Panhandle Old Guys

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by ElusivePedro, Jun 9, 2011.

1. ElusivePedro

ElusivePedro Layin' Low

Oddometer:
    Just so ya know what I was talkin bout:

[​IMG]

That thing was a $500 tire smokin' joy ride! And look at all that hair that isn't gray! WTF!?!?
  2. ElusivePedro

ElusivePedro Layin' Low

Oddometer:
    Just spoke with Pop. Whatta Dude! I was wrong tho - he doesn't leave for Nevada till July. As I type, he's looking at a elevated custom-built 3k+ SF foreclosure off scienic hwy. Built in '02. "On/in a swamp" he says -- sounds super cool to me. Only about 100k with all the custom stuff. Tile, materials, trick wood etc...... Now may be the time to buy. He does houses like we do bikes - But who knows.
  3. sallad

sallad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And now I gotta SELL these things???

4. AST236

AST236 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got home from Barbers. 700 miles and a whole lotta' smiles....

[​IMG]
  5. AST236

Oddometer:
    I know there's some overlap but thought I'd post it here too.

When? Tonight at 6:00 pm

Where? WOW Wingery and Cafe, Brewton, AL (at the corner of US 31 and AL 41 South, where you turn to go to Milton)

Who? Moto reprobates within earshot (screenshot?) of this message

Why? Because we can and life is short and nobody can have too many riding buddies
  6. Madhouse

Madhouse Semi-Goodlookin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qQMx8drdmUI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  7. Woods Rider

Woods Rider X-Crazed Racing Fool

Oddometer:
    Vic and I rode up to Brewton for the Wow Wingery get-together knowing that it might be hard for many guys to show up at 6 on a weeknight.

After sitting down and ordering wings AST - Frank arrived. The three of us had some good food and conversation before heading home.

The ride up was fun off Bethel Road and Three Notch. We found some new fun twisties with elevation.

[​IMG]
  8. AST236

Oddometer:
  9. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    The place

[​IMG]

da guys
    [​IMG]

Good to meet you Frank. Enjoyed the ride up and coming back it was actually cool again. Good way to spend Monday afternoon...
  10. AST236

Oddometer:
    Maybe one day I'll get me a Transformer bike and get to ride w/ the cool kids.....:evil

Glad you guys made it home safe. Picked my daughter up from VBS when I got back. Told her I'd had dinner at WOW and got the stink eye all the way home. :D
  11. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    Well it was a fine trip. Sorry that it's over, and can't wait to do it again!

Some of the highlights (not necessarily in chronological order):

Wayah Rd AKA "Thunder Road," 27 miles of nirvana
    [​IMG]

Parson's Branch Road in the Smoky Mtn. Natl. Park
    [​IMG]

US Hwy 129, AKA The Dragon, something every rider should experience at least once. I've lost count of how many times I've run this road--but it's been at least once every year since 2000. Ran it 3 times this go-around; for me, it's like crack cocaine in pavement form
    [​IMG]

The Dragon takes you to Foothills Parkway, which like all the roads in the area is fantastic
    [​IMG]

Then on to the Pisgah Natl. Forest for some exploring in the Harmon Den area north of Asheville NC
    [​IMG]

NC 28, AKA "Hellbender," this one's on my Must-Ride List every time I make my pilgrimage to the mountains
    [​IMG]

Enjoyed my time here as always, $15/night for camping and well worth it
    [​IMG]

Stopped by Nantahala Outdoor Center to watch the whitewater gazoonies do their thing--always entertaining, and FREE
    [​IMG]

Met my old FBR buddy Scott the Wheelie Master in Suches on the return leg of the trip. Got to spend some time on his DRZ supermoto--man, what a blast! Riding a supermoto in the twisties is so much fun it's gotta be illegal in at least 42 states
    [​IMG]

KLR ran like, well, a KLR the entire time. Best MPG I saw was 62, worst was 50; mid-50's was the norm. Didn't even have to adjust the chain on this trip, but it's ready for an adjustment now. The only time I got into the toolkit was to tighten up my shift lever. Over the course of 2300 miles, she burned less than a quart of oil, which is good for a KLR, although I will admit I was keeping the revs down, for the most part anyway. I may have hit redline a few times chasing Scott thru the twisties:ricky

What a great trip. Think I'll try to repeat it next year. You POG's are welcome to join me:thumb
  12. mrprez

mrprez KJ4WMZ

Oddometer:
    A lot of my favorite places too...let me know when you want to go again! I will go with you.
  13. ElusivePedro

ElusivePedro Layin' Low

Oddometer:
    Awesome trip report, Tony! I salute you :devildog on your incredible recovery and hard ass abilities. My ass would be screaming for relief every at every fill up. How many miles were you able to get per tank?

