1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Panamint springs Dec. 19/ 21

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Windrat, Nov 21, 2008.

1. A.Vern

A.Vern One Man Wolf Pack

Oddometer:
    Transplanted in North Padre Island, Tejas
  2. Windrat

Windrat just a poser

Oddometer:
    Come on down everyone's welcome:clap there's lot's of riding for all.
    Plus it's your back yard.

:beer
  3. A.Vern

A.Vern One Man Wolf Pack

Oddometer:
    Yup,

Agree with the above after today. I rode with Lost Coyotes on the "Dash to Ballarat." Followed the ticker tape with the exception of the Searles Lake loop (too muddy for the big pig).

I made it over the Slate Range in one piece, although dropped the beast on one of the big downhills. The trail is loose and very steep in places and a 550 lb bike just wants to go with gravity. Thanks to the guys on the ride today (don't worry, I won't tell your friends you helped out a BMW rider :lol3 ) I made it out of the rock garden on the east side and to Ballarat.

Would I recommend it to 950's or GS's, hell no!

But did I have one hell of a ride?:wink:

It's a great ride, and makes me realize I need a lighter stable mate for some of the more technical stuff out there. Here's some pics from today. Somewhere out there is a photo of me riding down the hill in the background taken by a former GSA rider.

Simply put, he stopped to help out and explain that this is why he now owns a bike that is half the weight of a GSA.

Cheers:freaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
  5. Rammer

Rammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys! Just came down with a bad cold. :sick Kind of leary about pushing myself too hard this weekend. Probably not the best way to get over this.
  6. scruffy

scruffy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You all do realize it's going to be in the low 20's to high teens at night at Panamint. I think it's time for me to head for Key West.
  7. Windrat

Windrat just a poser

Oddometer:
    That stuff's going around... I got sick thanksgiveing and was down for a week. It's best to get well than play. Plus It's going to be cool there have you looked DV daze. You'll be missed.
  8. Windrat

Windrat just a poser

Oddometer:
    What cold where... I'm sure the rooms are heated
    I was hoping to test ride one of your bike's :lol3
    Have a safe drive back to the key west. Hope to do some more riding with you down the road.

Bob
  9. A.Vern

A.Vern One Man Wolf Pack

Oddometer:
    Windrat, it will be chilly but Panamint Springs has plently of beer to choose from to keep you guys warm. Unfortunately, I'm heading to Mammoth for the weekend, so I won't join you guys this time. By the way, I got the picture of the pig coming down one of the hills. Gives some perspective on what to expect.

Cheers!:freaky

[​IMG]
  10. Rammer

Rammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure what's going on at Panamit but it's snowing like crazy here in Vegas. :eek1 Might want to see what things look like for the weekend around there. Could be doing all your riding in snow.
  11. Windrat

Windrat just a poser

Oddometer:
    Well the weather sucks :cry

A little snow at the top of hill is fun. A foot or more.. at 4000ft is closing the roads and trails that we had planned to ride. The forcast has more weather possible for sat. So no melting for the weeken.
    I don't want to bail on the ride but only riding the valley floor in the cold is not what this ride was about.

I'm out... Let's hope for better weather next time.

Bob
  12. sopascat

sopascat not much of an adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So come down for the Christmas party if you can get here:1drink
  13. Xdirtbag

Xdirtbag Reformed Scootertrash

Oddometer:
    It's not supposed to be that bad this weekend, but it was hell in Vegas this week. Traffic here is shit if it rains, you shoulda seen the highway this morning! People here are in such a hurry all trhe time, with that me first mentality it was a freakin' wreck fest. You guy's that do Panamint this weekend are serious studs! I think it's gonna be cold as hell, but could be a shit load of fun. Wish I had the KTM plated seeing as how I am off next week most likely. Have fun guys.
  14. A.Vern

A.Vern One Man Wolf Pack

Oddometer:
    Here's a report from the high desert...

Right now it's 34 degrees in Ridgecrest, forecasted for a low of 26 tonight. I flew today and 60 % of the slate range is covered, Wild Rose canyon road is deep in the white stuff, and there is even snow on the wagon wheel area south of town. Cerro Gordo is filled in, and Saline Valley Rd is covered. All of the valleys (Saline, Panamint and Death are snow free) but once you leave 4000 feet, it's deep.

With that said, there is still plenty of good riding to be had at the lower elevations and the highs should be in the low 50's.

Gotta love the BMW, crawling up a sandy wash with the heated grips on is the way to live!

Cheers:freaky