Pandilla Terracería a Creel: Road Less Traveled Part 3

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gaspipe, Oct 18, 2006.

1. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Later---LeeBobs sore ass takes a turn for the worse.

Ain't no amount of ass powder gonna help that--my god man--what has happened to you :eek1
    Details in a day or two :huh

[​IMG]
  2. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    No kiddin'. Ride hard. Play hard. Crash hard. Most hard.

Hope you're feeling better.
  3. bahwolf

bahwolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hahahahahahaha! I fell out of my chair. THERE'S EVEN ROCKS STUCK IN IT!

(Enjoying the hell out of this one, guys. THANKS!)
  4. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Paul had an ugly night at K7's room. I tell ya it was the curse of El Diablo, but I'm sure Panther County's highest octane juice might have had something to do with it. Good thing he wasn't in our room, or our union plumber might have flushed him down the toilet - after he got done tweaking things in our room, you could have flushed a cylinder head after steam cleaning it in the shower.

The sad thing was the doG had to go. Although we'd sang his daughter 'happy birthday' over the sat phone, you can't replace Dad, so Paul was resolved to head north on the slab with one of his roomies to start the deathmarch back to Chilliwack. Vaya con Dios, Pablo. Me gusto mucho las dias que pasan.

doG is a helluva rider, drinker and all around great dude. I'm glad he came along with us - he fit into this group of bedouins immediately, and was part of a fantastic comraderie we had going on over the past four days. Anytime, doG.

And then there were just four.

We decided that due to my damned cold and some bike issues, we'd take a down day in Creel and get our stuff together. We were all a bit tired fromt he ride, and the bikes definitely needed a bit of attention.

Gerardo had his plate full as a co-host of the HU Meeting held in Creel, so he was inaccessible for the Pandilla for a good chunk of the day. What was obvious is that we'd destroyed our tires in just 600 miles getting to Creel on the route we'd chosen. I'd have never figured it was possible to waste a Maxxis Desert IT in so few miles at anything less than a race pace. We averaged an enduro-esque 25MPH!

Nevertheless, tires became a priority. My buddy Arturo was sought for some advise. Now, Arturo and I met back in '04 at the HU meeting here in Creel. The funny thing was that in December of '04, I was sitting in a bar in Gomez Farias on a freezing cold night with Justin Lopez and Clement Salvidori, when in walks Arturo. Clement and Arturo knew each other, but the funny thing was that when Clement said, "I want to introduce you to a friend..."

Arturo said, "I know THAT GUY!" as he pointed to me.

We all laughed. Small world this adventure riding community. Ya just never know.

Anyway, Arturo rounded us up an MT21 for the Husky, and a pair of MT32's for the pigs. They were tossed on a bus out of Chihuahua, and would arrive over night. Arturo, you ARE an amigo por vida buddy.

My tailight was dead. Electrosport's kit just isn't giving me the warm fuzzies, as I have had a number of issues, including (but not limited to) the following: two batteries, a new handlebar switch, stripped bolts, unadjustable beam, and now totally fragged the rear tailight assembly. It's time to ditch this and just build my own. Adios $400+.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lee's bike destroyed the Pro Moto Billet rack. It totally fragged itself and sheared bolts and lost parts. These were locktited AND safety wired, too. The wood proved to be a reasonable fix at the time..

[​IMG]

A trip to the local blacksmith yielded a $20 set of welded steel brackets, and you could have put a full 1/2 keg of beer on that rack after that.

BigDog worked hard too, but his bike didn't need any help, so he worked hard doing this.

[​IMG]

In actuality, he was ciphering out some GPS routes that we'd been thinking about since yesterday.

We wrestled Gerardo away for a bit, and had an exceptional dinner at Veronica's. Fat and happy, Lee and I set to work drinking beer once again with the boys.

:clap

We resolved to go for a ride tomorrow. A day loop - to burn off our tires and forge out some new routes out to Urique Canyon.

--m0re laTeR--
  5. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    This damned cold is kicking the hell out of me, and just adds to the cacaphony of bizarre and supernormal gastro-intestinal distress noises created during the darkest parts of the night.

