Pants that don't leak?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by etj, Dec 1, 2001.

1. etj

etj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, can anyone recommend crappy-weather pants that don't leak? I tried some Tourmaster Cortech pants and they didn't even slow the water down. Traded those in for some First Gear Hypertex Overpants. Way better, (and I LOVE my Kilimanjaro jacket), but on heavy rain days, still get my ass wet in 20 minutes or so. Not sure where the moisture is coming in, but it pisses me off...

Bike is a 94 GS if that matters.

Anything I can treat these with?
  2. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Aerostich Darien pants don't leak. And they have the added bonus of having great protection (buy the optional hip-pads) and are not bad in the summer with shorts underneath.

[​IMG]
  3. stevenknapp

stevenknapp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another vote for the darien. They will get cold (water evaporating off the outside of them and whatnot) but unless you wet yourself you'll stay dry.

The cheaper alternative is rubber pants (seriously, what do ya call those rainsuits?) which will work until they get clammy on the inside.
  4. etj

etj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Either of you guys riding a late-model airhead GS?

Well, maybe I'll give the dariens a try. I am, however, getting sick of 'trying' pants at $200-$300 a pop. Both the tourmaster and FG pants are 'guaranteed waterproof', yet somehow I manage to make them leak. One person at a MC shop suggested theres something about my seat that is causing water to pool. I don't notice much water accumulating when riding.

I might just buy some $29.99 XXL nylon rainpants or frogg toggs to slip over my FG 'rain' pants on those really extra wet days. But thats a lot of gear to put on. Meanwhile I might try washing the FG pants in something like NikWax TX-direct and see if that helps. I'm getting wet right in the crotch and specifically where the pressure is when I'm sitting - its totally possible the water is getting in somewhere else, travelling between the shell and liner, and ending up pooling down there at the low point.
  5. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    Add my vote for Darien pants. If it was going to leak in the rain, yesterday would have been the day. Rode for about an hour in driving rain, extreme wind and cold. No leaks whatsoever.

Marc
  6. mongo

mongo Visiting Your Town Soon !

Oddometer:
    I have Both pairs of pants your talking about.
    I have doused the Tourmasters with Kiwi Camp-Dry Silicone water replant spray.It smells to high heaven, but works great.
    I believe that it will efectivly waterproof any Cortech type nylon balistic faberics.After you spray it out doors let it hang in you garage or out doors for a couple days,and after a few rides the smell will be gone,and you'll be a Duck shedding water machine!
    You should be able to find it at any sporting goods store or if you going after Darian's, Riderwharehouse sells it for more $$$$.
    I also use Tourmaster Elite Rain gear over the top if I think it might rain.
    I live in Oregon and it does rain here and I wouldn't want get wet or stop my rides,or if I did I would never ride ,or at least ride in the winter.spring,or fall.
    Kiwi also has a bottle of clear silicone that I use on the seams and it really stops the crotch wet in the seat when water puddles there.

Good Luck----Mike
  7. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    The system described where you put FG's over your normal suit works great. Yes it seems cumbersome, but it does not leak. What are they $80. Who needs GoreTex? I even put it on under my gear when I know it is going to rain. Still works great. I am not a small person so the options for high quality gear is limited. I have found that the FG's prevent the need to pay $500 for Goretex and work perfectly fine.

I have the same problem skiing. No FG's on the slopes though. They aint pretty.

So long from Alabama.
  8. Bill

Bill Lost in Space

Oddometer:
    Same experience.

I don't think you can go wrong with Dariens.
  9. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    "pants that don't leak? "

Depends have always worked for Fish.
  10. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Necessary under a Roadcrafter :rolleyes
  11. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    I know exactly where it's coming in and I fixed mine. They don't leak a drop now.

The bottom part of the zipper flap -- the part that's maybe an inch wide and horizontal -- allows water to come into the zipper area. You can stick your little finger up through it to see what I mean even when everything's zipped up and velcroed down. Then the zipper teeth let the water through to the backing. After 20-40 minutes, enough water gets in to overflow the backing, just below your belt. So you have the sensation the leak is just below the belt, but it runs down into your crotch and from there to your butt (and from there out your ankles if you ride long enough).

So all you have to do is sew that lower flap shut and *presto* no more leaks. At all. We're talkin' bone dry. You can still unzip the zipper almost all the way to the bottom.

Darien pants are great but this saved me from having to buy them.
  12. etj

etj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting - I finally figured out where my water is coming from, and it is different. I sealed the hell out of the seams tighter than a prairie dogs ass in a duststorm, on the advice of a guy i met who works at REI and runs a 95 GSPD. Sat in a shallow pan of water. Still leaked. Frustrated, I opened up the lining a few inches. Here's what I found...

What i discovered is that I wasn't leaking through the seams. In high-wear areas where theres a lot of shearing motion (like the crotch, when walking), the seam tape sticks very well to the waterproof coating inside the outer shell. But ironically, it sticks to the coating better than the coating sticks to the underlying nylon fabric. So, in places, the tape has pulled the coating away from the fabric. I have attached a photograph that shows this.

I verified my theory about this being the cause of my leaks by applying a little seam sealer to the black parts where it appears the coating had worn away. The sealer easily leaked through to the other side.

I think this problem could be prevented in the future by using either a more flexible seam tape, or perhaps an additional layer of material altogether in the seat/crotch area.

As for me, I've slathered seam sealer at the edges of the seam tape where the problem is occurring, and hopefully that will stop my leaks. That was sunday, hasn't rained since, so I've not done any testing, but I'm confident I've found the problem.

Attached Files:

13. captnshaw

captnshaw Adventurer

Oddometer: