Pannier racks experiences

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by floalex, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Braapncamp

Braapncamp Panzer pilot

Oddometer:
    I sat on it and tried, didn't notice if there was problems.
  2. dewaynehasty

dewaynehasty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I loved my Holan panniers on my 1190. I recently purchased the rack for my 790. I was very disappointed when I realized that you have to remove your side panels for the rack to fit. This is by design and meant to keep the panniers as close to the bike as possible. In my opinion it leaves too much of the area under the seat exposed to catch dirt. Now I'm on the hunt for a different rack that will fit my Holan panniers.

20200102_211421.jpg

20200102_211449.jpg
  3. floalex

floalex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can I ask how wide the whole set of rack and panniers are?
  4. slacker83

slacker83 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I installed my tusk racks over the weekend with their aluminum panniers. The racks went on very well without any fighting except the last step. It tells you install the exhaust before you tighten everything up well with the exhaust in the way you cannot tighten the bolts under the passenger pegs. Other than that they went on really well, probably even easier than the motech ones I had on my 1190. The panniers were more of a pain but not horrible.
    No-Fret and Smashy like this.
  5. MeVoGTC

MeVoGTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pics please? If it’s not to much trouble, a pick from behind?
  6. slacker83

slacker83 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry for taking a while here are the pics I took when I put them on. The tusk panniers are the large I think 35 l each side. I also have a picture with their softbag plates installed. The last one Luke just wanted to be on the internet. 20200202_131429.jpg 20200202_131416.jpg 20200202_131409.jpg 20200202_125410.jpg 20200203_134236.jpg
    Dan D., BHoward, 8lives and 3 others like this.
  7. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Just installed the Tusk racks. A very solid piece of kit. Easy install, everything lined up perfectly. I wanted an asymmetric rack to eventually mount offset panniers to, and these fit the bill. For now I'll throw my Nelson Rigg dry bags over them. Total width of the racks 21 3/4". IMG_20200222_124623605.jpg IMG_20200222_124534729.jpg
    No-Fret likes this.
  8. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    And here's a few photos with the Nelson Rigg Sierra dry bags. While they may not be the most durable bags in the world, they are pretty nice for under $200. They are 27L each, but actually can open much bigger than that. I've put an entire grocery cart worth of food in the two bags. They do come with removable zipped inner bags which make good shopping bags. If you're not going around the world, they're a pretty good option. IMG_20200222_185550518.jpg IMG_20200222_185733535.jpg
    DirtyDaveMO and No-Fret like this.
  9. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep the rack. Just look around for some black plastic sheeting that you can cut to size and mount where the side panels would go. Drill some holes, and zip tie it all down.
    JP4 likes this.
  10. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    DanOGrande likes this.
  11. vrenlos

vrenlos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First ride with my OM racks today - I haven't loaded them up yet, but have used them to scoot the rear of the bike inside the garage and they seem burly. Very happy with the fit/finish, mounting tabs, x-frames, and overall design!
    IMG_20200222_180628_984.jpg
  12. Mud Bucket

Mud Bucket 60% of the time I'm right every time

Oddometer:
    I agree they look super solid. I have them as well but the single bolt in the passenger peg is suspect for me, and the width acting like a lever fully loaded. I have 2 weeks in Baja at the end of the month. This should be a great test for me. We have 8 days camping in 10 days with all our gear. My 990R with a closer stance rack would have cracks every second long trip (2 weeks for me, lol). mild steel it was an easy gusset and weld, repeat. Best bike and rack for 10 years with all the follies.
    Back to the OM rack...... other things I like with this rack is the x frame for mounting, like for an extra fuel bottle and Like/hate... unsure .... is the width for the fuel bottle to be mounted in that space.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks good all together!!
    No-Fret and vrenlos like this.
  13. Billyj7175

Billyj7175 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tusk Pannier Racks Install with an Akrapovic:

I did some searches, and unless I missed it, it seems that everyone that has installed the Tusk Pannier Racks, did so with the stock exhaust. Today I installed some Tusk Pannier racks on my 790R with an Akrapovic slip on. I ended up needing some minor mods to get the rack to fit. I had to space out the RH rack 1/4" (which meant I had to source longer bolts as well), and the rear connecting bar 3/16" (again, needed to source longer bolts) to clear the end cap of the muffler.
    Also, I don't run the passenger pegs so it wasn't an issue for me, but if you do run them, the forward rack mount is sandwiched between the peg mounts and the frame, it would space the peg mount downward. That would be really close to the Akro slip on pipe just aft of the junction. Again, I didn't verify this, but just be aware that it may be a problem as well. I don't have my stock slip on, so I couldn't really do a side-by-side comparison.
    I know that manufacturing can vary slightly between models, so YMMV.
    Overall, not that big of a deal, but I just wanted to let folks know if they plan on running the same setup, be prepared for some slight modifications.
    BHoward, Fabricator and No-Fret like this.
  14. imzolo

imzolo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    floalex, all,

My brother-in-law mounted Givi's racks (PLOR7710CAM) on his 890 R and they flex horribly at the rear due to the flimsy, single-bolt (each side) connection to the rear crossbrace. Like, totally unacceptable flex. There's no doubt the rack would make contact with the exhaust in a down.

He contacted Givi USA, they sent him a replacement rear crossbrace and quarter-turn bolts. Same issue, lots of flex at the rear. Now Givi USA is punting to R&D at Givi Italy. I'm having a hard time believing my brother-in-law is the first to notice this problem such that it has to be flagged to Givi's R&D team, especially as this particular rack has been in production for nearly two years, now (same model for the 790 Adventure). I feel terrible because I vociferously recommended Givi to him as a long-term, happy Givi customer. All my Givi racks have been, and still are, BOMBER solid, but I can attest the design on this bike's rack seems to be completely sub-par. That rear crossbrace needs to be fixed mounted at least, and preferably with two bolts on each side, given the forward-design of the other mount points relative to the rack hoops.

Can anyone here speak to their own experience with this rack? Are you seeing the flex?

Thanks in advance,

Zolo
  15. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    They aren't rear crash bars... Just replace the quick connection with a bolt
  16. imzolo

imzolo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for chiming in.

I had a set of Givi racks literally save my life on an 1190 by creating a void for me to slide out of during a high-speed lowside. You'd better bet those racks were solid as a rock.

Zolo
  17. brianbrannon

Oddometer:
    They were on a different bike and also not quick disconnecting so no point in comparing the two. I had them on my 1190 and they were bent up nicely
  18. imzolo

imzolo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear yours bent up. That sucks. Appreciate your opinion.

All I'm saying is Givi USA was concerned enough with the flex on this rack and this bike to punt the issue back to Givi R&D.

I presume you have the PLOR7710CAM installed on your 790/890?
  19. brianbrannon

Oddometer:
    Fuck Givi and their weak plastic pannier mounts
  20. TiBasco

TiBasco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bumot racks on my machine:
    IMG_20210403_102841.jpg IMG_20210403_142653.jpg