A few cups of coffee and a half baked plan later, we'd accumulated Jim, Windsor and the Pandilla for a day ride to explore a new road none of us had been on before.

We had to ride tarmac back to San Juanito and then onto the Godforesaken dusty deathride out the Basaseachi Falls Road. We turned off at the first major intersection, about 25 klicks out from San Juanito. Now, this is starting to look good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This route will take us out on the outskirts of the Oteros Canyon, someplace none of this group had ever been. Not to be placated by the regular road, we turned off onto a narrow, rutted and rocky climb into who knows where.

[​IMG]

There's no one out here once we left the main road. No cars, trucks. No people :thumb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We ran over a few more ridgelines, and then the Oteros Canyon came into view.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, my. :eek1 We were expecting something cool, but we got something waaaaaaay more than that.

A few more miles, and the full monte unfurled before us. The town of Maguarichi, tightly nestled into the walls of the Oteros Canyon, revealed itself to us. I was absolutely awestruck.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

---more later---

6. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    The Pandilla didn't make much an appearance at the HU goings on.
    Seemed we were to busy riding or getting prepared for riding.
    I suppose we wouldn't have stayed there as long as we did if we just hadn't been so hard on our bikes.

So like GasPipe said------we are now off on a one day ride of a route we just hoped went thru. Seemed nobody ever tried it----let alone finished it. There was a reason for that-----and is why our one day ride and back to Creel took 2 days---we were worried that someone might send the search and rescue after us----but I guess most people thought good riddance to the Pandilla--as they were a ornery bunch---and that didn't count what we did to the toilet at the Motel :huh :huh

Gerardo was estatic to try this route as you can see.
    [​IMG]

LeeBob
    The very famous man in the yellow pants
    I like this picture of LeeBob.........as it captures his personality to a tee !!! Always a smile and a fun loving attitude.
    And he's always got a 6 month supply of rrrrriding mints in his pockets
    Altoids actually------------curiously strong !!!!!
    LeeBob manages a rafting and kayaking company in the Smoky Moutains of North Carolina.
    [​IMG]

This area is about 40 miles North of the town of San Rafeal which is next to the famous railroad line which runs thru the copper canyon area.
    We were North of it------and the plan was to ride thru these canyons and over those mountains to the railroad.
    It was a novel plan----but as you will see..........a plan is just a well...........plan.
    We were all estatic to think we could accomplish such a thing. None of us had ever been out in this area.
    [​IMG]

It started out simple enough.
    We had heard of a little village out here called Maguarichi.
    We planned to take a route just East of it over the mountains.
    [​IMG]

Ok--another picture to stare at-----and slowly drift off into a state of glorious adventure. The Husky is purring likea kitten----and standing on the pegs feels--------well................just damn good !!!!
    [​IMG]

This was one of the most remote, clean little villages I've visited in Mexico
    Word is that Gold is what started this town
    I think we all thought this is now our Batopilas----which is getting just too touristy for us----this town may see no motos in a years time. The old flavor was still there.
    [​IMG]

These guys had a load of big rocks

The truck was propane powered and the gas line from the tank--over the exhaust pipe--to the engine looked like garden hose to us.
    [​IMG]

As always--the local little boys were really curious about the gringo moto riders from far away

We found the next day there is a much easier road to travel on which is they way that people get in and out of here I'm sure.

We had a Coke here but made the very bad mistake of not loading up with water and food---after all---in 3 hours we would be back in Creel-----right ???
    [​IMG]

This was to be our route South--that was a fun ride up the mountain.
    [​IMG]

Our plan to ride over those mountains to the railroad---would go all wrong--and that's when the adventure started.
  7. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Oh man...Mark, your killing me!! I can't hardly wait to see how this turns out! Did any of you make it back alive? No wait, don't ruin the suprise.:huh
  8. RMac

RMac Cheese!

Oddometer:
    Fantastic story and photographs Guys.
    Thanks!:thumb
  9. d0gWateR

d0gWateR Goat Stuntaz DSMC

Oddometer:
    Taking advantage of the Pacific time zone here, I will backtrack a bunch chronlogically to share a few of my pics of El Pandillas great ride. I expect most of my amigos to be in bed now. I have my dial up connection straining to upload the photos, so we'll see how this turns out.

