Pannier liners worth it?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Petrops, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Petrops

Petrops n00b

Oddometer:
    I have seen lots of posts on who makes (or DIYs) the best bags. My question is: "Are they worth it?" Of course a $2 fabric shopping bag is worth it even if you just use it once. But I am wondering if, in the real world, they actually get used. Is it the case that even the cheap ones don't get used because it is just more of a hassle than it is worth? Does a custom made bag that is likely to fit better going to lead to more frequent use?

I am sure that different kind of adventure means different answers. If you are going to a hotel every night that may be different than if you are camping by the bike.

I am just wondering if any of you bought bags thinking they were going to be indispensable only to find out otherwise. And visa versa of course!

Thanks
  2. pip_muenster

pip_muenster curious

Oddometer:
    If your panniers open to the side - as many plastic ones do - liners can help keeping stuff from falling down everytime you're opening the pannier.
    Alu panniers will leave a nasty black residue on everything they touch, unless they're coated or annodized inside. That's where you want some sort of liner - I've covered mine with adhesive plastic. Nevertheless, I'm using the sort of bag you can get at IKEA or other stores. They'll hold up fine, they have a shoulder strap, and they get the job done. With the bag, you don't carry the dirt into your tent or room. It's also much less weight to carry around, compared to a loaded alu box.
    I don't see the point in expensive designer bags. The stiffer they are, the more space they take away.
  3. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have Jesse panniers and use Ziploc XL Big Bags as my liners, they're 2.0' x 1.7' in size and a perfect fit for the panniers. I really like the fact the I can pack all my things in the Ziploc liners then go out to the garage and just install them in the panniers. And once you get to the campground or hotel simple remove the liners, much easier to find stuff then trying to dig through the panniers.
    Dao1 likes this.
  4. GPD323

GPD323 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have Bestem liners with carrying handles for my Kawasaki C14. Open the side case, grab the bags and off to the room for the night. Best thing ever. Top case comes off with a single push of a button, I take that in also since it has my cooler and food and some clothing items. Oh, and 60 bucks shipped. PS: I use them all the time for all my trips.
    20200212_142004 (1).jpg
  5. Petrops

Petrops n00b

Oddometer:
    So I think that the answer to my question is pretty clear: I am hearing that you guys find the liner to be valuable and use them frequently?
  6. phreakingeek

phreakingeek Big Ear Inc - Virginia Provider Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like them when I am doing trips where I am spending nights in a hotel. I can pack the liners with my stuff and use them like suitcases to go in and out of the room with less trips. When I am camping, i tend to have a bunch of drybags or cinch bags in my panniers and the liners dont really work well in that scenario.
    scootac and slipperyeel like this.
  7. lithodave

lithodave brachy850

Oddometer:
    Yes for me too. Cheap synthetic handled grocery totes.
    longslowdistance likes this.
  8. Pongo

Pongo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a set of the matched BMW GSA bags for the aluminum cases. They are water proof and come with straps to attach to the tops of the case if you need extra room. We use them as descirbed above when we travel, I fill them in place when I have lots of energy at the beginning of a day, and just get to lift them out to take up to the room at the end of the day when I want to get off my feet. When we are two up on the 1250 they get packed to tight to be able to fit in the boxes full. They cost allot more then other solutions but they are very very good and mine are 10 years old and still perfect.
    RoundTrip and Fastman like this.
  9. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    Use mine all the time. Very convenient.
  10. vince82

vince82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have them for my fjr bags and will never go liner-less again
  11. Petrops

Petrops n00b

Oddometer:
    Well that answers that.

Thanks to all
  12. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    As stated above, without some type of bag or "container", things will tend to fall out of the side-opening cases. I started out with the plastic grocery bags, which are better than nothing. I then found a practically new set of FJR liners on Craigslist for $25, they fit the Kappa K33N and Givi V35 side cases very well.
  13. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used to use bag liners, one for each case.

I just ordered a set of packing cubes, so now I’ll be able to compartmentalize better than having one single bag. I can divide my stuff up better, and if I need to bring all of it at once, it’s pretty easy to simply detach the whole case.

I haven’t used packing cubes before. We’ll see how this works.

Jamie
  14. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
  15. Stasher1

Stasher1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

If you live in the Atlanta area, you can save yourself a bit of money and pick them up at their office in Tucker. I bought one of their top boxes a few years ago, and picked it up on my way home from work.
  16. GPD323

GPD323 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have similar cubes that are in my pannier bags which separate different items. Clothes are in one. So I use both types.
  17. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    First thing I did to the panniers is line them with bunk-bed carpeting glued in place to keep my stuff clean for when I don't use the waterproof liners I use when traveling long distance. The carpet also protects the liners from getting black or chafe on the rivets etc.. YMMV
  18. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    I've been using cheapo re-usable shopping bags for aeons in all my hard and soft bags. Usually two in each, or sometimes one bag in the bottom with some crap on top.

The usual Walmart style bags are OK, but the Ikea "Knalla" bags are the best of this type by far. Very strong, super-thin nylon-ish stuff, and they tuck into a tiny package if you don't need them. They're $1.99, not the $25 Aerostich wants for their LP bags. (Although the Ikea bags don't have shoulder straps. Then again, they do have a Knalla backpack for $4.99.)

I think the "official" liner bags just take up far too much space and weight. They sure do look a lot nicer if you're the sort to inhabit fancy-schmancy hotels and you never over-pack. They just slot right in without the need to hustle your skivvies around for a good fit.
  19. deep6blue

deep6blue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup. I travel a lot and stay in hotels. Being able to just grab one bag from each pannier and walk in is great. Really makes things easier.
  20. craigincali

craigincali I'll try it.

Oddometer:
    Yes they are worth out for ALL the reasons stated above