Panamint Springs Nov 5-8

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Windrat, Sep 8, 2009.

1. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    Came accross this on the loop out of Ballarat.

[​IMG]
  2. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    Wow!

This really looks like it was a great ride. Lots of great reports and great pictures. People came from every direction at all different days and times and methods, then regrouped and rode in all different directions, yet it all seems like one big ride. I like that a bunch of people actually rode out there. Nobody froze to death or overheated. I don't think anyone got hurt badly and there didn't appear to be any major breakdowns. Any problems were dealt with on the trail. It appears everyone got something to drink, even with Rob and John there and everyone got something to eat. Lots of ground was covered and lots of different areas were visited. Then everyone made it back home safely.

What a great adventure ride. :clap

That I missed. :cry Next time for sure. :deal
  3. herrhelmet

herrhelmet Land n sea adv

Oddometer:
    Surprising----thought they were all voting on Healthcare reform that day:rofl
  4. Conner

Conner CodeNameChuck

Oddometer:
    I passed thru The Valley a few weeks ago on my 1200r. I've stayed at Panamint a couple times and decided it would be a good chance to see it off road, and meet some of the So Cal brass.
    I left Sacramento, drove thru Lake Tahoe and down 395 in a viscious headwind. My poor little underpowered Mazda pickup was straining. Talked to a local in Lone Pine, almost stayed there, but he said the wind might be a lot calmer just over the hill. You know how it is in the mountains. Made it to Panamint Springs around 4:00 pm. Is there a more spectacular drive anywhere? Hooked up with a couple other Nor Cal folks and plotted Fridays ride.
    StevefromGV on his 9fiddy Adventure and I on the small but mighty Yamaha wr250r rode over to Beaty where I filled my tiny gas tank then down Titus Canyon. Had never been there. Wow. Passed a tarantula the size of a frisbee. Spiders are my one irrational fear. Had I been at home, I'da probably blasted 12 guage sized hole in my floor and gotten arrested for discharging a firearm in the city. But since this was his home, not mine, I scurried away.
    Saturday, William (already forgot your handle buddy) and I rode up to Keeler then up to Cerro Gordo. Another Wow. At the top a we talked to a caretaker and got a little history, he asked me how much air pressure I was running, "28psi" I proudly replied. He laughed and convinced me I wouldn't get a pinch flat if I went down to 18 or a little less. Besides he said, a flat is easier to fix than a broken shoulder. This little mod totally transformed how the 250 steered and handled in general. Felt like I gained 5 inches of suspension. From on marbles to rails. Thanks William!
    Hooked up with Matt (I think) after lunch for a little exploration around Darwin. Right up the road. By the time I crossed the first wash, the 525 KTM was a quarter mile ahead of me. By the first sweeper, he was gone.
    We later ran into a group coming back from CG the other way, I heard Cathy laugh when I said by the time I caught up to Matt, the dust had settled and the seasons were changing...
    And whoever was puking their guts out in the loo Sunday morning will be glad to know I did the same thing after I got home. Feeling better today. Damn Swines.
    This place is on my Go To list for any future gatherings. A more spectacular place doesn't exist. Thanks to all, see you on the trail.

Conner in Sacramento
  5. Jenn

Jenn praise seitan! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome photos, everyone! Looks like a fantastic trip - but chilly?

Oh - Cathy!

EXACTLY! Apparently, this is where they had shot some album cover - but the Joshua tree fell down - this was one of the locations where they had a photo shoot for photos that appear on "The Joshua Tree." Someone has documented this on a nicely on a web page - check it out!
  6. sopascat

sopascat not much of an adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    not at all chilly, warmer than I expected, & warmer than last year at the same time
  7. DannyG

DannyG I have the waypoint.

Oddometer:

:lol3 i feel the same
  8. sopascat

sopascat not much of an adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :nod ...next step, get set up to camp off the bike, sure would save on gas
  9. duitswes

duitswes NAM Biker in CA

Oddometer:
    He rode about about 10 yards on hardpack before he went Halleluja! I think we have a definite convert here.
  10. StevefrmGV

StevefrmGV MotoBro's RetroCycle's

Oddometer:
    <TABLE style="WIDTH: auto"><TBODY><TR><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 11px; FONT-FAMILY: arial,sans-serif; TEXT-ALIGN: right">From Death Valley Moto Ride</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE style="WIDTH: auto"><TBODY><TR><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 11px; FONT-FAMILY: arial,sans-serif; TEXT-ALIGN: right">From Death Valley Moto Ride</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE style="WIDTH: auto"><TBODY><TR><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 11px; FONT-FAMILY: arial,sans-serif; TEXT-ALIGN: right">From Death Valley Moto Ride</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="WIDTH: auto"><TBODY><TR><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 11px; FONT-FAMILY: arial,sans-serif; TEXT-ALIGN: right">From Death Valley Moto Ride</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  11. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    Don't neglect to click on any of StevefrmGV's photos. He's actually got 89 great pics from this ride. Not sure how he had time to ride.
  12. RiverRat

RiverRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone for making the Panamint Springs Swine Flu ride fun and memorable. Spafxr and Oly for food and many others for good times and drinks!

