Pandilla Terracería a Creel: Road Less Traveled Part 3

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gaspipe, Oct 18, 2006.

1. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    doood

beauty
  2. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    We rode around the boulders through a gap in the pines, and though a small rock garden. No hay problemo.

But it's time to kiss the ring, guys -- this was what we'd been training for all three days prior :lol3 :rofl

In all seriousness, the 12 miles, by the way the thick-billed parrot flies from Tutuaca to Highway 16, was perhaps the longest ~20 miles of technical terrain I'd done in a long, long time. It was AWESOME.

The rainfall had long ago etched away the soil, leaving only a cornucopia of ball-bearing replica rocks for us to forge our way through. This section did more to wearing out our rubber than perhaps most of the trip before this point.

[​IMG]

The XR650R felt like a dump truck with a rubber pitman arm. I wished I had my RTX212 in here, or perhaps a CR250R. But I didn't. What we had were three XR650R's with 6+ gallons of fuel and gear, a TE610 with 3+ gallons and gear, and a 525EXC with 5.5+ gallons and gear - big, corpulent, piggy, fatso bikes in a place that would make a good observed trials course. Funny thing is we all had a smile from ear to ear.

[​IMG]

We sweated, grunted, ground some skidplate, and shredded some knobbies - and we all loved every darned minute of it. And no one dropped a bike. We were in the zone. This was the stuff you remember for a lifetime, maybe two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As we approached the world once again, we were rewarded with an easy cruise, past beautiful pastures nestled between incredibly rugged mountain terrain.

[​IMG]

I wanted to stop here and just take it in for a while, as fantastic as is was, but we need to be in Creel this evening. So we motored on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We reached the three or four adobe buildings of Piedras Azules, all wondering why the name. Blue Rocks? A mile down the road, it became obvious why this place had that name.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We played in that sandbox for a bit, like the kids we are, and then continued onwards.

[​IMG]

When we reached Highway 16 - Ibarra and I were jacked up! We did it! We rode what no one thought possible. Very likely, we were the first bikes to ever ride through here. It'd taken three years to figure this route out, and the excitement was tangible. Motors revving and horns beeping, we lept onto our pavement penance, with our sights on Basaseachi Falls.

[​IMG]

My mind started thinking about some new, alternate routes....what would we need to do to bypass Creel altogether............ :scratch

--more tomorrow--
  3. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    GasPipe you covered the almost unridable road from Tutuaca very well--I'll just throw in a few pics you didn't have.

My personal favorite---------yeh---another damn bridge---sorry :D
    We rode thru a small rio and off to the side was a suspension bridge for foot traffic-----I like those suspension bridges.
    [​IMG]

This is pretty much all the houses in Tutuaco.

Population about 100 we supposed.

Very happy people who didn't have to put up with any noise except those pesky stinkin' dirt bikers.

I'm sure there were people in this town that had never seen a motorcycle before.
    [​IMG]

We hit a Pemex on the way to Creel and filled up.

Here I was introduced to the man in the middle of this picture and he called himself Al. Man he had a nice set of panniers on his Beemer---never saw anything like them--Hhhmmm.

After listening to the converstion a little I finally picked up on the fact that it was Al Jesse who manufactures the finest aluminum panniers in all the world. I've owned some of his products. Nice fellow--very easy to talk to.

He was trying to find the time to make something for us cruddy, nasty, stinky dirt bikers in the future. Can't wait to see what he comes with.
    [​IMG]

Pretty slick huh ??
    Forget it you can't have them---yet.
    Al was testing them. The fastening system was a stroke of genius.
    [​IMG]

We stopped to view Basaseachi falls and Paul is bored.
    He wants to know if there is really a tube inside his tire.
    Sure-nuff--------there was.
    We kidded him as he thought he was having a flat--but all was well and he put the thing back together in nothing flat (pun intended).
    [​IMG]

Basaseachi Falls
    "Bass-Ah-Sea-at--chee" to you Gringos

700ft. tall water fall

"Yeh------(long pause)---kind-a spectacular I guess"
    (LeeBob Quote)

LeeBob would always make a casual comment like this when we would come upon something that was just really spectacular---kept us all in the stitches the whole time.

I had been here before, but LeeBob and GasPipe had never seen the falls. It's a must see place while in Mexico.
    [​IMG]

We rode what used to be a neat unpaved route from the falls to San Juanito.
    It is now a ruined route that we hated------it's not paved yet but had turned in to a very wide gravel road with lots of truck traffic for the mine------the flavor once there is all gone. We vowed to never ride it again.

