Panniers that fit Touratech racks and upper crash bars that fit SW-Motech lowers

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by PapaWolf, Sep 16, 2019.

1. PapaWolf

PapaWolf When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Oddometer:
    Hello all,

I am planning on picking 2012 F800GS Trophy Edition up next week. It is pretty well farkled (aftermarket exhaust, Arrow headers, Power Commander + setup on a dyno, a bunch of Touratech parts) but does not have panniers or upper crash bars. I did search the interwebs for these answers for awhile before posting here but couldn’t find much about these specifics. So, I have two questions for y’all:

1. The bike already has Touratech Stainless Steel racks and I am wondering what panniers will fit on those?
      • Obviously the Touratech ones, as well as other flat-sided boxes such as Tusk, Happy Trails, etc.). But, I am pretty set on the Brooks boxes as they seem to strike a decent balance between price and performance.
      • I am thinking that I will have to sell the Touratech racks and pick up a set of the Brooks racks to go with their boxes.
      • I already have Wolfman soft bags for dirt riding, but want something metal for around town and road tours.
    2. It also comes with SW-Motech crash bars and I am wondering if there are any of the upper crash bars that can be added to these.
      • Something along the lines of the Hepco & Becker or AltRider crash bars.
      • I am coming from a DR650 and want to keep this bike in decent condition for as long as possible.
      • I'm thinking I may need to do the same as above: sell the SW-Motech bars and get a different brand of lower and upper bars to get the upper bike protection I desire.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
  2. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    Great! What's the build date? (To determine if it has the updated vented flywheel.)
  3. BlackTape

BlackTape fixes everything!!

Oddometer:
    You won't need upper crash bars. I got SW-Motech on my F800GS from 2009 and had a slide of several meters on street. They protected the airbox cover pretty good. Just the handelbars damaged the TT Desierto.
  4. BigBrian

BigBrian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am in much the same position as yourself. I have the SW Motech crash bars but I feel like the upper part of the bike is left very vulnerable.

I have been eyeing up the Wunderlich crash bars but between the upper and lower set, you're looking at nearly $700 USD!!!

I have the SW Motech Adventure TRAX panniers and I really like them.

Attached Files:

5. BigBrian

BigBrian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Upon further thought, I believe I am going to go with the HEED crash bars, they are a complete set of uppers & lowers and at just over $300USD they provide a good value.
  6. Alberto_H

Alberto_H Adventurer

Oddometer: