Paris / Dakar on 1996/55.000 km Honda 600 Transalp

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Lolo Prod, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Lolo Prod

Lolo Prod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2274FFA1-4537-4D7D-B17F-3052293A59B0.jpeg
    I never thought I would have to justify myself on that matter !!!!!
    potski, thirsty 1, td63 and 10 others like this.
  2. willibauer

willibauer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    great report, keep it coming!
  3. Lolo Prod

Lolo Prod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Get up early and go back on the bikes for 150 kilometers of a rocky trail. At this period and till March / April, desert is laways kind on magic. It's all green. But when I say green, it can be green fluo. Nature always takes advantage of these moments to show itself eccentric.
    The GPS indicates a huge detour that extends our journey at least by 100 kilometers. Today is what I call "punishment day" so we won't and another punishment and we decide to cut across a huge plateau and a lot of small wadis. Then we reach main road, the only one can can take you to Dakhla and the Mauritania. That's the punishement I was talking about. 850 kilometers of boring tarmac to Dakhla and then another 450 to Guergerat border.

50439770_2179764365420935_6802493959319846912_n.jpg

This day takes us a little bit out of our Paris Dakar dream ! To relieve this boredom, Amaury plays with the GPS and calculates the distances that separates him from the next city. By my side, I calculate evrything in French distance! If there are 450 kilometers left, I imagine myself as being in Lyon, only 150 kilometers away from Beaune on the way to Paris. Then, in Beaune, I expect yo be a little cold because of altitude increasing. But I know that just after it's gonna be better close to Auxerre City, 160 kilomters before Paris. I know that it won't take long before arriving in Paris.
    I use those very same landmarks here in Morocco and it helps me. It took us 15 hours of riding today to arrive in Dakhla where I do not recognize anything. The capital of Kite cool surfers has changed a lot. The two small campsites at the entrance of the lagoon have become rich accommodation at 200 euros per night. Not affrodable and anyway, it's not what we are looking for. Campers have invaded the place and in town it looks like Las Vegas!

50396373_2179764388754266_2512757864766898176_n (1).jpg

It really sucks, but we have no choice! The next day, we decide to make a rest day. Like on the real Dakar you know.The opportunity to wash our dirty laundry (it really stincked) and change our rear tires. Well, they are only 3,000 km in and they seem to be able to do the same but we operate this change for several reasons. The space released on the right side where the rear spare tire was attached, will allow us to stow a 9-liter water nurse. We gonna need it in Mauritania. Then you can think that 3.000 km is a real waste but I see it in a différent way§ Imagine that a next biker and dreamer of Dakar comes in Dakhla and looks for a rear tyre to replace his which would be really destryed. If asks in Dakhla, maybe he well get the chance to find our half used tyre to keep on travelling. I like this idea.

t is already 1 pm. What about eating? Burgers? Yeah, when you ate chicken tajine chicken, mutton tajine, camel tajine everyday, you need a good "French specialty". I am sitting in front of kite surfers to write you all these lines while Amaury goes back down town to get back our cleaned clothes. It will cost himt 120 dirhams, 12 euros. For such a job, I guess the guy who made it is not resentfull ! ! I met Mohamed, a French but Algerian origin guys, who also , runs the Moroccan tracks on his Xtz 660, despite a serious motorcycle accident that has badly hurt his hip. It really looks hard for him but he follows his dreams. On his bike is the logo "Dakar" but instead of Dakar is written "Pakap" which means "I'll make it". Since he left France, he has lost his boots that were drying behind his bike. He has had also his tires delivered to Morocco but had to wait for them for 3 days. He has time, I would love having this time.
    By 6pm, Amaury comes back from Dakhla and we get on the road to swallow the 450 kilometers that separate us from the border. 80 km before, we stop in a truck station! We fill in the tank, enjoy another camel tajine and a 10 euros bedrom. I know you are a little desappointed by this "poor" day but you have wait for next episodes, I swear it is worth it !

50846582_2179764425420929_5888088666017890304_n.jpg 51033629_2179764475420924_2394301038950612992_n.jpg
    potski, BillUA, NaMi and 6 others like this.
  4. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:

:rofl

glad you straightened that part.

nice tents....:clap
    BillUA likes this.
  5. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your Mauritanian adventures :clap
  6. forgorin

forgorin Stuck in Japan

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great adventure you're having. Cant wait for the next installment!!
  7. NaMi

NaMi Mirko

Oddometer:
    "I know you are a little desappointed by this "poor" day but you have wait for next episodes, I swear it is worth it !"

We are waiting and waiting...
    horsti and Ayep like this.
  8. Lolo Prod

Lolo Prod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    sometines, better than words :
  9. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    very cool
  10. DC950

DC950 Microadventurer

Oddometer:
    great video but the load on those bikes! Did you leave anything in Paris or bring it all with you? :D
  11. IslandMonkey

IslandMonkey inselaffe

Oddometer:
    Great stuff. Looks like a proper adventure.
  12. CapFerret

CapFerret Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tu as fait un super road trip Lolo!!!!
    Top tes vidéos ;)
    Tu donnes envie de faire pareil
  13. Lolo Prod

Lolo Prod Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. rockydog

rockydog just a guy

Oddometer:
    I've had about 5 transalps over the years, love seeing you floggin yours like it should be flogged
    mtnbikeboy likes this.
  15. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    those are awesome videos. professional grade for sure!

:thumb
    oldbeer likes this.
  16. ozcruiser

ozcruiser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great stuff guys looks epic battling through that endless sand.
  17. Lolo Prod

Lolo Prod Adventurer

Oddometer:
  18. potski

potski Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Lolo...Il y a une expression anglaise "dark horse", cela signifie quelque chose comme ... un gagnant inattendu, meilleur que vous ne le pensez. La Honda Transalp est juste cela. Dans l'attente de plus.

Cheers
    Potski
    Railrocker likes this.
  19. Lolo Prod

Lolo Prod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    here it is :-)

ozcruiser, NSFW and potski like this.