We did have some fun riding thru the dirt piles in construction zones and blowing down both sides of a slow moving 10 ton truck hauling rock-------in the ditch.

We arrived in Creel at our Motel in room numero uno.

It was time to survey our damage.
    LeeBogs aluminum rack had been bouncing up and down for the last 200 miles----the mounts were busted. He went to a local blacksmith and had some new brackets made in short time-----200 pesos please ($20)--what a bargain.
    [​IMG]

GasPipe didn't get the pleasure of heaving his Electroplex tailight into the river-----it was just gone---good riddance said the GasPipe.

His left turn signal looks OK--but it's not----it was torn loose in his high side but was still hanging on (and still working) by some tape.

I surveyed my bike and found I just needed a tire-------we all needed tires. We concluded we wouldn't make it to the border let alone finish what riding we had to do yet before the border--now what ????
    [​IMG]

Everybody complained about my smelly socks.
    Hey !!!! I brought 2 pair--what do you want.
    (Although I never used my back up pair)

My socks paled in comparison to GasPipes which stunk like smelling salts soaked in a Montezumas revenge turd.

They had become stiff as a board and just plumb defide gravity.

We burned them in a fire and it stunk up the whole town.

It was a miracle the Mexican Federally Policia didn't lock him up-------they would have regretted that !!!
    Anti-Gravitational Socks
    [​IMG]

"I want 2 of whatever is available"
    and hurry man---as my throat is terribly dry man"

See the little red fuel bottle on the table??
    It was clearly marked "Do Not Drink This"

It was known among the Pandilla (gang) as "Panther Piss"

The Tecates and Panther Piss were to very soon play a very bad joke on poor ole' Paul

I never got passed the smell of the
    "Panther Piss"
    [​IMG]

Well ole' Perro Grande" was already in bed. What a party pooper.
    [​IMG]

This is the painted wall in our room.
    It is about 14ft. square
    [​IMG]

Our tire situation was a very serious one.

It's not what you know sometimes---but who you know. Geraldo had a fellow rider there who was a physician in the city of Chihauhau (Arturo). One phone call and we had 3 brand new tires that came on a bus---we picked them up the next morning and put them in our room.

The plan was to do another days riding on a route known to nobody and burn up our old tires a little more--then return to Creel (that didn't happen). (There was a reason you will find out about why nobody knew about the route in question).
    [​IMG]

Windsors tires were slick as could be---looked like racing slicks.
    I knew they had air in them--you could see it !!
    He was going to put on my old tire when I took it off------but now I was going to leave it on for another day or 2 while we did another road that nobody has ridden-----he'll get a tire that may or may not get him to the border.

Met these 3 crack heads in the motel parking lot :rofl :rofl :rofl
    [​IMG]

And then these 2 crack heads showed up:D
    [​IMG]

They had run out of beer-----and resorted to something more potent---found out later it was butt powder.
  4. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Motel Services at the Creel Horizons Unlimited meeting--typical Mexico

I had to laugh when the power went off one evening---nobody even flinched--just kept on talking like nothing happened--must happen a lot !!!

We had no heat nor hot water and it didn't seem llike we were going to get any. I got busy and used my professional skills to turn the propane on---work on the water heater--work on the gas heater and fix a valve packing that was spewing enough propane to blow the whole place up.

We had one light bulb in our room---but I soon found (aquired--stole ??) another one.

Besides that---the water supply was an iffy deal---when you turned a faucet on you never knew if any water would come out or not. Might have had something to do with how we abused our toilet--that poor thing---I really felt sorry for it.

My plumbing bill for sending a union plumber all the way from Illinois exceeded $15,000 American dollars.
  5. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    :huh

If it's butt powder, why's GP got it all over his face? :rofl

Hey guys, you get my vote for Ride report of the year :thumb

(don't even think about it Ned)
  6. d0gWateR

d0gWateR Goat Stuntaz DSMC

Oddometer:
    Disculpe! I'm on dial-up and have been checking the ride reports section every 2 days looking for this thread to start. How did I miss it?? I haven't even finished reading it yet. I'll start chiming in tonight when I get home from work<SUCKS>.

I will get pics uploaded later today when I get some hi speed access. Here's my first bit. Sorry to all for the time-shift.

Oct 5th and 6th

It was a dark and stormy night… I pulled into a gas station 70 miles East of Douglas, AZ at 3:15AM Friday morning after driving 27 hours since I left Canada. I did stop overnight near Boise the previous night and was well rested for the 19 hours drive today.

