Panhandle Old Guys

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by ElusivePedro, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Woods Rider

Woods Rider X-Crazed Racing Fool

Oddometer:
    Wow Tony that reminds me of when 4th gear decided it wanted to stay in Wolfs Pen Gap! Had to leave the bike at Highland Park for a rebuild.

Hope your green Kill-arrrrgh will live to haul you up there again some day.

Thanks for sharing !
  2. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    Nosir, that was my last big trip on that old bike. It served me well, but I've lost confidence in it, at least for trips like that. Got an intermittent electrical issue at the moment, but once I get 'er going again she'll be relegated to local commuter duty until I can find a suitable replacement. No hurry, I've got plenty of time between now and summer vacation next year...
  3. James Adams

James Adams Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought it was always summer down in the Gulf coast... :jkam
  4. ineptizoid

Oddometer:
    Maybe down near Sarasota, but here in Lower Alabama it's only summer 6 months outta the year. I gotta say, I'd rather sweat than freeze:nod

Gonna try not to sweat too much today tho, it's a holiday! Happy 4th, my fellow POGs!:wave
  5. ineptizoid

Oddometer:
    OK POGs this looks real enough, doesn't it? I mean, I don't see any mulch or anything. I was willing to believe it was real, but it ain't. Still a cool pic:
    [​IMG]

Hey if a V-Strom can fly then I suppose anything's possible. And this one is real, whether there's any mulch in the pic or not.
    [​IMG]
  6. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro Supporter

Oddometer:
    What you don't see is the horrible carnage just after the pics are taken.

the guy on the hangar floor is swept up into the jet intake and they both crash into the hangar wall.

the guy on the Vee eventually comes down and of course crashes his ass off in the sand. Plastic everywhere!!!

my guess anyway
  7. Davebert

Davebert Too damn serious!

Oddometer:
    Yep, I think it's real. :deal

[​IMG]

Actually in the jet pic the guy was probably packing the wheel bearings and they just erased the landing gear from the image. :wink:
  8. ineptizoid

Oddometer:
    Yessir I'd like to see if the Vee pilot pulled off the landing:deal

Hey nice photoshop work there:lol3

If d00d's packin the wheel bearings on that Canberra he's doin it wrong...looks to me like he's takin a nap. That's what I look like when I pack wheel bearings, which may have something to do with the custom millwork on my swingarm:shog
    [​IMG]
  9. Davebert

Oddometer:
    :D I have seen your handy work. :lol3 That can be fixed. I have seen other pics where similar stuff happened like loose sprocket bolts etc and then the repairs with a plate welded in as a patch, or just welded. But you can probably find a swingarm cheap on ebay if you haven't already found one. The nuts look like they should be on the other side but I read where you said that was correct. Sure not much clearance on that side. Are the spacers the same thickness on both sides or is one missing?
  10. James Adams

James Adams Long timer

Oddometer:
    :hmmmmm Hmmm, you might be right about the sprocket bolts. But the bearing on the sprocket carrier/cush drive went out and everything went awry.
  11. ineptizoid

Oddometer:
    Spacers were present and accounted for, but when the cush bearing failed it let the whole cush hub "float" over to the swingarm...and like you said, there ain't a whole lotta clearance to start with. Those sprocket bolts chewin into the swingarm made a small racket, but I couldn't hear it with my earplugs in. If I hadn't stopped at Buck Bald, the damage woulda been considerably worse. Got me a used cush hub on ebay, and I'm back in business. Swingarm looks a little hinky, but hell so do I.:D
  12. Davebert

Oddometer:
    Yep, I looked at a parts pic of the rear hub and those are studs and nuts holding holding the sprocket on and it is the correct way. Just looks wrong as most bikes (without cush hubs) use a countersunk bolt from the outside and the nut on the inside. I thought I read you had just installed new bearings before the trip. What brand of bearings did you use? Did they go in easy and the hub was in good shape and the snap ring in there? Just curious as bearings usually last a long time unless they see water and have lousy or the wrong type of seals. Center spacer installed?? Were the rubbers in good shape before this happened? (Never mind, looked at pic) In any event, it sucks that it happened. :eek1
  13. ineptizoid

Oddometer:
    The story of my life, in 3 words:lol3

Dave, I didn't replace any bearings before the trip but I did pull the seals and inspected/repacked both f and r whl bearings (along with the cush bearing, which is unsealed) the week before I left, and everything looked/felt great. Those were OEM Koyos, and I'm in the habit of inspecting/repacking them at every tire change, I've got spares on hand but never felt the need to use them. Like you said, bearings generally last a long time unless they see water, and Ye Olde KLR's whl brgs have very rarely been submerged.

