering to riders from around the world. English spoken.

Best of luck to you on your ride.

Neal
  16. kevrider

kevrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    M&M or anyone who might know, i'm curious about how to pull this off. normally, when you enter a country with a motorbike, there is additional paperwork and customs will note this on your passport. then, upon departure, they check on your machine's status. this is specifically to make sure that your bike leaves with you and that you didn't sell it to a local. how do you get around this and leave the bike in place?
  17. tibejara

tibejara Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi.
    Consider Colombia?? no problem you can leave it in my house, my home town is Medellin
  18. Miles&More

Miles&More n00b

Oddometer:
    As far as I know things like a motorbike or any vehicle are to be "processed" through some another paperwork which has nothing to do with passport. And of course that "another paperwork" won't be shown to any custom while leaving the country :D (causing unnecessary complications) As long as you take the bike out of the country within 90 days (applies for most South American countries) there shouldn't be a problem.
  19. kevrider

kevrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    well, it's seven years since i've been down there so my memory may be suspect. i know there was other paperwork but i seem to remember stamps in my passport to indicate there was a vehicle with me. that's their cue to ask for further documents. iirc, at the airport in Panama, i needed to produce paperwork to prove that my bike was in the process of being shipped. makes sense, as without doing that, there was nothing to impede selling the bike and leaving. iirc.......

in any case, i'll be interested to see how it goes for my own future reference.
  20. Miles&More

Miles&More n00b

Oddometer:
    Forgot to mention that reciprocity goes without saying. Whoever would require same in Zagreb, Croatia is very welcome..
    BTW bike is ready (full of touratech equipment :D ), GPS navigation and maps ready, visas obtained. Remaining is arrangement with forwarding company. So far, so good :D