Rewind back to couple Saturday AMs ago on Oct 7th

Breaky then load the bikes out font of the Gadsden Hotel was an advrider junkie's paradise. There was a lot of sweet bikes and kit. Seems there was one other 525EXC ridden by a cordial fellow named Windsor. I spotted that I was a little low on oil (hadn't refilled enough after my oil change), so I tried to sneak away a few minutes early so I wouldn't hold up the group. Well, starting my bike and riding away was like waving a red flag in front of a herd of bulls. LAUNCH!

Of course this means I ended up being "that guy" that the rest of my group waited on while I added what amounted to 150mL of oil to my bike. I had also filled the tank for the first time since fitting it, and the 25L of fuel up front felt a little weird.

It seems strange, but we just ride across an international border. Getting into Mexico was the easy part, the challenge would begin soon enough. We zig zagged through the border town of Agua Prieta trying to keep up with Gaspipe, who was on a mission!

I had everything loaded into my GPS, but since this route has been done several times by Gaspipe and Ibarra I would be mostly following and not really navigating. It was an odd morning, sunny, rain, thunder, lightning, hail…and the BATS! Geez. It took half of the day to get comfortable on the bike and the heavy fuel tank and saddle bags. I definitely over-packed, and was regretting it.

I felt very disconnected from the scene all morning. It’s hard to explain, I was there riding but it was like I had spent a year building up to this and ther had been one hell of a sprint to the finish with work around the farm before heading down. It was almost "not real" to be actually "on the ride."

More story and pics coming....
  10. d0gWateR

Oddometer:
    We passed through miles of open desert, and several small settlements. The riding was terrific, yet I still felt a little awkward riding the loaded down bike and had a few close calls where the front end would plow through a low speed turn. Getting the steering damper set where I liked it would take me a couple days, it would turn out.

I lost Leebob in Morelos, as it turns out he was in front of me :huh duh! But I had a nice time in Morelos waiting for him. I found lots of wire on the ground which I stowed in my tool bag for future Mexicanada, and there was a little 3 or 4 yr old girl that would not let me out of her sight. The sun was hot bit thunder and lightning were only 2 klicks away so I geared up and headed back to the Pandilla with Gerardo who was sent to fetch me.

Lee and I had a tearful reunion :cry where I scolded him for getting lost!

Everyone in the group seemed to have no problem keeping a relatively brisk pace, and soon I was tearing after Gerardo having a ball. The loose sand and gravel of the washes turned out to be fun onnce I learned the secret "just let er rip!"

Our rain soaked arrival in Hauchinera was without too much fanfare initially, but we quickly became the town spectacle and the cars circling the town's square all evening were glad to have something new to watch.

[​IMG]

BTW those were only half my beers in Big Dogs photo... And that hand grabbing two beers at once can only be Leebob :) :1drink

[​IMG]

Huachinera was a great little town that made us feel very special and very welcome. Thankyou Jessie, Sra Monchi, Bernie, and all of our other fantastic hosts. I made a friend named Ignacio who is a 10 yr old boy with very good manners. His mom was working at the Taqueria that evening so he was around quite a bit. We chatted in my broken Spanish and he would raise his voice to help me beter understand his Spanish.

This was an unbelievable day from every angle, I couldnt imagine what could be as much fun - tomorrow would show me however.
  11. Lafitte

Lafitte on the lake

Oddometer:
  12. d0gWateR

Oddometer:
    Somehow we were basically the very last motorcycles to roll out from Hauchinera, but soon found ourselves on some very sweet offroad en route to Mesa Tres Rios. The climbs were steep and a little rocky, and I imagine we gained quite a bit of altitude. I noticed early on Big Dog wasa feeling his oats as I watched him catch some air off the rolling terrain.

After a delicious lunch at Mesa Tres Rios, we went to the local service station which was cleverly disguised as a house. The kids soon caught up t us. I jave no idea why this one kid's face was purple.
    [​IMG]

Windsor makes a few friends handing out some awesome stickers.