The electrical storm was striking all around me and the rain was falling in a near continuous stream. A driver coming from the direction I was heading told me the storm was heading that way. Great. I decide that my time is better spent in the back seat sleeping than battling the storm. The fatigue finally won out over the Red Bulls and coffee, and I didn't wake until 3 hours later at nearly dawn.

A short while later I pulled my truck in beside the beast of much burden carrying the 3 XRs and Big Dog's Husky. In the lobby, I walked up to the first gringo I saw sitting with his laptop open enjoying the free wifi and introduced myself. Turns out to be the Big Dog himself. Seems the other boys had some much needed beauty rest to catch up on, and Big Dog had his body clock on a 3AM wakeup schedule from a project he just finished. So the Big Dog and I chatted for awhile before heading upstairs to roust the other two.

</P>
    I had learned that Ibarra would be flying in that afternoon, and we had the day to do our final errands and for me to obtain my paperwork from Mex customs. The rest of the day was mostly that, until we went to move the bikes around front of the hotel and mine was having trouble staying running. After tearing the bike apart in the parking lot and getting bitten by several West Nile mosquitoes, I was about ready to load the bike onto the truck and face the 2 day drive home tomorrow:cry , when in the dim glow of my headlamp I saw the glint of copper :huh where I should only have seen insulation. Victory is mine!:clap

Dinner, beers, bed.:1drink
  7. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Must have been next to your wallet :lol3 :rofl
  8. Stinez

Stinez Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer:
    :lurk

:D
  9. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    A few miles of exquitely twisty pavimiento punished our already sorry looking knobbies as we made our way to the Basaseachi shortcut road.

[​IMG]

This area is extremely rugged, and also very pretty. The smoothness of the pavement was much like riding on a cloud after the last couple hundred miles of rockfest from Madera to Prieta Azules.

[​IMG]

We stopped in at a Pemex. My clutch has started to feel really wierd, requiring a couple cable adjustments earlier today. In the back of my mind, I knew what the problem was, but was really hoping to ignore it. Al Jesse pulled in right behind us on his 1200GS, and as we visited, I disassembled the clutch lever to take a look at the cable. It was perfect - no fraying on either end. Strange, because it *feels* like a cable going bad. I reassembled everything and readjusted the freeplay once more, and it seemed fine the rest of the day's ride. Paul decided to get a flat, yet we could find no puncture. Maybe his wallet did it. :lol3

[​IMG]

In all the trips to Mexico I've done, everytime I've been near Basaseachi Falls, it's been dark or raining, or dark *AND* raining. This day, the weather was perfect, so I was obligated to take a look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turistas be damned, it was worth it.

[​IMG]

Basaseachi Falls is in Candameña Canyon, one of the only canyons left I hadn't seen. The falls are about 800 feet high, and run perpetually. It really is rather amazing to see. A day's hike up Candameña Canyon will present another waterfall, Piedra Volada falls, which was discovered about. This one is about 1,500 feet in height! I was told by a local that for most of the year, the water completely evaporates before it hits the canyon floor, so if you want to see it in all it's glory, hike up there in the rainy season.

[​IMG]

When we were at the lookout point for the Falls, some evil looking teenagers wandered in and out. Turns out they took Lee's jacket when they left! What really sucked was Lee's $$$, credit card and passport were in it. Steenkin' SOB's. The GasCam Security System nabbed a pic of the perpetrators....

[​IMG]

We took off in pursuit, and as we reached the edge of the pavement, I went left back to town to see if I could see the pickup. Nope. Turn around! I raced back up to the dirt, and took off after the rest of La Pandilla.

[​IMG]

As I rounded a curve, there was yet another pickup waving Lee's jacket out the window! They'd found it lying in the road, money and docs untouched. We'd figured the kids must have panicked knowing the sucio dirtbikers would run them down Mad Max style on the dirt, and they just tossed it away.

Lucky!

I decided that I hate this road. I'll never ride it again if I can help it. There's got to be a better way. Wide, dusty and full of traffic. :puke1 Me no likeee.

[​IMG]

Paul picked a seemingly benign ledge to lean his 525 against. Turns out it was cursed or something, as just hours later, he would be very, very sorry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The curse of El Diablo!

The construction going on made it clear this road will be paved soon. Perhaps as the feeder to some of the new mines now in production since the price of precious metals has gone so high. It made the last 40 miles suck as we approached San Juanito.

But I did notice two interesting intersections leading off to the right, just begging to be explored as we rode past......It was about then that Lee's Pro Moto Billet rack finished it's annual self destruction on that road, and we need to get that sorted out at Creel.