This is what don't make no sense at all: on the day of the FAIL, I had just lubed the chain that morning. There was no sign of impending failure, everything was tight & smooth as it should be...and yet 200 miles later, my sprocket bolts are eatin my swingarm.:becca

I just thought there would be some warning signs somewhere along the way; everytime I've had bearing problems in the past, there were signs that all was not right in Bearing World way ahead of time. And I was 2500 miles into a 3K-mile trip, with nothing but smooth sailing, apart from an intermittent starter switch issue. I woulda bet a Golden Egg that Ye Olde KLR was gonna make it home just fine.:dunno
  14. Davebert

Oddometer:
    Well it sounds like you were on top of things and just had some bad luck. I found a bearing starting to go on my KTM a few weeks ago but it was only because the damned noisy Kenda TM2 had me thinking I had another problem. Loudest damned tire I ever had on the rear on any of my bikes. So I jacked up the bike and grabbed the wheel and felt for play in the bearings and sure enough, I thought I found my problem. Pulled the wheel and removed the bearings. The right one was the culprit and after popping the seals and cleaning for further inspection, it was rusting. Anyhow, I took the bike for a ride and the noise was still there from the TM2 but I probably would have gotten hosed sooner than later on that bearing. I always clean the open type bearings when I see them on other peoples bikes, and inspect and grease them. I even pop the seals on new bearings and add grease if needed but if you buy good bearings and the proper ones, they should be properly greased and ready to go. There is a lot of info in a bearing part number too, and some people just put any bearing that fits in the hole...Seal type and clearance are very important. Carry on...
  15. ineptizoid

Oddometer:
    Lemme tell you POGs something--I'm no expert on anything. But I can say with authority that Truman is Doing. It. Wrong.:wink:
    [​IMG]
  16. Woods Rider

Woods Rider X-Crazed Racing Fool

Oddometer:
    Marilyn didn't look intimidated. Truman did...lol:eek1
  17. ineptizoid

Oddometer:
    Alright POGs, I've just returned from a very important mission out West. In order to keep my credentials as an Official Sunset Inspector current, I have to do regional surveys from time to time. And here for yer perusal are the results:

This was taken at Estes Park Campground in CO:
    [​IMG]

Across from the campground is Mary's Lake:
    [​IMG]

Another one from Mary's Lake--we spent 2 nights in Estes, the weather and scenery were beyond satisfactory:
    [​IMG]

Somewhere off Trail Ridge Road, Rocky Mtn. NP:
    [​IMG]

Nymph Lake, RMNP
    [​IMG]

Bear Lake, RMNP:
    [​IMG]

Somewhere on the road to Glacier NP:
    [​IMG]

Many Glacier Lodge, where they serve Going-to-the-Sun IPA on tap, which I highly recommend:
    [​IMG]

The view from inside East Glacier Lodge, where they have Total Domination IPA on tap, which I also highly recommend:
    [​IMG]

It's sunset here, altho ya can't really see it. It was cloudy on the Going-to-the-Sun Road, and there was some light misting rain, but I thoroughly enjoyed it anyway:
    [​IMG]

Sunset on the Mighty Mississipp:
    [​IMG]

Here's to you, POGs!
    [​IMG]
  18. James Adams

James Adams Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap

I'm dying to move back up there.
  19. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is absolutely no better Sunset Inspector in the world and you have proved it yet again.

Man!
  20. Davebert

Oddometer:
    Nice pics Inept. :1drink Looks like a good time was had. I hope some day we too can do some of that fun stuff. Can we borrow the golden goose? :ear
    DB