[​IMG]

Gerardo and I cross this bridge then stop and wait for the others. Only Big Dog has the huevos to actually cross the bridge - the rest went around for some reason. Then as we were chastising them, the timber that BigDog just rode over falls out and slips into the creek out of sight. Whoa!
    [​IMG]

We ride and ride and ride some more. This was a very chalenging day and like Big Dog, my energy was renewed after our lunch in MTR. Darkness was approaching and so was the lightning so we stopped an geared up.
    [​IMG]

I quickly found that as soon as darkness fell I couln't see damn thing. I placed myself 6 feet behing and to the right of Big Dogs AWESOME DIaBLO HID unit and like a moth followed him to El Largo. Lee Bob was my wingman and fellow moth soon, as both of us tailed the Big Dog for the remainder of the nght.

You've read about Gaspipe's unscheduled dismount -nuff said. Book it to El Largo and get settled. Here's the motley crew waiting for the butler to draw their baths.
    [​IMG]

Gerardo and I went for a stroll and came up with the bet damn tortas and some cold Tecates. Both were well received in our return. We were very concered with Windosr and Jim? that were behind us... Running into them the next day in Madera was a relief.
  13. d0gWateR

Oddometer:
    Day 3 was one up on the day previous as I was beginning to expect.

[​IMG]

My bike couldn't contain its excitement or fork oil any longer!

[​IMG]

Bastard! Brand new fork seal installed by the dealer on a bike that is not kown for devring fork seals. Sucky.

My pal Leeb0b, momentarily overwhelmed by the terrific scenery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Perro Grande and don't forget it!
    [​IMG]

This chalky white terrain looked cool and was fun to ride on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Monkey butt os not pretty for everyone involved. . .
    [​IMG]

I waited by this stream for a while for some of the guys to catch up and not miss the turn. Note we are going up the trail on the opposite side of the river. About 200 yards up the trail I have some bizzare get-off that nearly ends my ride.
    [​IMG]

Its midnight here, more tomorrow.
  14. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    dOgWateR---glad to see your most best pics and hear your take on the ride.
    I still remember with awe you jumping over that most bad cattle guard with the rubber bands that could grab you and take you to the ground.
    And thank god LeeBob had some "After Crashing Mints" (Altoids--curiously strong) for your most very bad get-off---------or you might not have recovered so quickly.
    It was great riding with you--------now-------let's have some more dOg as I have some "RRRRrrrrrrrrreading Mints".
  15. d0gWateR

Oddometer:
    I seemed to be sliding along the boulders for a horrifically long time. I recall very clearly thinking, "geez this could stop anytime soon" and then one I realized my knee had been smucked by one or several of the rocks. My arm was also pretty much ripped out of its socket.

It started out as a wierd kick off some rocks that sent me into a left turn that turned into a low side ending with the bike facing the other direction from which it started, and me coming to a rest just behind it.

Just a freak thing, but big wet rocks tend to make shit unravel pretty fast.

Big Dog and Leebob realized whether or not I was OK, there was a 6 pack of Tecate on the rack so they quickly picked up my bike and we had an after-crash-mint and rode on. I was feeling dumb again because I was probably riding a little fast for the conditions, but I'm still puzzled how the whole thing happened.

We arriived at this quaint little town, but did't dally, we had a bunch of ground to cover yet. After much more beautiful scenery, trails, and riding, we arrived in Tutuaca early in the evening.

I was unsure about the Spanish on the sign, but it seemed to be where the chickens go for groceries.
    [​IMG]

Thiis guy was parked at the gas station and I should note that we had been riding in cattle country since Morelos on day one and have been lots of caballeros on horses, mules, and donkeys tending to them.

[​IMG]

Gerardo feeding the pig a couple gallons of Tropical Fruit Blend Sunny "D".

[​IMG]
    Cute little Perro Pequeno that stared down El Perro Grande with fire in is eyes. Until his owner ( a young boy) grabbed him by the nape and carried him off down the road like a lunch bucket.
    [​IMG]
    The evening in the house under construction was as much fun as 5 grown men can have with their clothes off in the dark. Here Gaspipe looks ovr the wine list before we ordered our meals.
    [​IMG]

The others covered the warm hospitality we received in Tutuaca , which was consistent throughout our trip.