As usual with you - great pictures too!

Glad you're back safe and sound. If you have any more pix - post 'em up mang! I NEED to get over to DMV so I can get the old DR plated up for a sunset inspection w/yaz up there in BW!
  14. ElusivePedro

ElusivePedro Layin' Low

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a nice road trip! Last I went up to Evergreen, my GPS took me through some DEEP twisty backwater roads that made me keep on thinkin' "Man how cool would it be to be riding a bike here!" As if you didn't already know - AST's a keeper! :deal
  15. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great to see ya had a good time!!

I want to go in September too. :lol2

[​IMG]
  16. ineptizoid

Oddometer:
    I'm just a Random Dipwad, so no saluting please.:D

Ya wanna know the truth? My ass would be screaming for relief at every fillup too, if I tried to ride thru a whole tank of gas without stopping. Reserve on the KLR comes around the 250-mile mark, but I never went more than an hour or so before stopping to stretch/walk around/take pics. I never threw down on any really big-mileage days either, 450 was my longest day, and a new daily mileage record for me on the KLR. Not Iron Butt territory by any means.

The longest mileage I've ever done in a day in my entire life is only in the low 600's, and I was young and full of beans back then. It'd be a torture session to try a 600-mile day now, at least on the KLR anyway. Lotsa people knock out 1K-mile days on FJRs and the like and they say there ain't much to it. Maybe so, but zoomin down the interstate at 80+ for 12 hours or so ain't my idea of a good time...

If you want more pics I got em; will post em up later today.:thumb
  17. Hatch

Hatch We're not hitchhiking anymore, we're riding!

Oddometer:
    ooh I gotta find some pix for you

I really wanna ride my sm up there. :ricky
  18. ineptizoid

Oddometer:
    September's a great time for that area, leaves are starting to change and temps are cooler. Although the temps I experienced in the mountains on this trip (highs in the low 80s) ain't what you'd call hard to tolerate.:wink: And several times I was glad I'd brought my 20-degree sleeping bag along, instead of my 40-degree summer bag. (Ya gotta add 10 degrees to those numbers, as I learned the hard way in Boy Scouts.)
  19. ineptizoid

Oddometer:
    Lemme tell ya something--if you ride yer sm thru the Dragon once, yer gonna be hooked, and you might just spend yer whole day ridin that 11-mile stretch over & over. (Not that there would be anything wrong with that.) I tell people that have never experienced it who ask me what ridin the Dragon is like--it's just like ridin a rollercoaster, 'cept you control the speed! Of course, it's quite easy to get carried away, and ya end up makin a contribution to the Tree of Shame. Or worse. It's a fun piece of pavement, but it's killed a lot of riders. And if ya see how some of the crazies ride it, you'll wonder why there aren't fatalities every single day. Not much room for error on that road.

The night I camped out at Deal's Gap, a young feller took off around sunset with some of his sportbike buds on a Yammie R6; he had never run the Dragon before, was full of piss'n'vinegar, and had been warned by lotsa folks to take it easy his first few times. By the time it got dark, one of his buds came back to retrieve his truck, and brought back a mangled R6. Young feller had broken his collarbone and several ribs, and got a ride in an ambulance. This scenario happens all the time. I'm glad I wasn't introduced to the Dragon until I was 30, and had settled down somewhat...
  20. Madhouse

Madhouse Semi-Goodlookin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tony,
    Thanks for posting the pictures and comments. Your trips always knock it outa the park. I can tell from your report that going by youself allows a lot of freedom.
    Seems my trips always involve a group and but I'm havin a non-stop blast.

Way ta go Tony!