As we hit the pavement for the 20 miles into Creel, Paul, Ibarra and I took off in a knobby destroying race through Bocoyna, over the pass and into Creel. Ya gotta love it when you can hear the tires wailing over the sound of the motor....:clap

When we arrived at Creel, as usual, things were totally FUBAR. Grant Johnson reeled it all back in pronto and got us a room - except Paul (the cursed one) who got a spot in another room of innocent civilans.....

And the beer drinking fiesta began.

"Beer, Lee?"
    "Yes, I believe I will have two. On second thought, better just get a bucket load of them, Gaspipe my friend."
    "Gotcha..."

[​IMG]

We celebrated - we finished the route! But it sure would be nice to bypass Creel altogether and end up out near Bahuichivo.....The seed was planted in the minds of BigDog, Gerardo and I.....

---more later today---
  10. d0gWateR

Oddometer:
    :rofl

The friendly US DHS fellow with the long slender fingers and soothing voice made me leave my brain on the Canadian side of the border. They knew if I chose to use my powers for evil, there could be an Orange alert, magnitude 525.

A quick thinking problem solver and trouble shooter of industrial automation control systems and software by trade, I had soon resorted to shoving a knitting needle up my nose to manually stimulate a synapse to fire periodically.

It was literally one dumb thing after another. Luckily the crew of riders I was with were very forging, and surely have a much dimmer view of Canadians now.

I'll smuggle a spare brain in my tankbag next year, and I'll read the label on the camp-fuel bottles before I drink out of them!

I'm on my way to the Gatorade plant now typing on my cell/pda, excuse the brevity and typos.
  11. d0gWateR

Oddometer:
    fixed.
  12. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Ack! That sucks. Heal quick dude.

Ya have me all worried because my knee is still all swollen.........:huh
  13. Ibarra

Ibarra Viva Mexico !

Oddometer:
    Brucito, I can still rmember the frustration from last year, but this time, victory was SWEEEEET indeed!:rilla

Quoting a Raramuri philosophy principle "korima" which means sharing, it was great to have had the chance to share that moment with the rest of the Pandilla.:freaky
  14. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    :nod This was a great group to ride with.

Teaser shot for some upcoming stuff tonight... :patch ...where could this be? Not Urique, not Batopilas, not Sinforosa......parts unknown.......??? :scratch :dunno

[​IMG]

---more tonight---
  15. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    That looks familiar! I think I remember standing there asking Leebob for a wheredafugawi mint.
  16. ra2bach

ra2bach drive-by poster

Oddometer:
    doG, sucks, sorry to hear about that. now what, surgery, or just limping around for several months?

Bruce, haven't you gotten to a Dr. yet? any swelling indicates damage. maybe just some fluid from a tweaked ligament or cartilage but don't do like I did and ignore it for years because if the cartilage is torn, the edges get dry and sharp (like the gristle on a chicken bone left to dry, is how my Ortho described it to me) and will do further damage.

all that was needed in my case was a simple arthroscopic to go in and smooth up the edges of the tear. no biggus dealus. but by being a tough-guy (sissy) and avoiding the procedure, I complicated the situation and created needless years of swelling and pain, locking up, etc.... :bluduh

get it checked, you can thank me later...

most best RR, BTW! now get back in tere and finish this thing. I've been on pins and needles waiting since I saw the first installment... :thumb
  17. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    :lol3

I think we killed about a case of those things on this ride.
  18. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    I'm getting to it. No joint pain, just a funky bruise thingy on the knee. I hope :huh

I have some work stuff to get done yet this afternoon, but will post some more installments tonight.
  19. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    We need an official ADV Ortho...group plan maybe?

Great pictures Bruce, looks like you guys had an awful time.:D
  20. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    I've said it before-------"There's always broken bones on a ride with the GasPipe" :huh

Thank god there are usually his :rofl :rofl

He'd never break these -------what he calls feet tho
    [​IMG]
    These things are as wide as they are long-----he can put them in a boot either way---doesn't matter. They look more like a pair of root axes than feet.
    I've personally watched him break the bead of a Terror-Flex tire at Creel after walking barefoot across a really bad road full of 3 cornered rocks with those things.
    If he could lift his old wore out legs higher than his kneecap---he would be really dangerous. Don't get close to them in the wee hours of the morning-----a little playful prodding would get your eye kicked out---then the fun and games are all over.

If you don't believe me---you ought to see his one-eyed dog Kenny.
    Poor Kenny