I met up with PunkEnduro thursday and we immediately hit some fun trails just a couple blocks from his house. Some are really knarly but we just went on the easy stuff because my bike was loaded with gear.

[​IMG]

To make time we took hwy 15 up to the 395 and then hit some well welcome dirt roads. We met up with SepticSkeptic and hit it!

I didn't get to stop and take pics. Being the slow guy in a fast group I had to concentrate. After all getting lost and dying out in the desert isn't much of a living.

But PE had issues with his luggage and I caught up. I guess the kawasaki liked his jacket because it ate it on the powerline road just south of four corners in the Mojave.

[​IMG]

Thing is a cold 24oz tecate was in stuck in the pocket and leaking. We quickly broke out tools to get to the beer and pass it around. Nothing worse than wasting beer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Oly

Oly Deadlines whooshing by

Oddometer:

Glad to see you back on line. :D

I thought perhaps you rode home through Mojave and were stuck out there somewhere.
  14. RiverRat

RiverRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha!

Daylight savings means short days and cold nights. We wanted to find the Husky Monument (memorial for moto riders). We didn't know the exact location but had a good idea of its location by stopping and having a looksy of the surrounding mountains.

[​IMG]

We finally found it. The husky and other monuments were looking good. Someone had recently put up new US flags too. We had a couple beers and then discussed where to camp. With SS in the lead we found some fun single track and ended up on on a dry lake. I reckon this is as good of place as any.

[​IMG]

Tequila and garlic shrimp. Cold night but the big agnes zero degree storm bag felt like sleeping at home on the couch.

[​IMG]
  15. RiverRat

RiverRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Friday we mess around Randsburg. We had about 4 hrs to spare before the 11 am meeting time so we messed around in the hills.

Morning on the playa
    [​IMG]

The husky

[​IMG]
  16. RiverRat

RiverRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    We got to the town of randsburg around 8AM friday. We hung around across the street from the White House Saloon waiting for the general store to open for business.

I charged the electronic gadgets and hooted 'n holler at some tourists women that drove up.

Finally the store opened doors but they don't serve bacon just eggs and what not. I talked to the women working the store about gold and she said she's doing mighty fine. She pointed to a chalk board with the current price of gold. Said she's got lots and pans drywashes.

After the beer incident I thought i'd be smart to load up on beers

[​IMG]

A few ADVrs show up and we head off. The Piute guys were running late and we'd meet them later in Trona.

I was looking forward to Fridays ride. we took dirt trails to the pinnacles and into trona. From there we'd ride the Manly escape route into panamint valley. On the n00b ride we tried to find this trail but got lost on military land. After a really good burrito at the local feeding hole we all took off for the Manly trail.

Looking down into Panamint Valley

[​IMG]

"Oh no you didn't!" says Stu.

[​IMG]

Stu was going to stay with the bike while someone went for parts. I took some pics cause next time I see Stu he maybe nothin' but buzzards n' bones.

[​IMG]

Some are better equipped than others at passing the time.

[​IMG]
  17. RiverRat

RiverRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Coming up the first difficult section on the way to the cabin.

[​IMG]

PE makes it look easy. It's difficult to keep him in focus. He's that fast!

"I ain't afraid of no rocks!"

[​IMG]

Impressive riding on those big bikes. I'd never try riding one up here.

[​IMG]
  18. RiverRat

RiverRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some carnage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PE really hates his luggage. He's always trying to kill it.

[​IMG]
  19. punkenduro

punkenduro now in a cage...

Oddometer:
    cant wait for rr to finish putting up his pics. what all did you do after sunday morning?
  20. RiverRat

RiverRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't have the skill to make it up the dry waterfalls. The DRZ ended up taking a bad fall.

When I picked it up there was coolant dripping off the frame. I said "You don't stop a-leakin', I'm gonna whomp you with a knotted plow line!" Well i pushed on a bit but it was obvious the leak wasn't going to stop on its own. I decided to turn back and coast full speed down the hill and hope to meet up with someone.

I saw Oly and itsatdm on the way back. itsatdm's bike was electrically dead. It wouldn't run, start or 'nothin.

I decide I should get down the hill and make it to Ballarat as quick as possible with the ever decreasing amount of coolant in the bike.

I get down to the main dirt road and stop a guy in a F350. I ask if he's got any heater hose and he says no but reckons the truck a mile or so up the road does. Things were looking real bad at this point. I didn't think I was gonna make it so I got mean. I mean plum, mad dog mean. Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. I went wfo to catch up with the truck.

Turns out it was a Komatasu heavy equipment welder. I asked him for some heater hose but he didn't have any. Then he said, "wait, I got an idea!" He had one of those big equipment trucks with built in compressed air tank. He cut off a piece of hose and gave it to me!

So I break out the toolbag and go to work...

[​IMG]

The radiator wasn't looking so healthy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I threw some Johnny Cash on the portable and drank some tequila while I devised a plan....

I came up with this. Bypass one of the radiators with a piece of air hose.

[​IMG]

While all this was happening Oly drives by, with trailer in tow, drops off a beer and then goes down to pick up itsatdm and the dead kawasaki. :1drink

Since the bike lost 50% of its cooling capacity I rewired the fan to a switch so I could turn it on while riding slow. The field expedient repair worked and got me another day of riding in death valley and 400 + miles home to AZ.