Pannier Rack Bolts

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by MarcDanz, May 8, 2006.

1. MarcDanz

MarcDanz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So as I get ready for Memorial Day in Porterille, I went to mount up the panniers I got with the 04 I bought last year.

really straighforward, until I went to replace the 4 vertical bolts that hold the rear rack to the subframe. (the countersunk allen-headed ones)

Somehow, the standoffs on the pannier racks are about 1cm longer than the standoffs on the grab handles - meaning I can't get the threads to catch.

Am I doing something wrong, or do I just need to go find new bolts?
  2. mlemke

mlemke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My racks (KTM" came with longer bolts.....all new bolts.
  3. Swashplate

Swashplate LUV TO HVR

Oddometer:
    my 05 came with a new set of bolts. I do have a difficut time of lining up the right side rack. left side goes on just fine.
  4. FastEddieB

FastEddieB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I, too, had a bear of a time getting both right side rack bolts threaded at the same time. Lots of prying (and swearing). Took a length of pipe and a second person to pry things into rough alignment to get both threaded, in spite of leaving all the other bolts loose.

Had no issue with bolt length thought.
  5. tucsonron

tucsonron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same with me on the bolts when I put a new rack on (06). The bolts lengths are different and they were in so hard that they became stripped so I had to replace. I bought 80mm length countersunk bolts, that took care of the problem.
  6. MarcDanz

MarcDanz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I gave up, and was putting all the parts away in the bag of stuff the seller gave me...

...and there was a ziploc with 4 longer bolts in it.

I'm missing the crossbar, but I'll make one out of conduit. Everything is mounted and ready to go.

*smack* *smack*
  7. NothingClever

NothingClever Dirt Winger

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem and ended up having to completely unscrew the footpeg and side attachment bolts (the one that bolts horizontally into the subframe) so that I could put the 4 vertical bolts in first. Things lined up more easily that way. Also, coming in from underneath with a long allen wrench of almost the same diameter as the hole will help align things while you work the bolt in from the top.
  8. emelgee

emelgee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When you buy the pannier racks you'll get a full set of replacement bolts, slightly longer than the originals, as part of the fitting kit. They come in a sealed bag along with the fitting instructions, so if they're missing speak to the dealer who sold you the racks.
  9. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
    The pannier racks are mass produced and need to be "adjusted" to fit each bike. I got tired of all of the fiddling one day and simply took everthing apart and bent to fit my bike perfectly. Now no sweat.
    -cp
  10. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    The KTM panniers are a much of a Joke as the bolts they suppy with the kit (typical touratech cost cutting practice)

Not much you can do about the racks, well at least you can bend them back by hand if you ever twist them (very probable) actually the cross brace is imperative to avoid geeting the bags to bend the racks inwards.

for the bolts you can get much better quality pretty much anyware from ACE hardware to a proper techical shop (I'm lucky I have pretty much the best bolt store about 2 milles away from my house...) even stainless will do since the loads are not that critical..