Before bed I walked up the road and called my wife and kids on the Sat-phone which I had done every night as my wife is a worrier. It was pitch black out and with the storm in the distance was quite eerie and peaceful at the same time.

We were all sacked out by 8:30 most likely after Big Dog played the ass-trumpet with gusto. Dizzie Gillespie would have been proud - we all were.:lol3

It was a cold morning, and fog covered the village.
    [​IMG]

The fence posts and sides of building became my kickstand. But what a nice backdrop.

[​IMG]

At the "gas station" they had the water for our camelbacks and a surprise breakfast. It was great fried baloney and beans with flour tortillas and corn tortillas. We sat and gorged in their tidy kitchen beside the woodstove. Under the woodstove the cat was curled up enjoying the heat as were we all.

School was in and the nine Primary school kids were out of the classroom watching us ride out of town. I stopped and gave all of the kids a little toy with a Canadian flag on it. Gracias and adios, it was off to the river that swallowed Gerardo's bike last year. Thankfully it turned out to be a non event.

We then started off on the rockiest 20 miles of trail I have ever ridden...
  16. d0gWateR

Oddometer:
    Thanks for photoshopping a little more air under my tires on that photo, I just Paypal'd the 100 pesos we agreed on:rofl
  17. lasvegasrider

lasvegasrider To the edge of the continents

Oddometer:
    :jerko Holly shit, did I miss a good ride -:becca
    :splat Funking hand bones :rad

I not only missed a great mix of terrain, weather, and places of interest,,,,
    I missed out on riding with a handful of like-minded nutballs who Get It. :getiton

:kurtOK, enough of me crying in my soup. :bueller

:beer ...Back to the great ride report!:beer
  18. brad21

brad21 We have a pool... and a pond.

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Awesome, but what else would be expected of the Gaspipe crew?:D
  19. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Maguarichi was such a sight that we HAD to go there. It was only perhaps 3.5 miles away by the way the thick-billed parrot flies, but about 15 miles away for we terrestrially challenged ground pounders. Jim's thirsty XR needed gas anyway since he had the smallest fuel tank of the XR posse.

[​IMG]

Oteros Canyon leaves a feller utterly speechless, but I couldn't help but wonder what road goes to the OTHER side.... :scratch ...where we intend to be.

[​IMG]

We cruised our way over to Maguarichi which, nestled into the edge of a multi-thousand foot dropoff, had gotten it's start as a gold mining community in the 1700's. Now, the primary economic source is timber - and my, how these folks have to work to harvest it and take it to a mill. The edge of town welcomes us with a hand-paved road, somewhat reminicent of the old cobblestone streets of Brooklyn.

[​IMG]

Cruisin' the streets, lookin' for fuel, Cokes and cacahuates - the energy food of Adventure Riders and their steeds...see that road in the upper left above the rider's head? That's the road we're taking :nod

[​IMG]

---more later---
  20. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    After getting a bit of gas and a bag of cacahuates, we retraced our steps back across the canyon, and took a branch off to the south that goes along the canyon wall, climbing to the rim across the valley. Where it goes, we're not entirely sure, but the GPS shows a route on through.

Somewhere over there.....

[​IMG]

Maybe. :dunno

[​IMG]

Nothing says singletrack more than this foot trail cut across a sheer cliff. A mistake here would no doubt be lethal - a thousand plus foot freefall awaits you. Those Raramuri have a brass set traversing these shortcuts.

[​IMG]

We descended to edge of a feeder river canyon - This is the road up the other side. Batopilas has nothing on this road.

[​IMG]

At the bottom, we ford another river, and begin the ascent to that cool road on the other side.

[​IMG]

Man, this is cool, and very untraveled. We've not seen a vehicle yet :thumb The road up is first and second gear, gaining back over 4,000 feet in just a few miles of switchbacks.

Professional stuntman, BigDogAdventures, showcases his wares on his cutting edge euro-wonder bike at the edge of a multi-thousand foot drop-off. :clap

[​IMG]

Let's look a bit closer..........Yup, that's a bonafide wheelie in no man's land. :deal

[​IMG]

The view as we crested the canyon wall was simply unreal. I need to come back here, and soon, to explore some more of this area.

[​IMG]

---more later---